Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
slow colonizing Thai cubies - any ideas?
    #1451767 - 04/12/03 05:37 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My cat injected a dozen BRF/vermic jars about two weeks ago with a Thai variety from Koh Samui. Four of them are now fully colonized, four show only slight colonization more typical of 5 days, and the others have absolutely nothing. Nada.
He injected the jars in sets of four and heat sterilized the needle between each set. My only guess as to what could have happened - and it seems far fetched - is that he somehow killed the spores in the process of heating the needle (for the record he insists that he let it cool off completely before injecting). Anyone out there got an alternate hypothesis?

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
Re: slow colonizing Thai cubies - any ideas? [Re: jimsuzo]
    #1451779 - 04/12/03 05:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

PATIENCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Re: slow colonizing Thai cubies - any ideas? [Re: DSD]
    #1451813 - 04/12/03 06:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Dude - no need to yell. This isn't a matter of me not being patient - I'm as patient as they come. I'm simply looking for a plausible explanation to account for the fact that 12 jars that were innoculated at the same time with the same spores have shown such tremendous variation in the rate of colonization. Read the orginal post and think about what somebody is really asking before you go screaming at them. I figure YOU'RE the one that needs to exercise a bit of patience.

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
    #1451839 - 04/12/03 07:09 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

That's definately possible. You should have wiped the needle down with alcohol after flamming it to cool it down, if you didn't. Other than that there are still many factors that this could be attributed to. Such as the water content in the jars could be different, amount of spore solution injected, and not to mention all the spores in the syringe are different so some might germinate and colonize quicker. What's your temp at?

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

#1452056 - 04/12/03 11:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

We live in the tropics. The cat says the temp in the colonizing room is high seventies to mid eighties. He brings 'em inside in the AC for fruiting. It's worked for him every previous time.

The too much heat on the needle thing bothers me because 1) he insists he let it cool down and 2) even if he screwed up by not letting it cool completely, it would have cooled shortly after beginning injecting. Maybe somehow the spoores were preferentially distributed (are good spores more or less dense than bad spores - if so that makes reasonable sense). In any case, I've suggested he re-inject w/ some Golden Teachers. Go with what you know, you know?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation