Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: gofudgeyourself]
    #14249513 - 04/06/11 07:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:sad: That sucks, the whole reason I bought the torch was to work with the SAB this thread is about.

Moving needles and especially scalpels is such a hassle for me when working with it.

I wanted a SAB that would provide the maximum amount of sterility and usability.

The idea for the microtorch came from a post by hyphae where he used one(along with an air ionizer) in his completely airtight GB, no problems with running out of oxygen(my first post in this thread has a link to hyphaes GB instructions)

Maybe in a SAB thats not airtight it will cause problems:confused2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegofudgeyourself
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Wise Toad]
    #14250338 - 04/06/11 10:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Wise Toad said:
:sad: That sucks, the whole reason I bought the torch was to work with the SAB this thread is about.

Moving needles and especially scalpels is such a hassle for me when working with it.

I wanted a SAB that would provide the maximum amount of sterility and usability.

The idea for the microtorch came from a post by hyphae where he used one(along with an air ionizer) in his completely airtight GB, no problems with running out of oxygen(my first post in this thread has a link to hyphaes GB instructions)

chances are you cant make the box entirely air tight, in which case air will be sucked in when you pull your arms out and stir the air inside, defeating the entire purpose of a gb. not only that but you wont be able to move objects in and out of your gb, which to me would be THE most annoying part of working in a gb. i tried this first. siliconed dish gloves over couplers in my duct taped gb. it was a major pain the the ass. mold and the like are similar to dust. when theyre on the ground, theyre no problem, you dont work on the ground. when theyre in the AIR however, they become a problem, attaching to things youre working with. keep this in mind when considering sterile technique. minimize the stiring of air and make sure you keep things away from where spores cling to.

this post is basically a regurgitation of what RR and many trusted cultivators have already stated, plastic box with arm holes that allow work in an area safe from drafts and moving air you might experience in most areas of your house. learn from mistakes that others have made and save yourself some stress and time. not to say attempting innovation is futile, just use common sense when people state the same thing over and over and over  again.

--------------------
"believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare."

"turn all the hate in the world, into a mocking bird. make it fly away" :peace:

InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: gofudgeyourself]
    #14252455 - 04/07/11 10:41 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:whathesaid:

sorry WT...I would NEVER recommend a flame inside an SAB/GB.

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Offlineic3.qu33n
Muff Muncher
Female User Gallery

Loc: NY
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Barakanaten]
    #14253480 - 04/07/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

well of course...As you can see I have a horror story of my own...
notice the shriveled up sleeve:whoa:

Can you imagine what it is like to be on fire :onfire: and not be able to get your hands out of a GB while your running around screaming :omgawesome:

OMG that just gave me a serious laugh for a minute.  one time i tipped over my shot glass alcohol lamp in the sink while lit.  luckily I keep a pitcher of water nearby in case something like that ever occured.  not funny while its happening but it sure gives you a chuckle later....

--------------------
:alert: Disclaimer: Anything, I've said I do or done, or say is a complete facade of my dog Dr. Myco McRufferton's dream lifestyle. :alert:

Freestone Texas Grow

<<:mushroom2:Freestone Texas and B+ Prints available for Trade:mushroom2:>> PM me

My 5g Bucket Dehydrator Tek

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: ic3.qu33n]
    #14254154 - 04/07/11 04:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Can't argue with good logic, sorry bout all that, ill change my procedures up. Thanks TL, Ham, n fudge:grin:

I still love this microtorch even if I can't use it inside there, quick sterilization :flamethrow: 

Its been about 5 days since I poured my MEA with your SAB and they are all clean TL :rockon:

This completely changes my plans though; should I work in my other SAB for this, the one with only two open holes. Flaming that scalpel and getting it in your SAB without touching anything or cutting anything might be a bit of a hassle as were syringe/jar inoculations in there. The other one offers great maneuverability with those little tools; not trying to knock your SAB TL just trying to find what will work the best for the situation.

Of course I will need something to plug the holes, the plugs that go in your SAB are a tiny bit too small(since the holes drilled in my open GB are 4.5") but I might be able to keep them in place with a small piece of tape or some other improvisation.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14254178 - 04/07/11 04:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I maneuver through my Tyvek sleeves w/ all my red hot utensils...

You can cover the holes w/ cling wrap or foil. That's what I did for the PE6 prints I took. Used the old SAB & covered the holes w/ foil, as it doesn't have the clean out plugs. (it's the one in the picture @ the end of the tek on the first page w/ the black arm holes.)

--------------------
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs

OfflineMycowlogist
Freethinker
Male

Loc: in a galaxy far far away....
    #14304952 - 04/17/11 07:27 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Wise Toad said:

Can you just make a small whole large enough to stick your needle through to the outside of the box, fire the needle, and slide it back into the box.  Like a sterilization Port!  Sounds fancy!

--------------------
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."  Honest Abe

Offlinedrosmoka
Stranger

Loc: Titletown
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Mycowlogist]
    #14305074 - 04/17/11 08:32 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

possibly throw in something that looks like a doggy door so it's not open permanently

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: drosmoka]
    #14305613 - 04/17/11 11:01 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

hmm...that is quite the little dilemma. :strokebeard: I'll think about it today for ya...

1/4" hole in the side of the SAB covered w/ RTV? hmmm...:justdontknow:

--------------------

OfflineEctius
Werecat Ninjabeast
Male

Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #14306425 - 04/17/11 01:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

todlow said:
hmm...that is quite the little dilemma. :strokebeard: I'll think about it today for ya...

1/4" hole in the side of the SAB covered w/ RTV? hmmm...:justdontknow:

A red-hot needle would punch a hole through RTV.

1/4" hole with a 1/4" vial stopper?  Remove, flame, replace.

Though that would compromise the air-tightness of your box for those 6 seconds.  :justdontknow:

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: Ectius]
    #14306529 - 04/17/11 01:52 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ectius said:
A red-hot needle would punch a hole through RTV.

That's not true. I've done it & seen it done many a time.

--------------------

OfflineMycowlogist
Freethinker
Male

#14306603 - 04/17/11 02:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I guess as long as the needle is under the temperature that the RTV is rated for, it should work.  Damn, I wished I wouldn't have thrown those old ass lids out!  I would have done me some test pokin by now!

:syringe::omgawesome:

--------------------
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."  Honest Abe

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

#14308644 - 04/17/11 08:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I did a whole bunch of agar work last night and your GB worked great for me; I had only used it a time or two before all this and that was with 60cc syringes. That was rather stupid on my part:facepalm:, thanks for such an awesome piece of equipment. Did four transfers, poured ten petris, and unrelated to the gb I made 9 tubes at a slant. Cloning and Isolation here I come:smile:

OfflineMycowlogist
Freethinker
Male

#14309031 - 04/17/11 09:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Nice!  I like the analytical and scientific process of this hobby! 

:crazy2:

Love being the control in control!

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14309088 - 04/17/11 09:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

WT - thankx brotha :awedance::awethumb:

Myco - damn right, but it's not as scientific as one makes it out to be. For instance, what's a quart of spawn to you? 600mL, 650mL, 700mL, etc...It's all small variants of calculations that most noobs don't understand. Also, say 500mL of water per LC...well when you boil water it evaporates...:strokebeard: It's odd & it's not as specific w/ the measurements as one would hope, but it all gets done & that's why I live by "What works for one, Does not for the other"

:getstoned:

--------------------

InvisibleFunGuy1492
Your brother

Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: TranscendingLife] * 1
    #14427754 - 05/10/11 12:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the BA tek TL!  Simple build and I am sure it will be effective.

I am short on cash after all the investments I have been making while growing with this hobby, so I decided to go with the hot knife method instead of buying the hole saw.

Using the hot knife worked very well for me and created symmetrical circles for the PVC clean out adapters.

TL gave me permission to post a little pictorial on here for using the flame and knife method.

If you don't have or can't afford a hole saw, this method worked well for me.

Use a sturdy razor blade or a utility knife. 

Here is ole' Bessey that I used.

Get your mask on.  I know there are some slight fumes, but when I cut into and melted the Sterilite 1928 tote there were no noticeable fumes while I had the mask on.  I was in a closed room with no fan on.

Get an alcohol flame going or use your stove.
Heat the knife up for 10-20 seconds.

Use the tip of the blue portion of the flame to heat your blade, it will get hot faster. Have the flame and knife in a place where you can quickly get the knife to your traced holes on the tote.  The knife cools quickly so the quicker you can begin the cut, the more you will get done.  Carefully and steadily cut through the trace on the tote.  Be patient while you get the hang of it. 

At first you may only get through 1/4" or a 1/2" before you have to reheat the knife, but eventually you will figure out how to get it up there quickly and make a 1" - 2" cut each time.  Be methodical, careful, and patient, you will get through it in no time.  As you make the cut and reheat the knife position the tote or your body such that you are in position to make the new angled cut.

Another trick I learned was once you have made the cut, and the knife begins cooling down pull it back through the area that you just cut.  Melted plastic that you just cut tends to stick back together and will need to be cut again if you don't do it while it's hot. It took me 19 knife heats for the first run and only 13 for the second :smile:  Not so bad.

and have I said to be careful with the knife yet?

Here is the cutting process and the resulting holes

Scored and ready for the PVC cleanouts

and the sweet completed still air box, sealed, clamped, and sleeved.

I made the holes at slightly different heights like another member suggested.  I also centered the holes a bit to the left of the tote to leave room for a line of quart jars on the right side (don't know if this will be beneficial, but I figured it couldn't hurt).

Another satisfied customer :smile:

The SAB is hanging out with todays other projects :biggrin:

I hope someone finds this info useful.

THANKS TL!! Your Teks and advice have been invaluable to me. Peace bro.

--------------------
Anything that I type in the space above has been completely fabricated to boost my self esteem.  All of the pictures I am posting here were copied from other places on the internet. Thanks for reading. (I'm still cool, right guys, right?)

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GloveBox/Still Air Box Tek [Re: FunGuy1492]
    #14429317 - 05/10/11 11:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

looks great bro :awethumb:

Just a side note, the hottest part of the flame is where the white meets the blue. Just a little FYI.

--------------------

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

#14430884 - 05/10/11 05:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well TL, iv done dozens of clone/isolate petri transfers in your GB within the last two weeks and have yet to see a contam. Its awesome worthy of some  :awejeez:  :Awemazing:  :awesomeB52: and soon some :awetrippie: 

Just thought you should know ill be a smooth flight all the way through agar work with this box

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14430920 - 05/10/11 05:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

:bananadance:

Great to hear WT :awedance:

I've been doing the same thing lately. Just working on PE6 ATM. I updated my lid tek w/ a picture of the giant pin I took the first extraction from.

--------------------

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

#14465656 - 05/17/11 12:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

2 things:

1. Well I solved the main problem Iv been having with this GB (for what its worth to you guys). The problem that I had hinged on the difficulty of removing my left hand to flame the scalpel with the tyvek sleeve clinging on. Don't know if this is on all latex gloves but mine have two sides: smooth and sticky. Now I simply use the smooth side for my left hand which makes of easy in out movement:doggystyle: and sticky on the right side in order to grasp the scalpel and disconnect parafilm from the paper that holds it in place(smooth doesn't work for that). This new configuration has things working all that much more efficiently for me.

2. TL, how often do you remove and clean the tyvek wrist sleeves, out of curiosity

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract