Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Things to be thankful for now:
    #1447674 - 04/10/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was and still am anti Gulf War II, but now that it has almost ended so quickly, there are some things to be thankful for:
1. Low "Coalition" casualties
2.The quickness of the war so far against what Bush said was a direct threat to our national security.
3.Saddam is not in power (everybody should agree on this one)
4.Iraqis lives will now be slightly better
5.Gas in my area is 10 cents cheaper since the war started.
6. the threat from terrorism is now over
7.We need not fear WMD any longer
8.the second largest untapped oil reserves in the world have been liberated from oppression, substandard equipment and infrastructure
9.Muslims and Arabs now love us!
10. American companies are gonna get some killer contracts, maybe I will be able to get a new, well paying job!
11. no chemical biological or nuclear weapons were used (thank Christ, Im serious on this one)
12.My freedoms have been successfully protected once again from tyrannical third-world rulers who plot daily to deprive me of my freedoms.
13. Now I KNOW that God is on our side, nothing can defeat us now. He put Bush into office

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Things to be thankful for now: [Re: Buddha5254]
    #1448275 - 04/11/03 12:05 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

4.Iraqis lives will now be slightly better

Sure, I guess. They no longer have an oppressive dictator, although Iraq is dangerously close to complete anarchy. Rioting and Looting is ensuing all over Baghdad.

Quote:

5.Gas in my area is 10 cents cheaper since the war started.

Funny, gas in my area has gone up at least 10 cents, some places even 15. Where do you live?

Quote:

6. the threat from terrorism is now over

Yeah right. Just because Saddam is out of power does not mean we've rid the country of Terrorists and people who hate the US. The war on terrorism is like the war on drugs, there will never be a day where we'll go "Whew! Got em all, no more terrorists! Everybody loves us again!" (hehe David Cross)

And another point, since we removed the ruling party in Afghanistan after 9/11, and completely refocused on Iraq and never installed a government, a group has been rising to power called the Taliban...

Quote:

9.Muslims and Arabs now love us!

I really hope you're joking... a) that's a generalization, b) I believe the majority consensus in the Middle East toward the United States (except MAYBE Israel) is that we're evil and warmongering terrorists.

Quote:

10. American companies are gonna get some killer contracts, maybe I will be able to get a new, well paying job!

I wish I could be so optimistic, but since I'm in the arts, I doubt all the fund and program cuts since 9/11 and the war will be reinstated in the near future. Have you noticed the economy (hehe "that's fake anyway") is in the shitter?

Quote:

11. no chemical biological or nuclear weapons were used

You are very right. Thankfully this didn't happen. It would have made things very messy. Although none were found (yet) in Iraq. Isn't that one of the main reasons we went to war?

Quote:

13. Now I KNOW that God is on our side, nothing can defeat us now. He put Bush into office

You mean 'your'. Don't forget that spirituality is the most personal thing there is. I wouldn't speak for other people if I were you. I'm not knocking your beliefs at all, really, I think it's important for people to be spiritual. I just wouldn't speak for others, that's all.

God put Bush in office?
oh man... ohhhh man. That guy, that fuckin guy. Why would 'God' show off mankind's greedy, distorted, corrupt, vengeful aspects? What a horrible, terrible president.
I hope God takes him out of office soon.

This isn't a flame, it's a thoughtful response.
PS it's odd that your post seems so Christian, but your name is Buddha5254...

Seems that I'm not really thankful of much 'now'. except that I'm alive and I'm with those I love and I play music. Current National and International events are not bright now adays, and are sliding further into bad times.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Things to be thankful for now: [Re: Blastrid]
    #1448490 - 04/11/03 01:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

You are very right. Thankfully this didn't happen. It would have made things very messy. Although none were found (yet) in Iraq. Isn't that one of the main reasons we went to war?

Seriously, umm... what's going to happen when we dont find anything?

Im thinking that the government/media will switch over to the fact that "We liberated Iraq, people are happy there, and yay America!". I wonder if they'll try to forget the fact that our preemtive strike was because they had all these WMD.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1448527 - 04/11/03 01:54 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The war was supposed to be about WMD. All media sources seem to have forgotten this now that it has been proved Saddam had no ability/intention of using them even to prevent his own death.

Perhaps this is where we'll hear about WMD next...

As Baghdad falls to conventional warfare, I keep remembering that mantra in Jack Straw's mouth: "nuclear, chemical and biological." He repeated it again and again while trying to round up support. Then the "nuclear" had to go, after the UN inspection report. So it was down to the other two villains. Like some, I believed (no, "very much wanted to believe" is as close as you get in this world of claim and counterclaim) Scott Ritter's judgment that if the Iraqis still had some bad stuff, it was past its use-by date and turning into hair-gel. Even so, it seemed a grotesque gamble on Bush and Blair's part to seek to prove that Iraq had chemical and biological weapons by provoking Saddam to use them against coalition troops. Now we're told that the wily bastard has moved them to Syria. (Hey, let's invade Syria! Then he might move them to Iran. We could look there afterwards!)

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Edited by Alex123 (04/11/03 02:03 AM)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1448680 - 04/11/03 03:20 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Things I am thankful for:
1. The war wasn't as devastating as I expected.
2. Saddam is out of power
3. The Iraqi people, by and large, seem pretty happy
4. The Democratic party is rising up from the ashes, slowly but surely
5. No new major terrorist attacks YET
6. Soon we can get cheaper oil

That's about all I can think of. I could list the things I'm upset about, but it would be a pretty long read.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: Things to be thankful for now: [Re: Blastrid]
    #1449125 - 04/11/03 10:30 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey just so you know, a lot of what I said is PURE sarcasm

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #1449371 - 04/11/03 12:30 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was considering that, but it wasn't clear to me, obviously. 

hehe :grin: I'm not so disgusted anymore. my hopes were true!  I couldn't imagine some of those claims here on the shroomery... some just completely contradicted the 'expanded horizons' of those who've tripped.

made for a good thread anyway, right?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #1449416 - 04/11/03 12:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hehehe, that's funnier than anything Letterman came up with for his lists :grin: 

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion