Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

My view on religion . . .
    #1448336 - 04/11/03 12:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, I'm not here to get anyone angry or to start a religous war... I'm just simply posting to state my view on religon and then try to absorb what everyone else has to say on their views.

I was brought up in a Catholic family... everyone in my extended family was and still is very religious. One of my uncles was a Catholic priest until he past away a few years back. Although both my parents were Catholic, they really didn't observe their faith in the relgion. My father worked a lot when I was young and my mom was busy rasing 3 children so we didn't find much time to attend church or any functions of the church. My parents pushed both my older brothers through Catholic school but decided to leave it up to me if I wanted to go or not when I was of age. Being a snotty little 7 year old, I opted to play with my friends after school rather then going to another shcool to learn about The Bible.

As I grew into my teenage years I begain to have questions about life and death and what was beyond us... I wanted to know if there was a Heaven or a Hell and what one would have to do specifically to get to one or the other. My mother spit out hundreds of religious cliches at me that didn't quench my curiousty... she told me to start going to church so I could find out the truth for myself.

I started to attend a Luthern church with my girlfriend on Sundays to see if I could resolve any answers. After weeks of attendence I only grew more frusterated with what I learned from the surmons. I've always had a very logical mind and I wasn't satisfied with accepting that putting faith in Christ and the after life was all I needed to do. To me, The Bible was nothing more then a bunch of stories strung together to explain what we really didn't know.

Later in high school I became fasinated with the sciences. I was astonished about how the simple things in life could be explored and proven scienctifically. There was no faith to it... just answers. Up untill that point I was nothing more then a C student, but after finding science I became motivated and begain to engrose myself in my studies. My last two years in high school I finished with nothing but A's.

I dove right into college and chose my major right away... biology. I was captivated by every lecture I took and found that the more educated I became, the less faithfull I became in a higher power, such as Christ. Questions that relgion couldn't answer were now easily obtained and everyday life to became as series of answers rather then a series of questions. I can look at the sky and tell you why it's blue, I can look at a tree and tell you it's whole biology, I can answers 1000's of simple mundane questions that most people would never even consider asking.

So I graduated from college with a B.S. in biology and decided I still needed more knowledge.... which brings me to the point where I am in life now. Working towards my Masters in Macroevolution and Animal Behavior. But now, I find, even with all the answers that I have obtained, I still haven't answered what I first set out to answer... what's out there after death. I think that this is the very question that drives all religions.

At this point in my life I am willing to accept that there is a higer power, that there is a creator... but, don't take it personally all you Christians... I don't believe Jesus Christ has anything to do with it. Although I do believe he lived and died for his beliefs, I believe his life goes no further then that. I don't believe in Juedism, or Budism, nor Hinduism, or anything else. I have that feeling that the God that's out there isn't a thing or a place or a time... I really don't know how to explain it. I just feel that what's out there is energy. All we really are is energy built up into trillion of organic molecules. Once we die we're not going to lose our energy, we'll just manifest it into other forms of energy.

So anyhow... what would you define my religion? is it a religion at all? Am I an Atheist? Agnostic? what am I? What are you? Does it really matter?

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: My view on religion . . . [Re: djd586]
    #1448446 - 04/11/03 01:22 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'd say stay away from the word "religion" and don't try to label your views  :wink:

I believe much the same, for now.
I fell that the classical view of God is wrong. Someone missed the point completely  :crazy:

Does it all really matter? Nope, probably not  :smile:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: My view on religion . . . [Re: djd586]
    #1448925 - 04/11/03 08:01 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

agnostic
secular humanist
"america i have mystical visions and cosmic vibrations"
it's like guru bill sez: there's a seeker born every minute
learn martian & join the church of all worlds
"god has his finger in everybody's pie"
the myth you choose (or inherit) is sorta like an operating system for your psyche (& psychedelics can allow you to reboot, hehheh...)
(buddhism is one of the few religions that suggests actually testing its premises; the only article of faith they require is that you accept that the one can (and historically, one has) realize enlightenment...)
~
ymmv...
~
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineJenherself
Just anotherchick

Loc: Alberta, Canada in a box
Re: My view on religion . . . [Re: gnrm23]
    #1464706 - 04/16/03 07:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Like you Dj I was sort of brought up in the same regards. My family, mostly my moms side was all Catholic. When I was little they put me and my older brother in Sunday school. I remember when my dad picked us up one day from sunday school, my brother and I both told my dad that it was boring...I guess he realized that we lack the interest in learning about that religion.

After that we were lucky (my bro and I) to not have to be raised or be forced into any particular religion. My parents still taught us right from wrong, which we have always obeyed for the most part. And now at 24 I've decided that I know whats right for my life and how I want and choose to live it.

I know that when I have children, I do plan to install the same values and the same morals I have come to believe in, and as they get older I will leave it up to them to decide the path that they choose in life. Just hopefully its not serial killas. But all in all I don't think anyone should be forced into anything they don't want to do or don't feel right doing. It will only make life difficult and frustrating for them.

I do not practice any religion, nor do I plan to ever. I find Buddhism very interesting and they're way of life. I have my own beliefs about existence and such which seem to extend from all different types of religions put together. However, I choose to not label myself, and you shouldn't either nor have anyone label or judge you. Just believe in yourself dude...thats all you need.

Peace

--------------------
TO EACH THEIR OWN
****JENNY****

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: My view on religion . . . [Re: Jenherself]
    #1464755 - 04/16/03 07:38 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If you believe the bible is the truth, then you believe a snake can talk and eating an apple can make you realize you're naked. I look at Christianity as a book of morals and stories. I follow Bruce Lee's belief, which is that we're all on the same energy field, and the idea of a single being above and beyond that field is impossible. 99.9% of an atom is empty space with vibrating energy moving through it, and that energy moves through all things... at that level you're no different from a chair...

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology