Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroomman23
casing vs pf cakes
    #3208600 - 10/02/04 10:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well i would like to here what different growers prefer. i more so want to here from the growers who have done both.
i my self after working with a casing i would prefer pf cakes over a casing for a number of reasons i do beleave that casings yield more
but as far as i see it that is it. i mean with the pf cakes you may lose some yield but at the same time you are more likly to get contaminats with a casing and have to toss the hole thing. with a pf cake its not that easly contaminated at least not untill after a few flushes i also think that it would be a lot easer to find a outstanding strain with pf cakes i mean if u were to innoclat 24 pf cakes and choses that one that just out preforms the reast and all you would have to do is clone that to a agar dish from that to some test tubes now the same would be a lot harder with 24 casings. one last note i dont think there is any diffrenc with alkalod content from a casing or a pf cake i my self will happly be going back to pf cakes i also plan on steping up to grow bags so i can have pf blocks as a block will out preform a 1/2 pint jar by a long shot. but as i said i would like to here what some other growers think

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOriginalDank
Young Gun
Loc: Earth...sometimes
Re: casing vs pf cakes [Re: mushroomman23]
    #3208687 - 10/02/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Id really like to know what growers prefer as well. This should be interesting...

--------------------
She blow like a pro, oh no i got to keep her

How you gonna post on this site about your obvious grow, and then state some garbage claiming you have no idea whats goin on? Im not hatin on anyone in particular. I just think its funny that people think that their little 'disclaimers' would actually prevent legal action being takin if deemed necessary. Or am i just missing the point...

Offlineephesus
10 31 02
    #3209261 - 10/03/04 07:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well i might not be of too much help since im on my first grow, but i did both cakes and casings, and by the time my casing were full of pins my cakes had almost nothing, i had two full casings of pins and two cakes with just a few, so i took em off and cased them too because it seemed obvious that casings were much more productive,,, but i would also like to hear some more expert advice...

--------------------
"all that you touch, and all that you see, is all that your life will ever be." -Floyd, Pink

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #3209670 - 10/03/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

most people prefer casings, but cakes look way cool in a terrarium

--------------------
buh

Offlinechal420
plur
 User Gallery

Re: casing vs pf cakes [Re: shirley knott]
    #14431690 - 05/10/11 08:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i have done both but i have only done casing 2 times and cakes the rest i like cakes the best it seems to me that casing takes longer cuz the mycelium has to grow more and also if you take care of your cakes (misting the right temp humid and all that good stuff) and get 3 4 or 5 flushes then your yield well be the same or more than casing and i agree it is alot harder for the cakes to contam than it is for casing. now when i have done casing i have only done one cake for casing wi was thinking about tryin 3 just to see how that works out so if you have more than one cake in the casing it may be better im not too sure

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: casing vs pf cakes [Re: chal420]
    #14431759 - 05/10/11 08:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

if your talking about crumbling a cake and then applying a casing layer your better of leavingt them as cakes. Ive tried both and never found any performance difference. both gave similar results. any difference was minimal and just down to ginetics.

how can a crumble and cased cake produce more without any extra food>

I personaly dont like the term casing, ive been away a while but when i was active it could be taken the wrong way. cased substrate is imo correct. casing is the act of applying a casing layer.

technicalitys asside (and spelling)

cakes are IMO better left as cakes. ive had them produce lovely flushes on average of 50g fresh on both first and 2nd flush in 2 litre soda bottle fruiting chambers consistantly and have seen others produce some amazing flushes.

If you want to increase yeild, going bulk is the way forward, even if its on a small scale. the more you up the scale, the bigger the reward

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Loc: The Downside of Up
Re: casing vs pf cakes [Re: veda_sticks]
    #14432334 - 05/10/11 10:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
if your talking about crumbling a cake and then applying a casing layer your better of leavingt them as cakes. Ive tried both and never found any performance difference. both gave similar results. any difference was minimal and just down to ginetics.

how can a crumble and cased cake produce more without any extra food>

I personaly dont like the term casing, ive been away a while but when i was active it could be taken the wrong way. cased substrate is imo correct. casing is the act of applying a casing layer.

technicalitys asside (and spelling)

cakes are IMO better left as cakes. ive had them produce lovely flushes on average of 50g fresh on both first and 2nd flush in 2 litre soda bottle fruiting chambers consistantly and have seen others produce some amazing flushes.

If you want to increase yeild, going bulk is the way forward, even if its on a small scale. the more you up the scale, the bigger the reward

You need a PC for bulk.
I have never had success with a cake and my forearms are like pop eye's for arms because of all the fanning. I crumbled 7 1/2 pint cakes to some left over coir, let it colonize and got over 100 pins the first flush in a garbage bag because I gave up on it and was going to chuck, forgot about it and checked as I was taking to trash and there were pins everywhere. I had no extra FC empty so I just picked the little skinny little things and dried them.

There is no need to case cube bulk unless you are using trays and you can't get the humidity right in your FC, or it will help if you use a sub with additives and poo it may give you a more even first pinset.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

Edited by 3n1gm4 (05/10/11 10:29 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate