Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePHIPHTIE
Shroomeranger
Wild Bird Seed
    #1448360 - 04/11/03 12:42 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I want to do a case with wild bird seed but I dont know how to make my layers.......I was wondering what the measurments are and what I would use? Thanks to those who help me....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Wild Bird Seed [Re: PHIPHTIE]
    #1448365 - 04/11/03 12:43 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Do you have colonized WBS in jars?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePHIPHTIE
Shroomeranger
Re: Wild Bird Seed [Re: z@z.com]
    #1448369 - 04/11/03 12:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

No I was going to do some jars and use flax seed, rye berry, and brown rice flour

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1448371 - 04/11/03 12:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well you have to do WBS in jars.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePHIPHTIE
Shroomeranger
    #1448374 - 04/11/03 12:47 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I know Im going to do the jars in a few days, I was just wondering what I would case them with after they are colinized

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1448376 - 04/11/03 12:50 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You want your top layer to be around .5 to 1 inch thick. Your middle layer (WBS) should be 2 to 4 inches thick. If you case on the bottom, around 2 inches should work.

Check out Roadkill's 60/40 tek for specifics. You can sub the coir with peat, but make sure and add something to bring the pH up if you do.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

OfflinePHIPHTIE
Shroomeranger
Re: Wild Bird Seed [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1448387 - 04/11/03 12:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the help......This is my first attempt at wbs......I've done the pf tek 2 times and cased them but im not satisfied with my yields.......im not totally understanding the casing method though......What should my bottom layer be? My middle layer im guessing would be my cake......then whats the top layer? Does Rye berry, brf, and flax seed sound like a good substrate for my jars? Thanks for the help.......

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1448390 - 04/11/03 12:56 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I find that the best way to do WBS is to prepare WBS jars as normal and after they are colonized to mix them 2:1 with sterile moist verm and case with whatever casing layer you would like. The WBS/verm mix should be about 2-4 inches deep and the casing layer about 1/4-1/2 an inch deep.

--------------------

OfflinePHIPHTIE
Shroomeranger
    #1448397 - 04/11/03 12:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You know more than me.....what do u think is the best top layer? Where can I find Roadkill's 60/40 tek? I posted last night and you helped me out a lot (thanks) and you put a pic of one of your cases on there and my god it was ignorant looking......i want that kinda case in due time and practice.....Can you tell me all your measurements for that case? Thanks a lot......you've been a big help....u seem like u know what ur talkin about.....looks like it.....thanks

Edited by PHIPHTIE (04/11/03 01:08 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1448409 - 04/11/03 01:07 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I used to use 50/50 peat moss to vermiculite and it works fairly well. Just mix it up, add water, and throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes. Now I use coco coir instead of peat moss. Either works well, but I think coco coir is a little better.

--------------------

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1448418 - 04/11/03 01:10 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I find that the best way to do WBS is to prepare WBS jars as normal and after they are colonized to mix them 2:1 with sterile moist verm and case with whatever casing layer you would like. The WBS/verm mix should be about 2-4 inches deep and the casing layer about 1/4-1/2 an inch deep. 

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen you type this out to help someone :smile:

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Wild Bird Seed [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1448424 - 04/11/03 01:14 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm working on an a tek with pics. Should be out in the next week or two.

--------------------

OfflinePHIPHTIE
Shroomeranger
    #1448432 - 04/11/03 01:16 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So by adding more to my substrate giving it more nutrients isnt really going to help me? Or is it better to stick to the basics? Thanks

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1448456 - 04/11/03 01:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I would say you need to stick to the basics for now.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Peat, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation