Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately
    #14460387 - 05/16/11 01:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

In the past few weeks I keep noticing this scent sometimes a few times a day, Ive played games like CoD but the framerate is around like 13 and ive played it for awhile and there is no way minecraft could have done it

is there a bug in there or something?

help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDimi
The Mindful One

Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: Konyap]
    #14460746 - 05/16/11 05:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That sounds to me like when your system enters DirectX mode for higher performance graphics, it's getting too hot and overheating. As a result, when the temps get too high, it throttles back the performance of the machine to cool it down.

Check your exhaust vents, are they still blowing hot air? Are they clogged? Do you hear the fans speed up when you start the game?

Your fan(s) could be broke. If you don't know how to replace them, have the machine serviced.

Do you have a temperature monitor program on your laptop, if so use it and let us know your temps.

If you are overheating, stop playing games because that high temp will kill your machine eventually. Get it serviced if you can't work on it yourself.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: Dimi]
    #14466055 - 05/17/11 02:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Follow Dimi's advice and install some temperature monitoring software to get a read-out. Also, I'd recommend opening the laptop and removing all dust from the heat sink(s). Assuming your laptop is more than a year old, it could be clogged pretty badly. Especially if you're a smoker.

OfflineDimi
The Mindful One

Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: koraks]
    #14466679 - 05/17/11 07:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

also,

A laptop chill mat may help solve the problem (as a band-aid solution), and help the system run cooler all the time.

a couple good reviews I read were on:

1 Targus Lap Chill Mat

2 Antec USB-Powered Notebook Cooler

both can be found on amazon for a decent price

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: Dimi]
    #14466702 - 05/17/11 07:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dimi said:
A laptop chill mat may help solve the problem (as a band-aid solution)

That's what they are, and nothing more. The only reason to use one is if you insist on wearing shorts and putting your laptop on your lap at the same time.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: koraks]
    #14470849 - 05/17/11 11:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i remember my friend took a vent cover off and never removed it that thing man that thing was dirty

hes the kinda person that blows on shit

i could get a aerosol can of air if anything

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: Konyap]
    #14471464 - 05/18/11 02:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:
i could get a aerosol can of air if anything

Yeah, that usually does the job. And use a brush if the muck is sticky, which tends to be the case if there's tar involved (smoking).

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #14471474 - 05/18/11 02:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

They should add "Smoking kills your computer" on cigarette packs!

Invisibledallanh
Explorer
Male
Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: Annom]
    #14505986 - 05/24/11 06:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Laptops are designed to successfully manage the heat that produce, when, they are brand-new.  One major flaw in a laptop however is that their air flow pathways are necessarily small and low volume.  As a result, it's very common for lint and dust to build up within a laptop and restrict airflow.  Restricted airflow in a laptop will cause premature component degradation, leading to system failure.

The burning smell from a laptop is usually one of two things.  The most common burning smell is from dust/lint buildup that is causing an increase in heat, which heat is then causing the dust/lint to smolder.  This will smell more like something burning as though it were on fire (paper, sticks, etc).  Resolve this by blowing compressed air in to the intake and exhaust until they blow clean.  The only thing to be cautious about is blowing compressed air over any fan.  If you blow air across a laptop fan, it will cause the fan to spin at speeds that are much higher than it's rated for, and that could cause the bearings to burn out.  You can help avoid this by blowing air in short bursts and then allowing the bearings to cool before continuing.

The other common cause of heat buildup is also related to blocking the air pathway.  With some laptops, if you actually place them in your lap, you will unintentionally block some component of the air cooling system.  People will put their laptop on a pillow or a blanket and the intake will be blocked.  If this is the case, the burning smell will be the smell of ozone:  Melting the shielding around cables or melting other soft plastic components.  It's a very unique "electronics are melting" smell.  This smell usually occurs only in brief bursts.

There are other reasons, but the two above are the most common.  Sometimes really old laptops simply experience enough fatigue to the point that they start to break down.  Capacitors start to melt. Wires start to melt.  If you always use the laptop on a solid flat surface and the air pathway is clear, then consider augmenting the cooling system.  The laptop coolers are best buy do work.  I had a friend who simply setup a small desk fan to blow on his laptop and that proved to be good enough.

I hope this helps.

Offlinedarkfrostystorm
Stranger

Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: dallanh]
    #14511642 - 05/25/11 08:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, compressed air will not help you at this point, I had a laptop that was running this way, I had to disassemble and clean it, once that dirt starts burning it singes to your heatsinks.

you got 2 choices, take it for service, or the following:

My advice, find somewhere on the internet to locate the assembly manual, this is necessary, if you have an Acer they are available on their site for free, HP/dell/compaq all charge for theirs, although business class and alien ware dells tend to be the easiest to disassemble.

If you can't find the manual or one to a model close to it, here is a quick and dirty tear down for most laptops.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE MANUAL, YOU MUST PHOTO DOCUMENT FOR RE-ASSEMBLY / SHARE WITH EVERYONE IF YOU CAN.

ANOTHER NOTE, BE CAREFUL DEALING WITH ANY WIRING, IF YOU RUIN IT, YOU ARE SCREWED FOR WHATEVER IT'S ATTATCHED TO.

The hard part about laptop disassmbly is there is usually a screw through the hinges for the screen through the top cover into the base cover, without the knowlege everyone would fail.

Get your screwdriver set ready, a soft cloth (your screen will be removed in this process) and a soft paintbrush, compressed air, paper towels, anti-static bags, and your usually PC repair stuff.

Step 1:  Remove your CD/DVD ROM
        Remove your HDD
        Remove your Ram
        Remove any other cards (wireless BT accessible by a panel)
        Stash these in your anti-static bags!

Step 2: Removing your LCD Panel
        MOST laptops you can push the laptop screen 100% horizontal, allowing you to access plastic clips that cover the hinges and screws.
if this is not the case (not in the 4 or so I have owned) these usually pop off with friction tabs.

Acer laptops are a simple small cover over just the hinge.
HP Laptops have a cover that goes over the hinges, you must remove the screws in the battery compartment, it is the panel with the touch sensitive media buttons / speaker cover.

Some laptops have media buttons / speaker covers that hinder disassembly, these can come off as part of LCD removal, or after wards, but they allow you to remove the keyboard, and are almost always screwed to the case under the battery.

Once you remove them, or you see the screws as sometimes the screen just covers them, remove the 4 - 6 screws that hold the screen on, afterwards the screen may remove, or you may have screws to remove from the back as well.  once you get the screen apart from the base, it must sit face down on the  soft cloth so you can remove the screws in the back.

The clothe is only necessary for Laptop screens you cant disconnect from under the keyboard, HP and Acer keyboards can be removed after removing the plastic guards.

UNHOOK YOUR SCREEN AS SOON AS YOU CAN YOU CANNOT UNDAMAGE THOSE FINE TINY CABLES

step 3: Remove every damn screw you find until the case splits in two, sometimes one is hidden under the keyboard  it will come apart in layers, you need to disassemble until you can see the fan, this is where you will clean your CPU heatsink.

step 4: Reassemble DO WHAT YOU DID BUT BACKWARDS!!!!

Congrats, you are now self sufficient, I am not responsible if you FUCK YO SHIT UP.

If you PM me I can give a look around for the instructions, I have a few sites saved on my work computer for just this occasion.

OfflineTNK
Pleasures of Africa
I'm a teapot Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: I AM THUNDERBOT
Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: darkfrostystorm]
    #14514972 - 05/26/11 12:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

They should add "Smoking kills your computer" on cigarette packs!

No, they should add.

Smoking destroys any electronics that run the smoke filled air through them.

Cigarette smoke fucks shit up

--------------------
Edited by TNK (02/22/22 22:22 PM)

OfflineDimi
The Mindful One

Re: Ive been smelling this burning smell coming from my laptop lately [Re: TNK]
    #14515035 - 05/26/11 12:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed. it's a horrible source of dust.

Fact: I dust my computer about 70% less times a year because I quit smoking in my house.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder