Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Playing John Wayne, Doc Holiday....
    #1445413 - 04/10/03 02:19 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

...Or maybe Forest Gump. Disregard the bulk of this and skip down to the last paragraph or two. That's where the meet and pudding is at. The brass tax...

I am a fairly average kid. I attend class on a regular basis. I usually keep my head down, though not because I do not want to be recognized. Rather, I try and keep my own biased opinion out of the affairs of the classroom and accept what is being said at face value; I do not wish to intervene with the learning eperiences of others...
I am staying true to my goal of making excellent grades this semester-- semester of my sophomore year. I keep out of sight mostly, prefering to camp out in my apartment and get work done instead of finding friends. Hardly anybody recognizes me when I attend my linguistics class in the mornings. I suppose I don 't mind in the least, as far as my goals are concerned. But every so often I feel that urge...
My professor knows me as a serious student. I never appear jovial or bright so early in the morning. Rather, I am stone faced as I drink my coffee, determined. I answer questions without sarcasm. Perhaps I am loathsome to some... but I doubt it.
So image everyone's surprise when I showed up to class in a classy brown suede hat, 1920's style-- one that looked very much like a cowboy hat-- yesterday morning. Some might pull this look off. Not I. I looked ridiculous. And I knew it.
There I sat. In the center and halfway to the back. My hat shone brightly in the morning sun. The professor walked in, merry as usual, and spied the hat immediatly.
"Hey, intersting hat!" He beamed at me, and continued to stare as he propped his bicycle against the wall. I had been expecting this. I smiled brightly with my hat looming large above me. He began his lecture.
After quite a bit of lecturing and numerous pictorials on the chalkboard, the Prof. took a brief moment to ask my opinion on the subject, or perhaps to answer a specific question. A rare thing. In fact, the professor had long since ceased to call on me after realizing my inability to articulate my thoughts via speech. I would stutter and forget, stutter and forget...
I smiled warmly for effect and began my response. "Why, Profesah." I sounded like a slow Doc Holiday, a shining idiot. "Whatevah do you mean."
The class room around me stirred. Some gigged, some looked at me, most hardly paid attention. But I had done it. I couldn't turn back now. "Linguistics? It seems to me that we shouldn't meddle in such affairs." My accent sounded thick and ridiculous. Never had I spoken in such a manner.
The professor laughed loudly. He has this odd way of laughing-- more of a guffaw, really. All eyes were on me. I suspect that everyone expected me to take the hat off then, to laugh it off and then give a serious response. But I didn't.
With all earnesty I began a rant about Humans and language and our inadequate categorization (and thus mundanizing (hey! I think I'll coin a new word.)) of the language phenomenon. But I remained a Forest Gumpish Doc Holiday throughout, with a big ridiculous hat perched on my head. The professor stopped laughing after while, and the laughter in the classroom tapered out to a few supressed chuckles. I smiled brightly.
I suppose you're wondering what the hell all this is about, huh? A bunch of boring writing and no puch line? Well really what I wanted to ask is... has any one else tampered with the realm of acting, but actually pulled it off? Has anyone else believed in his role so much that he managed to realize the frivolity of his act but prefered it over the frivolity of reality? Has anyone else felt so unencumbered as to not care what others think and go with an insane art in an inappropriate situation?
I am posting this in this forum because I regard acting as a mysterious act... something to do with divinty. Acting, like art in general, can lift a soul out of the confines of ordinarity, and into the realm of the divine. Any thoughts/stories would be much appreciated. Thanks-
M.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBillowz
Fellow Shaman
Re: Playing John Wayne, Doc Holiday.... [Re: Alobar]
    #1447553 - 04/10/03 07:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Whoa that's awesome...I don't know if I could do something like that. But props to you anyways...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology