Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMegaGoomba
1UPer
Male

Great source of gypsum Chalk
    #14515319 - 05/26/11 03:20 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Did you know you can get gypsum at the grocery in the form of chalk.

You need
Chalk white (chalkboard variety)   
and
For the easy way coffee grinder
or for the hard way a hammer,
a thick plastic bag
two magazines

I use one stick of chalk for 5 PF jars. The easy way to prepare the chalk is to put it into a coffee grinder and pulse until you have a fine powder.

The hard way is to set up on a hard surface that wont move while your hammering. first put down one magazine, then the plastic bag with chalk inside and finally put the next magazine on top of the chalk bag. So that you have made a magazine sandwich to keep the bag from ripping. Hit the magazine sandwich with the hammer starting out slowly or you will rip holes in the bag and pound into a fine powder.

After you have powderized it you can add it to PF cakes, LC, and Grains.

--------------------
You buy furniture.  You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life.  Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled.  Then the right set of dishes.  Then the perfect bed.  The drapes.  The rug.  Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.  Chuck Palahniuk

:mariopeace: My First Grow    My Strain List:mariopeace:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Great source of gypsum Chalk [Re: MegaGoomba]
    #14515340 - 05/26/11 03:25 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Gosh, that's got to be about 1000 times the price of agricultural gypsum.  I get 80 pound bags of finely ground gypsum flour for $8.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleLuger0815
noob
Male

Loc: @ Home
Re: Great source of gypsum Chalk [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14515361 - 05/26/11 03:31 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineMegaGoomba
1UPer
Male

Re: Great source of gypsum Chalk [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14515388 - 05/26/11 03:36 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I get 80 pound bags of finely ground gypsum flour for $8.

The idea is more for first time PF teker than someone who wants to have an 80 pound bag of gypsum laying around. If you are going to be growing a lot of mushrooms then you are right it is a waste of money buying bulk will always be cheaper. I think an 80lbs bag is a big commitment and this would be good for someone who hasn't yet been bit by the mycology bug.

--------------------
You buy furniture.  You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life.  Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled.  Then the right set of dishes.  Then the perfect bed.  The drapes.  The rug.  Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.  Chuck Palahniuk

:mariopeace: My First Grow    My Strain List:mariopeace:

Invisiblebootster
Male User Gallery

#14515825 - 05/26/11 04:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Go to a home supply store and they have strips of drywall used to separate items for forklift tongs that you can get for free.

Offlinequebus
Stranger

#14516029 - 05/26/11 05:43 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting source.  All of the garden supply stores here have pelletized gypsum which I simply wet, dissolve and add to whatever I need (soak or substrate).  I did find a bag of powdered gypsum at Worm's Way (which also sells coir bricks).

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation