Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up...
    #1447731 - 04/10/03 06:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Breaking your cakes up into smaller pieces before you case them will PREVENT early pins from forming in weird places.

When you birth a cake and chop it up into very small pieces, even though the myc tissue has been exposed to light pins will not form until the network has healed.

If the cake pieces are too large, shrooms can grow inside the casing, die, and rot.

This would explain why you don't normally see this happen when casing grains, as the kernals are small and the network is disrupted when the grain is poured into the casing. :smile:

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinearabmobster

Loc: Palestine
Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1447737 - 04/10/03 06:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yes

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: arabmobster]
    #1447752 - 04/10/03 06:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

wow, that definetely helped me out, because i sure didn't know that before, thanks big johnson, ill never have problems with early pinning again!!

THIS IS ALL A DREAM!!! :smile:

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: jakeholman]
    #1447802 - 04/10/03 07:05 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

No problem :smile:

My friend had a casing contam after the second flush, and when he threw it into the compost pile he found rotting shrooms growing along the bottom. In that casing, he only broke the pieces up into 1 - 2 inch chunks. Not only did it contam but it pinned 3 days after it was cased; too soon and very uneven.

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1447810 - 04/10/03 07:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

that is exactly what my friend's dog had, but the rotting shrooms were only once in awhile. Thanks a lot anyway. and just out of curiousity how do u add in that disclaimer on every post??

The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

P.S.-like this one...

--------------------

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: jakeholman]
    #1447817 - 04/10/03 07:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

that is exactly what my friend's dog had, but the rotting shrooms were only once in awhile.  Thanks a lot anyway.  and just out of curiousity how do u add in that disclaimer on every post??

P.S.-like this one... 

Its my signature :smile: Go to "My Home" and then "Personal Prefs" and type what you want :smile:

Glad to have you here with us, by the way :smile:

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1447881 - 04/10/03 07:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks!! its great being here with all you pros. it still blows me away all the intricate little details that i have no idea about that get answered here time and time again! anyway, ill talk to you again im sure...

--------------------

OfflineBigJohnson

#1447888 - 04/10/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Oh yeah, I'm a pro...

:wink:

I just bought my first PC (pressure cooker)! 

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1448922 - 04/11/03 05:59 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

If the cake pieces are too large, shrooms can grow inside the casing, die, and rot.

bullshit. the best casings made from pf cakes are those where they were hardly broken, if at all. shrooms won't grow inside a casing, they grow where they have light, breezes, and humidity.

the only time that smaller cakes pieces are better is if you're using them to spawn with.

no offence intended - that's put a cat among the pigeons  :laugh: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1449069 - 04/11/03 07:59 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bullshit. the best casings made from pf cakes are those where they were hardly broken, if at all. shrooms won't grow inside a casing, they grow where they have light, breezes, and humidity.

the only time that smaller cakes pieces are better is if you're using them to spawn with.

no offence intended - that's put a cat among the pigeons  :laugh: 

Whoa! Don't get you're panties in a bunch!

First, primordia form when certain conditions are met. A hydrated colony of adequate mass that is exposed to light of a specific frequency for a fraction of a second WILL pin, and those pins WILL mature into fruits, even if on the underside of the colony. 

Second, you just called me a liar. I'd ask for an apology if I cared, but I don't. However, for the newbies who may be reading this, it isn't BS.

Grinding up your cakes into smaller pieces will prevent maturation of primordia as there is not enough mass for the individual pieces to support fruiting.

After several days, the network will repair itself and expand, reaching the surface of the casing. At this point, exposure to light, oxygen, and moisture will cause primordia to form. These primordia will mature because the colony has the mass to support the growth of the fruits.

Peace

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449090 - 04/11/03 08:10 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

don't think i ever called you a liar - 'cept maybe about the 'big johnson' part, in those pms where you were coming to to me. forgot them, hmmm?. i just questioned your "i just figured out why..." answer, since you didn't know before, and assumed an answer, i just corrected you.

you got it right about repairing itself prior to fruiting, no arguments there. ever wondered why lotsa teks say 'break the cake up.... or even better, leave it whole" or why the pictorial teks recommend big chunks?

maybe they're all wrong, and you know better? but i think not.

:smile:shirl
xx

--------------------
buh

OfflinePantherina
Alchemist

Loc: Nirvana
Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1449113 - 04/11/03 08:24 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Perhaps your both right, bigger chunks means larger flushs, as in whole cakes

But if you are crumbling large chunks and leaving airspaces for mushrooms to devolop and exposing them to light before you case, you can get mushrooms forming beneath the casing leading to contaminants.

--------------------
The man who lost the plot, so had to improvise

OfflineBigJohnson

#1449180 - 04/11/03 09:07 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

don't think i ever called you a liar - 'cept maybe about the 'big johnson' part, in those pms where you were coming to to me. forgot them, hmmm?. i just questioned your "i just figured out why..." answer, since you didn't know before, and assumed an answer, i just corrected you.

you got it right about repairing itself prior to fruiting, no arguments there. ever wondered why lotsa teks say 'break the cake up.... or even better, leave it whole" or why the pictorial teks recommend big chunks?

maybe they're all wrong, and you know better? but i think not.

:smile:shirl
xx 

In the USA, when someone says "bull shit" to what another says, they are stating that they believe what has been said to be false. I guess its different in the UK; my bad...

Also, it was YOU who PM'd me. True, I do tend to flirt with women when given the chance, but I don't believe I ever "came to to you," whatever the hell that means.

And, lastly, what makes you think existing teks cannot be improved upon? Why are there so many teks out there in the first place, many of which contradict one another? Hmmm...I'm obviously not as bright as yourself, so forgive me if I stupidly assume that teks aren't written in stone and there are still things to learn and discover about mushroom cultivation. I'll now go back to birthing BRF cakes on perlite, as there is no better way to grow.

Hey...what if we were to try simulating a more natural fruiting environment by enclosing our colonies with a moisture-rich, non-nutritive mixture? NOPE. SORRY. I'm doing it again. The PF tek says to birth on perlite, and anyone who believes otherwise MUST be wrong. There is no better way if its written in a tek...

Lame.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449249 - 04/11/03 09:36 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

okay, okay.

Blimey

--------------------
buh

OfflineNewSpore
Just Starting toSee the Light

#1449403 - 04/11/03 10:43 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

my friend told me you could even put them in a oscarizer or blender just a few turns dont make mud just even and small small pieces Shirl, would you consider this is strictly for spawn?

--------------------
Be in truth and watch the magic happen.
SBP TEK

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: NewSpore]
    #1449419 - 04/11/03 10:50 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Now, as to the size of my johnson...

:wink:

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449423 - 04/11/03 10:52 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

hey newspore - it gets like this sometimes, don't worry about the heat! - :laugh: bigJ

never heard of an oscarizer, sounds like fun. i don't claim to be an expert, and am only repeating what i've learnt from some that are. bigger pieces, packed tight to avoid airspaces, are the way to go for casings. nice small small pieces help to fill the gaps, and make a nice flat top. :laugh:

maybe some have done very well making casings from tiny bits, but i just don't see the logic in it - takes longer to reform itself.

--------------------
buh

OfflineBigJohnson

#1449441 - 04/11/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i just don't see the logic in it - takes longer to reform itself. 

If I'm correct, that's one reason its logical. As far as the recovery time goes, you are mistaken. Huge chunks will radiate and bridge the gaps between other chunks at the same rate of growth as smaller chunks will connect. Cell division is determined by temperature, not the size of the cell cluster itself. 

Edit: I'm not trying to be 'Mr. Knowitall' or contradict you, shirl. I'm wrong about shit all the time. However, I don't think I'm wrong about this  :tongue:

--------------------

Edited by BigJohnson (04/11/03 11:09 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449448 - 04/11/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

this is fun. fuck you, bitch  :cool:

no really, i'm not coming to to you when i say this, either (baby). interesting - anyone else wanna chip in their 2 cents?
and yes, i am far more intelligent than you, small donjohnson :smile:

take that! (shirleyknott swipes cattily at bigJohnsson, and waits for the next line :grin:

--------------------
buh

OfflineUber
Wash ufungi,drive me tofruitenzi

Loc: DRC
    #1449454 - 04/11/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ya know what they say about "big johnsons"... those that have 'em don't need to brag about it :smile:

Just a little good natured fun BJ.  I see a lot of logic to your side of the debate.

Uber (who has never felt the need to brag about his "big johnson")

--------------------
"The old adage that ignorance of the law is no excuse becomes a ludicrous
statement when the laws themselves are rooted in ignorance"

- Adam Gottlieb

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: Uber]
    #1449458 - 04/11/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ya know what they say about "big johnsons"... those that have 'em don't need to brag about it :smile:

Just a little good natured fun BJ.  I see a lot of logic to your side of the debate.

Uber (who has never felt the need to brag about his "big johnson") 

What do they say about guys who brag about not bragging about the size of their "mushroom?"

:grin:

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449465 - 04/11/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

whaddabout me? don't i get a swipe back?

i just love seeing that avatar  :blush:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :shocked: :smile: :tongue:

--------------------
buh

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: Uber]
    #1449466 - 04/11/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Spawn the shit and forget about breaking up pf cakes....

Get a PC, do some millet, spawn some poo and you will NEVER, EVER go back to pf.....

EVER!!!!!!!!
:smile:

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

OfflineNewSpore
Just Starting toSee the Light

#1449467 - 04/11/03 11:19 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

well if I follow this logic that is developing, I should not brag about not bragging about muchroom size bragging? d4mm!

--------------------
Be in truth and watch the magic happen.
SBP TEK

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449476 - 04/11/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Huge chunks will radiate and bridge the gaps between other chunks at the same rate of growth as smaller chunks will connect.

this is the bit i have a problem with. the gap between the small chunks is smaller than the 'chasms' between the bigguns. yes, that much is true (adopts human-league style pose). but if you fill them gaps, you're ahead.

and yes, i agree that pftek, once done successfully once, will never be revisited by any who've tried bulk teks :grin:

c'mon, lets have a debate. come to shroomery chat channel :grin:

edit: here's how - follow the link. get mirc and install it. go to server recommended. when you're in shroomery chat, type "/join #cultivation". see you there - the names listed may not all be looking or even awake, but shout, and someone will be around. 's fun.

click me for a chat, i'm hot 'n horny

--------------------
buh

Edited by shirley knott (04/11/03 11:35 AM)

OfflineBigJohnson

#1449480 - 04/11/03 11:26 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

whaddabout me? don't i get a swipe back?

i just love seeing that avatar  :blush:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :shocked: :smile: :tongue: 

Okay, if that's you in your avatar peering through the aquarium glass at those cakes...damn, girl...plastic surgery may be your only hope!

Quote:

i just love seeing that avatar

Really? No...

Really?  :grin:

--------------------

OfflinePantherina
Alchemist

#1449485 - 04/11/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Big johnson is that you in your avatar,

i can see why they call u big johnson.

--------------------

OfflineBigJohnson

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: Pantherina]
    #1449499 - 04/11/03 11:34 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Big johnson is that you in your avatar,

i can see why they call u big johnson.

LOL! Its a great tuck job, no?

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1449500 - 04/11/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It also creates more points of inoculation , remeber you must fully colonize even plain old cased grain prior to inducing fruiting . Have had some strains prematurally pin no matter what was done during prep . When myc is ready ........it is ready no matter what you do , and will set pins .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflinePantherina
Alchemist

Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: tripndicular]
    #1449505 - 04/11/03 11:36 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

beautiful...LOL

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: tripndicular]
    #1449536 - 04/11/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

so trip, interrrrrrr(adopts psychiatrist stroking beard pose)rrrresting, ya.

--------------------
buh

Invisibletripndicular

#1449585 - 04/11/03 12:02 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting me in what ? Flirtations , or mushies ? Both at same time ?
You lost me there shirley , not all that difficult today ..........  :wink:
And which "beard" are you stroking ?  :smirk: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449592 - 04/11/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

my naval beard

--------------------
buh

Invisibletripndicular

#1449617 - 04/11/03 12:08 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You have a hairy belly button ?  :blush: :tongue:
Or are you at a Naval Base ? Supporting the troops.... by stroking beards!  :grin: :wink:

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1449653 - 04/11/03 12:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i don't support the war, personally, but that's off topic and i don't wanna stress out roadkill - he's fragile!

interesting about the 'ready-myc-fruits-in-ya-mouth' thing. thanks for the wisdom. :laugh:

--------------------
buh

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1450791 - 04/11/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

well BJ, i still back you up 100%, and that is definetely my next test to do, since i just realized that the more water that you have in a pf jar, the slower mycelium grows, the more mycelium piss there is and the nastier it smells-happy shrooming!!
Jake H

P.S.-stick with tap/organic water-NOT distilled (it works but will take a little longer to colonize. by experience=1 week)

--------------------

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
    #4352046 - 06/29/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shirley knott said:
hey newspore - it gets like this sometimes, don't worry about the heat! - :laugh: bigJ

<b>never heard of an oscarizer, sounds like fun.</b> i don't claim to be an expert, and am only repeating what i've learnt from some that are. bigger pieces, packed tight to avoid airspaces, are the way to go for casings. nice small small pieces help to fill the gaps, and make a nice flat top. :laugh:

maybe some have done very well making casings from tiny bits, but i just don't see the logic in it - takes longer to reform itself. 

I believe an "Osterizer" is a brand of blender. I think i used to have one as a kid, or my mother did anyway. yea, i was a bit of a blender label reader back then

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: walkclothed]
    #4352055 - 06/29/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hey, shirly, btw...thats not you in your avatar is it?

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I Think I Know Why it is Better to Crumble/Chop/Break Up... [Re: walkclothed]
    #4352098 - 06/29/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

walkclothed, don't bump 2 year old threads just to shoot the breeze. Locked.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4352101 - 06/29/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
See the above.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds