Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefoxtym
Stranger
Re: ID Please! Ovoids? :) [Re: Toe_Jam]
    #14519976 - 05/27/11 09:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

E-in Liondragon said:
I'm not really sure what you think my "original position" was. I never said they only grow in flood debris deposited by the Ohio river, ever. You seem to be assuming things. Adopted your argument? Man, you really are mind boggling.

What you were saying is that they don't need to be anywhere near rivers. You may find a selection far from a river, but it was probably put there by man, either purposefully or accidentally, in a woodchip bed. It seems the park system in NJ has distributed inoculated chips fairly far and wide. When they are found naturally it is USUALLY pretty close to a river in an area that floods. Thats all I've been saying this whole time. And it seems everyone agrees. You seem to be putting words in my mouth.

I said the Mushroomobserver map denotes general areas, which is does. All are in the vicinity of the Ohio and adjacent rivers. My argument is that when they are found in their natural habitat it is usually an area that floods. The areas that get the most flooding are near rivers.
Quote:

foxtym said:

Readers: Let it be known that at least two members now agree that “Ovoids DO NOT only grow in debris deposited by floodwaters of the Ohio River”, but instead “grow in debris in and around any creekside or streambed or river floodplain within the Ohio River Valley and adjacent drainage systems”.

This has been my argument the whole time. I have no idea about the confusion here. You really must only read/understand what you want to, because I clearly stated this in my previous posts. This proves that you ARE hardheaded and like to pick fights. So does this statement.
Quote:

foxtym said:
Now see how well my technique for self-education works? 1. Gather info & compare it to the popular consensus. 2. If the two differ, post the unpopular opinion and let the debate begin. Quite often, as in this case, the popular opinion turns out to be incorrect.

The popular opinion quite often turns out to be incorrect? The opinion you stated IS the popular opinion. You think you, who obviously know nothing about this species, will come in here and tell experienced hunters, who have located and studied them and their habitat for years, that they are wrong, and somehow you are right? Are you a sociopath? And it is funny that you tried to back up your "unpopular" postion by asking people. Just for the sake of arguing :oldman:.

And I know alot about self education. See when I first came on here and knew nothing about Ovoids I LISTENED to experience, and did lots of research. With this knowledge I found them. I didn't come in insulting people and arguing bullheadedly about established knowledge.

Just know I have been studying these guys for a very long time, and I have found around 10 patches, I think I know a thing or two. How many Ovoids have you found? Wait. None. And I don't think you will if you get too stubborn about trying to prove that they don't need some flooding.

With your attitude I'm sure you'll locate them in no time.

OK, let me try to derail your trend towards personal insults by recapping our opening positions on the habitat for wild Ovoids (obviously we are not talking about cultivated ones). 

Yours is that they require debris left by occasional floodwaters from a river within the Ohio River Valley drainage system (need to be near enough to a river to receive its occasional flooding).

Mine is that they do not require debris left by occasional floodwaters from a river within the Ohio River Valley drainage system, but can also grow in debris left by floodwaters from streams and creeks far from said rivers.

So basically, let’s start over. Correct me if you think I’ve unfairly characterized your position or unfairly changed mine. If not, tell me if/how/why you still disagree with mine. And if you can, please be civil.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineglitche
Genetic Engineer

Re: ID Please! Ovoids? :) [Re: foxtym]
    #14520486 - 05/27/11 12:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Let me correct you all,

Ovoids don't need a river don't need water don't need oxygen don't need manure don't need co2 don't need anything. All they need is to be egg shaped =) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ovoids

you guys need to become best friends :tongue:

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
Re: ID Please! Ovoids? :) [Re: foxtym]
    #14520514 - 05/27/11 12:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, let me clarify. They do not require flooding from a river, and by no means does it have to be in the Ohio Valley, but they are most prolific there. That is the habitat where I, personally, have always found them. If you look in a place like I have described numerous times, your chances are much higher than a creek that is miles and miles from a river. This is my position. I have done alot of searching of creeks far from rivers, as they are much closer to my house, but have never once found them there. However, I have seen around 10 patches that ARE in the area closer to rivers and that have much flood debris. This, combined with all that I have read about them (pretty much every post about them on the shroomery and beyond), has lead me to this position.

You could find them far from a river though, I'm sure. If the creek far from a river is large enough that significant (albiet localized) flooding occurs, and some spores land in that area, chances are they would appear, because it fits their need of disturbed wood debris, and the flooding helps them spread to other local area by colonized bits of wood and waterborne spores. However, I haven't heard of this happening very many times, they are probably much more rare as you head away from rivers into the hills. You could spend alot of time looking in the wrong places. I have. Why not just head where you know they are prolific?

Anyway, I apologize, I did get a little frustrated, but I felt I posted my thoughts pretty clearly and that you simply ignored them.

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
Re: ID Please! Ovoids? :) [Re: glitche]
    #14520518 - 05/27/11 12:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

glitche said:
Let me correct you all,

Ovoids don't need a river don't need water don't need oxygen don't need manure don't need co2 don't need anything. All they need is to be egg shaped =) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ovoids

you guys need to become best friends :tongue:

And lol at this.

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

Offlinefoxtym
Stranger
Re: ID Please! Ovoids? :) [Re: Toe_Jam]
    #14520804 - 05/27/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

E-in Liondragon said:
Ok, let me clarify. They do not require flooding from a river, and by no means does it have to be in the Ohio Valley, but they are most prolific there. That is the habitat where I, personally, have always found them. If you look in a place like I have described numerous times, your chances are much higher than a creek that is miles and miles from a river. This is my position. I have done alot of searching of creeks far from rivers, as they are much closer to my house, but have never once found them there. However, I have seen around 10 patches that ARE in the area closer to rivers and that have much flood debris. This, combined with all that I have read about them (pretty much every post about them on the shroomery and beyond), has lead me to this position.

You could find them far from a river though, I'm sure. If the creek far from a river is large enough that significant (albiet localized) flooding occurs, and some spores land in that area, chances are they would appear, because it fits their need of disturbed wood debris, and the flooding helps them spread to other local area by colonized bits of wood and waterborne spores. However, I haven't heard of this happening very many times, they are probably much more rare as you head away from rivers into the hills. You could spend alot of time looking in the wrong places. I have. Why not just head where you know they are prolific?

Anyway, I apologize, I did get a little frustrated, but I felt I posted my thoughts pretty clearly and that you simply ignored them.

Very good. I think this discussion has provided a better understanding about the habitat for Ovoids. While often the communication isn’t graceful or pleasant or harmonious, the education it can provide is priceless. And while disagreeing often resembles ignoring, disagreements are essential to the evolution of information.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract