Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Media Bias
    #1448128 - 04/10/03 11:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Liberals say the media is biased right, conservatives say it's biased left.
Liberals listen to NPR and say it isn't biased (it's more left than most).
Conservatives listen to FOXNEWS and say it isn't biased (HAHAhHAHAHA).

Everyone has their worldview, and think they see through the bullshit. So when some "bullshit" gets presented as a legitimate argument, the opposing side screams bias.

Biased is not the word for what our media is. It leans towards certain viewpoints, and puts all sorts of ideas in people's heads. The media manufactures public opinion. The media is CONTROLLED, not biased. And if it is biased, it's certainly not biased towards liberalism or conservatism.......

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Media Bias [Re: ]
    #1448135 - 04/10/03 11:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

All media is biased, but it's not all biased uniformly in the same political direction, tho the vast majority of people in the media consider themselves moderates.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Media Bias [Re: silversoul7]
    #1448198 - 04/10/03 11:26 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It's just biased in that there are certain taboos never ever ever broken.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1448205 - 04/10/03 11:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It could just be the guy talking who is biased. I'm sure they seep their opinion into it when they talk or ask questions while on the air.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #1448212 - 04/10/03 11:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Check this out...

The war according to CNN

How much more biased can you get? fuckin 24-hour 'news' channels...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Anonymous

Re: Media Bias [Re: Murex]
    #1448385 - 04/11/03 12:53 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's almost impossible to not have that happen.

My point is that there is no liberal conspiracy infecting the media. There is no conversative conspiracy infecting the media. There is however a conspiracy of some sort infecting the media.

Off-topic here.... How come the Bush supporting crowd swings between denying oil has anything to do with the war, and saying of course it does! Our economy depends on oil, it'd be stupid not to secure some! Which is it?

The infection of the media that I speak of has the following symptoms:
A war of aggression is termed a "liberation."
Oil motives are not talked about.
Things leaked via the FOIA are conveniently ignored.
Terrorist threats are greatly exagerrated.
Drugs are lumped together and condemned.

It's not a liberal or conservative issue. But the media definitely has some sort of agenda.......

Anonymous

Re: Media Bias [Re: Blastrid]
    #1448392 - 04/11/03 12:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Even the Pentagon must be getting embarrassed by all this. After all, who needs state-sanctioned propaganda when the cable news networks are willing to sacrifice objectivity, critical context, and probing analysis without even being asked?

I think they were asked. Not by an individual state though. By someone else.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1448403 - 04/11/03 01:03 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Off-topic here.... How come the Bush supporting crowd swings between denying oil has anything to do with the war, and saying of course it does! Our economy depends on oil, it'd be stupid not to secure some! Which is it?

Different conservatives have different opinions on it. We don't all meet before we post and come up with a common set of beliefs.

I believe that oil has something to do with it. It does not however involve us taking the oil. I think one of the reasons we feared Saddam is that he controlled a large deposit of oil and could use the money from that oil to build/buy weapons and reinforce his military as well as possibly develope/buy chemical/biological/nuclear weapons. So yes oil is a factor, but it has nothing to do with us taking the oil. It has more to do with what Saddam is doing with the oil or more specifically the money from the oil.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Media Bias [Re: z@z.com]
    #1448437 - 04/11/03 01:18 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It is all biased. Everything!

The only solution is to go to as many different sources as possible.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Anonymous

Re: Media Bias [Re: pattern]
    #1448449 - 04/11/03 01:23 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

It is all biased. Everything!

The only solution is to go to as many different sources as possible.

Very, very good advice.

Anonymous

Re: Media Bias [Re: z@z.com]
    #1448451 - 04/11/03 01:25 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Fair enough. I think your opinion is about as far from reality as you can possibly get though. I mean seriously, even for a conservative, that was just fucking retarded.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1448921 - 04/11/03 07:55 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If the journalists pop along to their organisation meetings and the word from the higher ups is that the media organisation has a particular position on an issue, then the journalists risk losing their jobs if they don't follow that line. So if the higher ups can be persuaded one way or another, that influences what is in the news. Media is a business and has customers it must please like any other business, and they get much of their money from advertisers. So, if the organisation does not report a particular way they might lose very big advertising contracts. And guess where the biggest contracts come from? Multinationals and the government. General Electric is part of the military industrial complex - they get big defense contracts from the government - they OWN CNN. Peter Arnett was sacked from CNN cause he went on after Rumsfeld was just trying to tell everyone America is not bombing the city of Baghdad, they are just bombing the periphery, etc. Then Peter came on and said the main city had just been bombed! Sorry Pete, no more pocket money for you.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Edited by enotake2 (04/11/03 08:30 AM)

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1448960 - 04/11/03 08:34 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, you are right. The "news" itself is controlled. However the harbingers are definately biased-- I mean Paula Zahn is definately biased. Not to mention the makers of the news. I mean, give me any news source and it has like 2 degrees of seperation to some shady corporation. I supposed they are controlled by their interests, but to show favor in reporting is bias when relating to an individual. Thereby the media itself is biased. Media also doesnt give any voice to groups with differing view points. That is bias. They are supposed to be our airwaves.. Not Murdoch's

--------------------

Edited by PsiloKitten (04/11/03 08:38 AM)

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Media Bias [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1451758 - 04/12/03 05:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Controlled to some degree by our interests, but also by the interests of the business ie money. And, yeah they dont give a voice to minority groups- if they cover a protest they rarely cover what points the protesters are trying to get across, or they misrepresent them, call us troublemakers and of course we attack police they don't attack us.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion