Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Mushrooms from...Cacti?
    #1449078 - 04/11/03 08:04 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Hello Dear Shroomerites!
I decided to join this forum when a friend of mine started to take an interest in mushroom cultivation and had some crazy ideas.

My friend,Gabriel,is wondering if one could grow mushrooms with psychoactive cacti such as San Pedro for substrate.

He thinks of first making a liquid agar cultivation of mycelium (P.cubensis) and then under sterire conditions injecting the agar-mycelium in a big,thick, San Pedro cactus.

1) Could the mycelium establish itself in the cactus and fruit? (i think that the cactus body has all tha the mycelium needs nutrientwise)
2)Could the mycelium convert phenethylamines contained in the cactus to other psychoactive compounds? (my guess in propably not because the enzymes usually phosphorylate tryptamine rings but other opinions welcome)
3)Could the mycelium or the fruiting body uptake already existing alkaloids from the cactus and thus produce fruits with different entheogenic qualities than that of the mushroom alone? I knows that mescaline and other alkaloids are active as somewhat high doses (100mg or so),but Gabriel insists that even in smaller quantities compounds like that could still alter the experience,epsecially in high doses.

It may seem a waste of cactus or even mycelium,but eitherway the sight of mushrooms growing out of a cactus is psychedelic itself!!!!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Psiloman (04/11/03 08:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: Mushrooms from...Cacti? [Re: Psiloman]
    #1449229 - 04/11/03 09:28 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I don't think so, since mescaline and other chemicals in cacti are antimicrobial, also the pH would be way off. I'm sure if the antimicrobial chemicals were removed and the pH fixed it would work, probably about as well as the toilet paper TEK.(do a search if you don't know what it is)
2) No
3)99% sure no, Although some mushrooms are used to leech toxic chemicals up from the ground through the mycelial network.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate