Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

Loc: Rehab
Use of Arithromicin in cultivation?
    #1442690 - 04/09/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

A friend of mine is dead set on using Azithromycin (a common anti-bacterial agent used for venereal disease and bacterial infection in fish tanks,) in cultivation because he thinks it will help prevent bacteria or fungus infecting the substrate.

I think it will do nothing but harm and cost him a lot of money.

Does anyone here know about Azithromycin usages in cultivation? Or can you help me disprove a weird myth?

--------------------
Nothing is True. Everything is permitted.
Everything is true. Nothing is 'permitted'.

Every man and woman is a star.
Each star is it's own prison.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Use of Arithromicin in cultivation? [Re: Kiafi]
    #1442695 - 04/09/03 11:11 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

<prevent bacteria or fungus infecting the substrate<

not a good idea as the plan is to infect the substrate with a fungus

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1442749 - 04/09/03 11:27 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Tell him he is a fool , this will not work , you will kill the Arithromyacin in the PC process . If he is all that worried about his" sterilization tecniques" he can use GENTAMYCIN SULFATE . Antibiotics should only be used sparingly if bacteria sources cannot be eleminated from labratory and culture . Many species can be adversely affected by the use of such anibiotics .
Good Luck
PS Mushrooms fall in the category of "FUNGUS" , do you want to kill this ?

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (04/09/03 11:28 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1443000 - 04/09/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like your friend's idea hasn't gone down well so far.

i've never used agar yet, but the mention of antibiotic-laced agars (like the gentamicin one) is well established. using azithromycin in this way may be good, or may be no good. it isn't an antifungal, so maybe it only depends on whether it can withstand pcing. give it a go.

--------------------
buh

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Use of Arithromicin in cultivation? [Re: shirley knott]
    #9555016 - 01/05/09 11:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry to drudge up an old post but does anyone have any more recent information on Azithromycin (trade name: Zithromax) as it might be used in cultivation?

I was thinking something along the lines of as an additive to casing layers which are, or might get contaminated with bacteria (I don't think molds or other fungi are sensitive to it).

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Use of Arithromicin in cultivation? [Re: Aeolus1369] * 1
    #9556371 - 01/06/09 07:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Do you really want to risk creating an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria in your house?

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Use of Arithromicin in cultivation? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #9556397 - 01/06/09 07:43 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

One thing I don't get is why people come up with the idea of introducing some chemical or pharmaceutical bomb into the growing process. Apparently they are either paranoid or have failed in the past. So instead of revising their sterile procedures and eyeballing the environment for possible entry points for contaminations they want to stock up their nuclear arsenal.
It is the wrong path to embark on. These things are not needed. It has been proven time and again with well established cultivation methods. Those are the ones that should be followed, because they work just fine. If you fail at that then it is time to look into what YOU are doing WRONG.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Use of Arithromicin in cultivation? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9655003 - 01/21/09 08:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, I agree with everything you say...of course it's easier (and smarter) to develop good culture techniques. 

That being said though, it could be of interest for experimental purposes.  For example, does wiping out all bacteria in a casing layer help anything in the long run (or harms it if the bacteria is competing with molds or something)?

I have some prescribed azithromycin lying around and was just curious.  Didn't really need a lecture, thanks.

And re:
Quote:

Nibin said:
Do you really want to risk creating an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria in your house?

The risk is acceptably low.  At high enough concentrations over short periods of time, everything's most likely going to be wiped out or not be exposed to the antibiotic long enough to develop resistance.  Furthermore, any bugs that did develop resistance would most likely not be potential pathogens but rather common soil microbes which would fall back into equilibrium once the selection is removed.

Edited by Aeolus1369 (01/21/09 08:50 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Use of Arithromicin in cultivation? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #9655043 - 01/21/09 08:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

For example, does wiping out all bacteria in a casing layer help anything in the long run (or harms it if the bacteria is competing with molds or something)?

Yes.  We specifically pasteurize casing layers to ensure that the bacteria survive.  We want to kill the mold spores, but leave the bacteria, which helps protect against molds in the future, and bacteria also help to stimulate primordia formation in many species.

The main use for antibiotics in mushroom growing is when trying to clone wild picked fruits that are swarming with bacteria that really take off and grow on agar media.  Once we have a clean culture, sterile technique is the proper way to grow.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck