Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Contam resistant strain?
    #14492862 - 05/22/11 06:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Seeing as I don't have a laminar flow-hood, nor the tools to make a proper glovebox, I've always had contam problems. What's a contam-resistant strain available from one of the shroomery vendors?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Contam resistant strain? [Re: insipidtoast]
    #14492874 - 05/22/11 06:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Uncolonized substrate is what contaminates, not strains.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Re: Contam resistant strain? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14492877 - 05/22/11 06:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

whatever, you know what I mean.

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

#14492899 - 05/22/11 06:58 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

We know what you want, but that is not how it works. If you do not take time to practice sterile culture techniques, then you will continue to fight contams.

--------------------

:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:AMU Q & A thread:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Re: Contam resistant strain? [Re: mister]
    #14515675 - 05/26/11 02:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Wow. Didn't expect such a level of hubris. To assume I didn't do the best I could to create a sterile environment during the necessary steps. What is this BS? I don't have to prove myself. People come on the forum to give and get help. If you don't do either, I don't see why you're here.

It's not an issue of finding the time to practice sterile culture techniques. You can take as much time in the world as you want to acheive this, but if you are simply unequipped, then you are just toying with luck. It's an issue of money. Lots of people don't have the dough to purchase a flowhood or even a dremel to make a proper glove box.

If you don't have a meaninful contribution, just move on to the next thread. Internet forums would be much more pleasant if people did that.

Invisibleawakendone
Male User Gallery

#14515807 - 05/26/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

insipidtoast said:
even a dremel to make a proper glove box.

this is not even necessary!
here's my GB. the grand total of this was $8.99. i made the holes with a hot empty coffee can.

IMO throwing away contaminated projects is just wasting money. but more importantly is the time that is wasted. my time has value!
there's no special strain or other around it. if you want some success, invest in a GB. it should pay for itself soon enough :thumbup:

InvisibleBoozie
I like beer.
 User Gallery

Loc: :ↄo⅃
    #14515811 - 05/26/11 02:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Eeeasy. No need to get all defensive.

The bottom line is that you're not going to find a "strain" that is particularly more resistant to contamination than another. They are all the same exact species of mushroom.

If you're having contamination problems, then you need to work on sterility and sanitation, plain and simple.

Quote:

To assume I didn't do the best I could to create a sterile environment during the necessary steps. What is this BS?

Well, clearly you didn't. It costs maybe 5 bucks to make a still-air box. That alone will help volumes. You don't need any fancy Tyvek sleeves or a dremel tool to make holes. They help, sure, but a flame, a coffee can, and a cheap plastic tote is all you need, essentially.

--------------------
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

Invisibleshroomybgood
Almost Novice
Male

Loc: Stuck in my HEAD
Re: Contam resistant strain? [Re: Boozie]
    #14516077 - 05/26/11 03:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have a SAB but rarely use it. Sometimes even when I'm trying, I just get frustrated trying to work inside of it and I end up doing all outside of the box anyways. What I do do every time regardless is turn off all air and fans, lysol the heck out of the room, then prepare all materials necessary, lysol again, clean hands real well, put on gloves and alcohol wipe them down and go to work. I have a very low contam ratio but I do still get em sometimes. For that reason, I try to make an extra spawn jar.

--------------------
"GET IT TOGETHER ONE MORE TIME"

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Re: Contam resistant strain? [Re: awakendone]
    #14521063 - 05/27/11 01:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

awakendone said:
Quote:

insipidtoast said:
even a dremel to make a proper glove box.

this is not even necessary!
here's my GB. the grand total of this was $8.99. i made the holes with a hot empty coffee can.

IMO throwing away contaminated projects is just wasting money. but more importantly is the time that is wasted. my time has value!
there's no special strain or other around it. if you want some success, invest in a GB. it should pay for itself soon enough :thumbup:

Nice glove box. How'd you get the coffee cans hot enough to go thru one of those? Be careful not to breathe in the fumes!

I can definitely relate to throwing away contaminated projects. Last year I had to toss about 10 grow bags even though I used a glove box. I just used a power drill and a knife to cut the arm holes, so it left some jagged edges which ended up tearing my tyvek sleeves. I used lots of rubbing alcohol and lysol inside the glove box, and I had cleaned all the surfaces in the room and lysoled the shit out of the room for a few minutes, so I still expected to get some results even though my glove box was subpar. Guess not. Would it be worth the risk to try the hobby again? That's my main motivation for making this thread. It just seemed like all my efforts were a complete waste of time and money. Can someone convince me that if I cut the arm holes properly will it really make that much of a difference??! I mean I used an alcohol lamp and all sorts of shit for piddly results.

100% of my projects failed. What's worse is that they all started out seemingly successfully. Spawn jars fully colonized and everything, I pasteurized my bulk substrate using a meat thermometer so I could keep everything inside the proper temperature range, but it still didn't work. So I'm not sure how trichoderma can creep into a fully colonized substrate...but I guess it can. That's why I want a "contam-resistant" strain, and that's why I say that it's just toying with luck if you don't have a laminar flowhood.

...And it drives me up the well each time I hear these stories of people doing their work out in the open with very good results. I once visited a grower who would just inoculate his jars in his kitchen without cleaning or anything. No mask, rubber gloves or anything. It struck me how extremely unscientific he was about the whole process. This guy had a tiny apartment, with two cats running around and shitting and everything, and he smoked cigarettes inside all the time. And then he told me he only rarely gets a contaminated project. It would be nice to live in his reality. Minus the cat poop and the perpetual cigarrete smoke smell.

Edited by insipidtoast (05/27/11 02:11 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate