Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible5-HT2A
New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today
    #14498049 - 05/23/11 08:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Outdoor-Smoking-Ban-Goes-into-Effect-Monday-122415979.html

The city's outdoor smoking ban officially goes into effect Monday, and violators who are caught puffing away at parks, plazas and beaches could get fined $50.

Smokers were getting their last puffs in at Union Square Park Sunday, though some were skeptical the new law would be effective.

"A lot of people smoke," said Michael Deleon DeJesus. "What are you going to do, hand out a million tickets in one day?"

Dennis White, also a smoker, told NBC New York, "I think in restaurants, in stores, everything like that, it's a good law because you're in a building. But outside, I mean, you got all the smog. What's a cigarette gonna do?"

City health leaders say it will protect New Yorkers from secondhand smoke in what they call family-friendly places.

Mohamed Hussein said he and his 7-1/2-month pregnant wife support the smoking ban.

"We just don't like smoking in public," he said. "I have a baby right now. I don't like my wife standing near a smoking person."

The city plans television and print ads to get the word out about the ban but for the most part is relying on the public to enforce the law.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedemon66
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #14498095 - 05/23/11 08:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yay for smoking Nazi's.  This whole secondhand smoke thing is really misguided.  I think you get more lung polution from car exhaust than a tiny smouldering cigarette ember.

I love to smoke cigars, I am very considerate never to stand right next to someone downwind and puff away.  That is all smokers need to do, no neo-fascist laws needed.

Edited by demon66 (05/23/11 09:27 AM)

OfflineAltecLansing
Trafalgar Square Pigeon Fiasco
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: demon66]
    #14498180 - 05/23/11 09:23 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"A lot of people smoke," said Michael Deleon DeJesus. "What are you going to do, hand out a million tickets in one day?"

Oh the irony.

--------------------
I don't use jelly.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: AltecLansing]
    #14498365 - 05/23/11 10:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

They already hand out a million tickets for "public display" of marijuana. I'm sure the fine Nazi cops of NYC would gleefully do the same for smoking cigs outside.

Invisiblep_walter
Lurker
 User Gallery

Loc: Irrelevant
    #14498399 - 05/23/11 10:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

[...] I am very considerate never to stand right next to someone downwind and puff away. [...]

That's nice that you do that, but there is a large percentage of smokers that just don't give a fuck, at least where I come from.

--------------------
Coaster said: so i got free drug coupons witch u floozies refer to as "money"....

OfflineAltecLansing
Trafalgar Square Pigeon Fiasco
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: p_walter]
    #14498417 - 05/23/11 10:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

p_walter said:
Quote:

[...] I am very considerate never to stand right next to someone downwind and puff away. [...]

That's nice that you do that, but there is a large percentage of smokers that just don't give a fuck, at least where I come from.

Yeah, I have to agree here, smokers really don't get the full effect of stale cigarette smoke smell in the vestibule of an apartment building. I've heard a few smokers say "Really? I don't smell anything."

--------------------
I don't use jelly.

Offlinedemon66
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: p_walter] * 1
    #14498433 - 05/23/11 10:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That doesn't mean that you can ban smoking outdoors cuz of some inconsiderate people.  Just ask them to move next time.

I'm a considerate smoker, and I don't want to be harrassed and ticketed by police.

Invisiblecollie man
Jai guru deva om
Male User Gallery

#14498578 - 05/23/11 11:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

what. a. fail.:facepalm:

i bet 20 years ago people would be fighting this. Guess were just used to losing civil liberties these days.

--------------------

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: collie man]
    #14499179 - 05/23/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

"We just don't like smoking in public," he said. "I have a baby right now. I don't like my wife standing near a smoking person."

I wonder if this guy ever tried walking 10 feet in the other direction before :thebird:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #14499555 - 05/23/11 03:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Please this is a stupid law. You'll get non smokers who will complain, how It's such a bad and disgusting habit but who knows maybe people find thier stupid habits disgusting. Maybe I should bitch that people who have the disgusting habit of biting thier nails off or talking with thier mouths full or chew with thier mouths open or blow thier nose in the middle of a resturant and get those banned as well, people are too fucking bored.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #14499638 - 05/23/11 03:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

so lol i dont get it only people who have backyards are allowed to smoke??

how the fuck do you smoke a ciggerette:lol:

people at my college smoke and i dont give a flying fuck its not like im in a car with the windows rolled down i take my ass and move it in another direction whats the big fucking deal?

OfflineKonyap

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: Konyap]
    #14499679 - 05/23/11 03:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ehh but yea when girls are pregnant the smokers always seem like the last to find out

OfflineGuruBushHippie
MountainMan
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #14500674 - 05/23/11 06:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:
ehh but yea when girls are pregnant the smokers always seem like the last to find out

well if she's not showing then how is anybody suppose to know?

--------------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

OfflineKonyap

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: GuruBushHippie]
    #14500677 - 05/23/11 06:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:smoker:

Invisiblesetb
10th level beer nerd

#14506352 - 05/24/11 07:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Do you folks ever stop to think that maybe all of this "second hand smoke" malarkey is completely trumped up to support the insanely huge (and growing) taxes on cigarettes? Do you realize that the government profits more off of cigarettes than the "evil tobaccos companies" do? Do you not have a problem with this?

Offlinesaxx
Stranger

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: setb] * 1
    #14506465 - 05/24/11 07:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Blown out of proportion completely. Second hand smoke doesn't do shit, you're living in NYC for christs sake, go tell all the factories and motorists to stop production. See how that works out for you.

For fucks sake, a person is outside smoking what do you want them to do? Go inside and die for CO2 poisoning.

I'm a smoker myself, so this might be a bit biased, but if you don't like the 'smell' of cigarette smoke so much you're going to lobby laws for it, man the fuck up you pussy ass faggot.

That is all.

--------------------
sucking dick for drink tickets
at the free bar at my cousin's bat mitzvah

zappateer said:
I'm not wasting time at school. I'm gaining hella knowledge and life experience, not trying to use my degree for financial gain.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: setb]
    #14506695 - 05/24/11 08:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

setb said:
Do you folks ever stop to think that maybe all of this "second hand smoke" malarkey is completely trumped up to support the insanely huge (and growing) taxes on cigarettes? Do you realize that the government profits more off of cigarettes than the "evil tobaccos companies" do? Do you not have a problem with this?

Second hand smoke is a real danger if your a growing child, who, say, lives with two parents that smoke all day in a closed up home. THAT is when second hand smoke is a danger...people who you see on the street who freak out when the smell of a cigarette even gets near them...yea they are the dbags who support this kind of legislation :gd_icon::peace:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

OfflineKonyap

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #14507989 - 05/25/11 01:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ciggerrete smoke narrows tha arteries walls permanantly and people who smoke outside usually look like fucking idiots, they pay ten dollers a pack jus to sit there and poisen themselves with radiation no one being a pussy ass faget, people make such a big fucking deal when a ciggerrette smoker dies after putting 200 plus chemicals in their lungs for decades err im sorry but those type of people wont be missed

and this ban is only in parks and beaches

Offlinesaxx
Stranger

#14508020 - 05/25/11 01:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:
ciggerrete smoke narrows tha arteries walls permanantly and people who smoke outside usually look like fucking idiots, they pay ten dollers a pack jus to sit there and poisen themselves with radiation no one being a pussy ass faget, people make such a big fucking deal when a ciggerrette smoker dies after putting 200 plus chemicals in their lungs for decades err im sorry but those type of people wont be missed

and this ban is only in parks and beaches

So everyone that smokes won't be missed?

I hope you're on some really good shit. Because what you just said is really fucked.

http://www.smokersassociation.org/famous-smokers-encyclopedia

If you're sober right now and some *ahem* chemicals are not affecting your judgement, you're fucked in the head.

--------------------
sucking dick for drink tickets
at the free bar at my cousin's bat mitzvah

zappateer said:
I'm not wasting time at school. I'm gaining hella knowledge and life experience, not trying to use my degree for financial gain.

OfflineKonyap

Re: New York - Outdoor Smoking Ban Goes into Effect Today [Re: saxx]
    #14508189 - 05/25/11 02:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

im fucked in the head for not curbing my life expectancy and enjoying all the benefits of ciggerette smoke because i dont smoke and im fuck in the head

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale