Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

Pan Cyans on Popcorn?
    #1422577 - 04/02/03 06:41 AM (21 years, 20 hours ago)

Every Tek I've seen for Pan Cyans involves a bulk substrate but I was wondering if it's possible to get them to fruit on straight popcorn. I have no experience with Pans so I was wondering if anyone else has fruited them on cased grains. Can anyone with experience with them help me out?

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: GratefulDread]
    #1422700 - 04/02/03 09:07 AM (21 years, 17 hours ago)

I don't believe you would get a flush signifigant enough to consider a harvest, if they did fruit at all. Pans are a bit pickier than cubes, you'll probably need a straw or dung based substrate.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: Raadt]
    #1422853 - 04/02/03 10:19 AM (21 years, 16 hours ago)

Thanks Raadt. I'll use straw but I think I'll do one jar without either just to try it out.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1422856 - 04/02/03 10:22 AM (21 years, 16 hours ago)

i dont think pans will fruit without dung either in the substrate or in the casing layer.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: the spiral]
    #1422964 - 04/02/03 11:13 AM (21 years, 15 hours ago)

I have fruited them on straw alone.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: Raadt]
    #1423063 - 04/02/03 12:11 PM (21 years, 14 hours ago)

i stand corrected :smile: 

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

OfflineDim
The Embodimentof the Conceptof Fuck

Loc: some terrifying, cold, im...
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: the spiral]
    #1429603 - 04/04/03 05:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i have never tried such a feat.. but does anyone think they might be able to fruit on wild birdseed.. after all, it is very lignin-rich

--------------------
"Once a nation bases its security on an absolute weapon, such as the atom bomb, it becomes psychologically necessary to believe in an absolute enemy." - P.M.S. Blackett

Anonymous

#1436962 - 04/07/03 05:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Cow manure is the best single ingredient substrate for all the Copelandias.

There is nothing better for resistance to contamination, yield, and ability to achieve yield in shallow substrate layers.

Rye grain > bird seed both yield extremely small mature mushrooms.

If you can find cow manure USE IT.

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: ]
    #1439796 - 04/08/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Is horse manure much different?

Thanks

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: Dim]
    #1439805 - 04/08/03 03:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It's possible to fruit them without the necessary ingredients (straw or dung), but barely. I've seen pics of pans from cakes, or cased grains, but we're talking about one or two fruits, and inconsistent results at that. So if you are talking about absolute statements, pans can be grown without casing layers and without dung or straw. If you are talking about growing enough for at least a single trip, you need straw or poo and a casing layer.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: mycofile]
    #1440140 - 04/08/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Anyone have luck with Pan Cyans on mycotapro compost?

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: psyphon]
    #1440314 - 04/08/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Cow manure is better for pans/cops. At least in my Experience.

Anonymous

Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: mycofile]
    #1440373 - 04/08/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The cambodian strain of Copelandia cyanescens in circulation fruits wall to wall on straight rye grain, they just don't get LARGE. Wall to wall flushes with 100+ shrooms yielding about 1-2 grams dry. Shroom size is 1-3 inch tall with caps under 1/4 inch(usually about 1/8 inch)

1 inch substrate layer in a 8" x 8" brownie pan, cased with peat:perlite at less then 1/4 inch.

I agree. THE USE of Manure or manure straw DRASTICALLY increases yield(approx. 7-14 times the yield) and decreases contamination rate, speed to flush, and just about everything else.

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: ]
    #1444494 - 04/09/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

When you say peat:perlite do you mean a seed starting mixture composed mainly of that? Because I can get something similar except it has some pumice in there as well as some vermicullite. It is mostly peat though..
Also the wall to wall thing... I 've seen it happen when I did'nt use a casing. Do you think if I did a casing I'd get LARGER fruits?

Anonymous

Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: kingkc]
    #1450788 - 04/11/03 07:35 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Size of copelandias are Strain dependent first.

Usually small fruits are associated with Excessive humidity(moisture) without the Air exchange to compensate for the wetness.

I just use bagged peat and bagged perlite or vermiculite and mix them myself.

Colonize substrate completely, wait 24 hours. Case with 1/4 inch or less of casing soil. Bring up to field capacity by lightly misting if neccessary. Let it incubate in the dark for 24-48 hours, and place in fruiting chamber. Avoid misting !! Wait till day 5 from casing, and start fanning at least once a day manually. When the first pin forms I usually stop fanning for 24-48 hours until Many pins form. Then start fanning at least 1 time a day manually.

I prefer a small tray. I have seen no advantage to using trays deeper then 3 inches with Copelandias. Yields are actually reduced in bulk, relative to efficiency of smaller trays.

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1456836 - 04/14/03 11:00 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

pan cyans on mycota pro   :laugh:  btw, this was my first try with pans, and i was happily surprised: the fruits turned out farly large, the ones in the pics are in the 5-6" (high) range, taller than the cubes i had growing at the same time.  :laugh:

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Edited by comario2 (04/14/03 11:08 AM)

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: comario2]
    #1456843 - 04/14/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

sweet.... :grin:

--------------------

Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1470692 - 04/18/03 02:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

What sort of casing material did you use on the nice flush there?

OfflineTerrazza
Stranger
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: kingkc]
    #1678817 - 07/02/03 01:21 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry for shoveling this old post up...,

Teonan. Next to commercial pan producers in Holland, probably you and Millet are the biggest whiz-kids on my block. I've grown pans in the past, and only two times have I had pans that grew into what I would deam a perfect pan mushroom. That is, about 7" tall, with caps that actually opened up and dropped spores after spreading a massive 3/4 to 1" in diameter (actually had a 2" diameter Cambodgienesis). Funny thing is that most of the time, my pans grow smaller than 2" and have tiny caps that invert themselves and are only 1/8" in diameter, and never drop spores, and I hate those pans... I'm tired of people, who have probably never even grown a pan before, saying that "perhaps they're not getting enough fresh oxygen, or the humidity is too high". I have an Antonius setup with a hepa filtered fan that brings in tons of fresh oxygen, and a hepa ultra sonic humidifier, both running simultaneously 12 times a day, or 7 minutes on every other hour.... Lots of fresh air, air currents, and humidity at around 85-90%. Zero stagnation.

My question for any pan guru is this. What are the pitfalls and solutions that allow/prevent consistent flushes of perfect specimens, given ideal humidity, temperature, lighting, and oxygen concentration. As specific as possible, I'm wanting to learn how you maintain and monitor your casing's moisture level on manure based substrates through the mushroom cycle in terms of amount of mistings and time frame for mistings.

Perhaps its best fit to explain what exactly I have been doing. To begin with, I have made 3 batches of my own phase I/II compost from donkey manure, straw, and vermiculite over the past 2 years. Kind of like mushroom growing, quality composting, errr actinomycete cultivation, takes some practice and work... After phase II composting and pasteurization, the compost is nearly light gray with actinomycetes, and after it is spawned with pan mycelium, it is fully colonized in a matter of days. I have always been consistent in achieving the moisture content and high quality of colonization without contaminations in all my composts, so I don't think my problem is here.

After 100% colonization of substrate, I case with 50% peat and 50% vermiculite, always sterilized, and pH tested, and just 1/4" deep.
What patterns of misting should I practice from this point? On a timeline between when you apply the casing, to when you uncover the casing in the fruiting chamber, to when you have pins, to when you pick mushrooms, to when you start your 2nd flush cycle, would you say the moisture content of your casing is at each point? Is there a particular point at which misting should be avoided?

After reading your post Teonan, it sounds like you apply your casing, and immediately mist it to field capacity (100% saturation?) and between that and mushrooms, you never mist again. Damn me if it's that easy!

Thanks in advance, and I hope this helps more than just me.

Thanks & Peace.
Terrazza

Edited by Terrazza (07/02/03 01:24 AM)

OfflineTerrazza
Stranger
Re: Pan Cyans on Popcorn? [Re: Terrazza]
    #1691464 - 07/06/03 10:07 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry to see no reply.., so I thought I'd play some bump bump with yall.  :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder