Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
dessicant super bruising!
    #1447151 - 04/10/03 05:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Man, I dried out some ricans under a fan for like 30 hours, and then I took them and put them in a jar with some dessicant. I go back and look the next day, and the entire stem on each mushroom is totally blue. The first flush, which sat around longer before going into the jar (just got the jar) look okay.

WTF happened?? Have I lost potency?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

Loc: California
Re: dessicant super bruising! [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1447380 - 04/10/03 06:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The same thing happened to Dr. X, and he knows exactly what's up. He dried his for 24 hours under a fan, then put them into an airtight dessicant chamber.... two days later, his mushies were totally blue, starting to get white mold on some of the gills, and barely any more dry.

Solution: Just leave the mushies in a bowl and have a fan blowing on them for as long as possible per day. They won't blue, and they'll dry like a friggin cracker. Dr. X has no idea what the big deal is with dessicant, the fan dried his perfectly after about 3 days under the fan.

--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

Offlinemtglu
Hundredaire

Loc: California
Re: dessicant super bruising! [Re: mtglu]
    #1447384 - 04/10/03 06:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

P.S. Don't worry about the potency, if any of was lost, Dr. X didn't notice  :wink: 

--------------------
" I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles is a laid-back company. They said "Fuck it. Cut em up." "

-Mitch Hedberg

OfflineUber
Wash ufungi,drive me tofruitenzi

Loc: DRC
Re: dessicant super bruising! [Re: mtglu]
    #1447421 - 04/10/03 06:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps the excessive bluing could be chalked up to the higher alkaloid contents the PRs are renowned for? My FOAF would be concerned about using only a fan if the shrooms are to be stored for any lengthy period of time. Just because they appear to be dried on the outside doesn't mean they are completely dry through and through. After reading more than 1 story of seemingly dry shrooms becoming a rotten, unedible mess my FOAF swore to always dessicate.

--------------------
"The old adage that ignorance of the law is no excuse becomes a ludicrous
statement when the laws themselves are rooted in ignorance"

- Adam Gottlieb

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: dessicant super bruising! [Re: Uber]
    #1447469 - 04/10/03 06:46 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No, blueing has nothing to do with higher alkoid content. It is a myth. Blueing is only caused by excessive handling, which lead to bruising.

OfflineAKcultivator
shit i dont know
Re: dessicant super bruising! [Re: Zwieback0]
    #1447530 - 04/10/03 07:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

why do people say blue shrooms are monster potent then, its probly just a myth. and is it true they like blue light, i got some from my car i can put over the terranium if its solid science

--------------------
"hmmmmmmmm still thinking"

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: dessicant super bruising! [Re: AKcultivator]
    #1447558 - 04/10/03 07:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No, I dont think its any good. Light is only a way to tell them which way to grow in, nothing more.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Re: dessicant super bruising! [Re: Zwieback0]
    #1447567 - 04/10/03 07:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

No, blueing has nothing to do with higher alkoid content. It is a myth. Blueing is only caused by excessive handling, which lead to bruising.

Bruising is oxidization and occurs when the innards of the mushroom are exposed to air (oxygen). This can be through almost anything. A totally oxidized mushroom may lose much of it's potency, so be careful while handling.

Also, your problem may have been that you only let them fan dry for 30 hours. It's a good idea to leave them out there until they are almost cracker dry, at which point you can move them into the dessicant chamber.

Quote:

No, I dont think its any good. Light is only a way to tell them which way to grow in, nothing more.

Taken from the Shroomery FAQ:

Psilocybe Cubensis is a photosensitive mushroom, meaning certain spectra of light are necessary for pinhead formation and development. Ps. Cubensis responds best to light heavy in the blue- and ultra-violet spectrum, specifically which peak at 370, 440, and 460 nanometers. Red, infra-red, and green light on the other hand are ineffective at initiating pinheads. A few hours of light per day is really all that is needed.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Edited by Angry Mycologist (04/10/03 07:34 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation