Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here until here
Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: LukeSitewalker] * 2
    #16823728 - 09/10/12 02:56 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LukeSitewalker said:
Awesome write up, gave up 5 star rating, and voted up, A+++, and bookmarked! Thanks!

:super: Thank you so much!

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned I'd put together a post about dunking. I was at the time working on an "everything you need to know" PDF with Phoenix Crash and the dunking portion was meant to be in there too. I'm not sure if he finished the PDF or not, but the dunking post/portion is... unnecessary as result of the riduculously varied ways one can approach rehydrating the substrate.

Instead of making a new post, I'm going to bump this thread with some of the thoughts, questions, and concerns regarding dunking. There is no end-all, best solution for all of us. Go with what works for your setup.

Please feel free to add any thoughts or anecdotes you have regarding the OP notes or dunking ideas below.

:thanx: again for the support all!
:foshizzle:

Some Dunking Options:
1. Completely submerge the substrate.
You can soak in the FC or in a separate container, but be sure to drain it well whichever way you go. A soak for 2-4 hours is usually plenty. To keep the sub below water, some people use a weight on top while others rig PVC pipe, dowels, wire, or non-abrasive rope through their FC's holes. Again, do whatever works for you.
Big concerns: Over-saturation and subsequent anaerobic contamination. Breaking the substrate with the weight or when moving it.

2. Pouring water over and/or heavy misting.
I've read of some using heavy misting and others saying it is insufficient for rehydration. I'm thinking it would work well for mini-monos but for 30qt+ monotubs, it would be more difficult.

Here's some good thoughts on pouring...
Quote:

Blue Helix said:
Also after a flush is cleaned off the surface, one should POUR water over the entire fruiting surface.  I don't mean mist it.  I mean POUR it over until it is soaked.  If the substrate is floating on water after this, then you can pour off the excess or just allow it to float.  Who cares if it is floating?

I always thought still water was a problem, but BlueHelix is one of our pros IMO, so :shrug:.
I think the ideal pour would be one that completely absorbs into the substrate over the next few hours. This amount will vary based on the size of your substrate.

And another thought...
Quote:

Spongiform said:
I've just been 'watering' my tubs between flushes.  I weigh out the flush, then rehydrate with approx. that much weight in water.
So far for my bigger tubs, ends up being 1-2 cups of water and I do it about 1/2 cup at a time over 2-3 days.

Concerns: Inadequate water replenishment.
Others?

Total's dunking post
IRF dunking chat

There are assuredly many more links discussing dunking if you care to search.

Final points: Do whatever works to get more water in the substrate. Keep it simple. Some growers don't dunk at all anymore. TranscendingLife's One Flush Wonder might appeal to those of you wanting to avoid the dunk.

After the dunk:
We'll have a lot of water back in the substrate. We should use this to our advantage in rebuilding the 95+ humidity for pin formation on the second flush. Feel free to play with upping the light and FAE to get excess moisture back into the FC space. After a few days of this, set the timers/fans back to normal FAE and 12/12 lights. Don't assume the moisture is always excessive unless we see pooling. Continue misting as needed.

Anything else?

:peace::bliss::sunny::peace:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide
Time to fruit? Pinning Strategy and Troubleshooting
My Trade Thread (Fungus, Plants, Herbal Medicine)

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: Primal Call]
    #16825605 - 09/10/12 08:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

IME floating works fine, I just rinse the sub in the minitub and fill over the top of the sub.  Usually it floats loose, this doesn't matter.  Overnight soak, the sub absorbs a bunch of water.  If it takes it all up I add more water until it's satisfied, then drain.  It's in the FC the whole time, and there are no changes to the environment.  I've not seen any contamination issues that could be blamed on dunking so far. :thumbup:

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinezepski
Ya Momma
Male User Gallery

Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #16825742 - 09/10/12 08:54 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I always remove my sub from their container and soak them in a sink.  Never saw contams from it

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

#16826569 - 09/10/12 11:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Great input friends! :thanx:!

I'm glad you both use different styles to help further my position. Whatever works! :super: I've tried removing-dunk, soak in the FC, and pouring water over... all functional.
I'm still nervous of leaving excess water in the bottom of the FC, though. You guys ever have problems with this or are you always sure to drain?

:plur:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #16829022 - 09/11/12 01:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

My FC is separate from the minitubs and it has aquarium gravel with water and a heater underneath with all the right controls.  I do get contams in the gravel eventually after a lot of grows so I bleach them to sterilize and reload for the next go round.  But those don't affect whats in the tubs. :thumbup:

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

#17078769 - 10/22/12 12:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Added a few research updates/edits to the OP.

To all of you who have rated :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2: as a result of this thread, many thanks to you! :super:

:bliss::sunny::plur:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

Offlinedoodben
Doodben
 User Gallery

#17129793 - 10/30/12 10:44 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

How do you let it consolidate that long without risking overlay?
Does any one know what the original Sub recipe is?

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: doodben]
    #17131716 - 10/30/12 04:25 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Overlay is usually only a problem when colonization moves over/through a casing layer. If there is nothing left above the substrate to eat, overlay won't happen unless the surface mycelium is over-misted. There might be other causes I'm unaware of, but I've never had a problem with it.

The substrate recipe I usually use is horse manure, equal parts coir/verm, a little coffee grounds, and dissolved gypsum. It looks like 50/20/20/10/Gypsum.
You can look up some of the "grow logs" by searching for my name in conjunction with Be Positive, Texas, Costa Rica, or Circumcision is evil. There are probably more, but I can't recall the varieties right now.

:peace:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

Offlinedoodben
Doodben
 User Gallery

#17138125 - 10/31/12 05:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ohhhhhh...ok 

I will definitely do that!  Thanks !

Edited by doodben (10/31/12 05:48 PM)

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: doodben]
    #17139458 - 10/31/12 09:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Also check out my bulk help links. Be sure not to miss CH HELL's Additives and check out these grows from penhed recently. He's got some not so common additives in his mix that I plan on using eventually.

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#17575029 - 01/19/13 06:56 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I've rehydrated trays in my greenhouse from blasting the ultrasonic excessively for a day or so after first flush. 100% 'plus' humidity, with always more being added, gently allows the subs to soak with water from the air as it's saturating everything.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
• Violet's Teks and Posts •

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: Violet]
    #17582485 - 01/20/13 11:30 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Nice addition! Thanks!

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide

Offlineliononfire
just a girl
Female User Gallery

Loc: NY Flag
    #18662349 - 08/05/13 06:52 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

great post.  Very helpful info.  :havesomescience:

I'm really new at this and it seems that the contaminated jars of Bacillius, cobweb and even the pic of the jar thatis yeasty, all seem to appear normal to me. I think i would seriously mistake them as not being contaminated.

--------------------
:mushroom2:

Offlinesharkdiver
PE fool
Female User Gallery
Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: shroomiin]
    #18955705 - 10/09/13 06:07 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

That was a great post. Thanks for taking the time. What ever you are doing to get a flush like that..I'm all over it.

InvisibleOneiricOutsider
Drucid Leamer

Loc: In the autumn shade
Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: sharkdiver]
    #18955886 - 10/09/13 06:45 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

SO informative, bookmarked :thumbup: thanks Ryath. I wonder if most of this info applies to cakes too.

OfflineIshmael43
Stranger
 User Gallery

#19669463 - 03/08/14 08:52 PM (10 years, 13 days ago)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: Ishmael43]
    #19669510 - 03/08/14 09:01 PM (10 years, 13 days ago)

:facepalm:

nice first post on an old ass thread.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19669529 - 03/08/14 09:05 PM (10 years, 13 days ago)

:smbfacepalm:

OfflinePinkfloyd777
The infidel

Re: Cubensis Pinning Strategy & Troubleshooting [Re: PussyFart]
    #19670267 - 03/09/14 12:51 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

:rofl:

--------------------

~Mexican cub~ (first grow) frequent updates http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19721736                          :rockon:life is a beach.. I'm just playing in the sand:rockon:

OfflineGeorge Jones

#21899742 - 07/05/15 05:13 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate