Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBig_Jack
Ape Fancier

Loc: Under the Stairs
Cubensis or Mexicana?
    #1439756 - 04/08/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm planning my second trip with a friend of mine next week and I'll be getting my hands on 20 grams of either Cubensis or Mexicana, I've already taken Cubensis on one occasion and now I have this second variety available to me

I've had a search but I've not found anything on the direct comparison of these two types. (But I'll bet this has been tackled elsewhere)

I know they vary from one batch to the next, but what I'm getting at is basically which one is usually the more potent if either?

Cheers for any help.
Big Jack

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScumBagMaximum
Recovering CPAddict

Loc: california
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Big_Jack]
    #1439773 - 04/08/03 03:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

isn't Mexicana a type of cube?

--------------------
~~SBM~~

OfflineBig_Jack
Ape Fancier

Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: ScumBagMaximum]
    #1439792 - 04/08/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Don't know that one but there is a difference between one and the other (according to the FAQ) which says Mexicana is smaller than it's brother and yet the dosages are the same, so perhaps Mex may be the one.

Anonymous

#1439797 - 04/08/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The dosages are the same because they're measured in weight.

I'm thinking the mexicana is the sclerotia forming species? I forget. I'd go with either, theyre probably very similar in potency. (if they werent people would likely grow mexicana over cubensis more often)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1439887 - 04/08/03 03:54 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

isn't Mexicana a type of cube?

Yes and no.  There is a race of P. Cubensis - Mexicana, but there is also a species called P. Mexicana.  Gotta love the confusion created there... :smile:

The dosages are the same because they're measured in weight.

Better be careful with that logic.  What matters is the percent of active alkaloids per weight of fruit body.  Different species produce magic in different ratios.

I don't have my references handy for the percentage in P. Mexicana vs P. Cubensis, but I think P. Mexicana is stronger.  It has been a long time, and I could be mistaken here...

I'm thinking the mexicana is the sclerotia forming species?

It is.  You are much more likely to see stones than fruit from P. Mexicana because the bioefficency is so much greater.  The fruit from P. Mexicana is much smaller than P. Cubensis.  The mycelium also looks a lot different.  P. Mexicana mycelium is white and fluffy at the edges, but has an orangish hue towards the center (on a petri dish).

If you get something that looks like P. Cubensis in size, then you probably have the mexicana race rather than the mexicana species.  In that case, the dosage would be the same that you are used to.

If you get something that looks smaller than P. Cubensis, or stones instead of fruit body, then you probably have P. Mexicana.  In this case I would recommend more research or ask a real expert, such as Anno, before dosing.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinemrpants
jedi

Loc: London
    #1440025 - 04/08/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Nice to see a fellow CaBer on this board.

/me tips hat...

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: mrpants]
    #1440042 - 04/08/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Heim and Hoffman detected .25% psilocybin and .15% psilocin in psilocybe mexicana. Stamets goes on to say in "Psilocybe mushrooms of the world" that fresher specimens are undoubtedly more potent. Cubensis have .60%/.60% psilocybin/psilocin I believe..

I was under the impression that mexicana were actually less potent than cubes by weight.. although that was for sclerotia not fruits I believe. I don't know if there would be a difference. I'm sure someone else can answer your question better.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1440387 - 04/08/03 06:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I was under the impression that mexicana were actually less potent than cubes by weight..

You may be correct... I honestly can't remember one way or the other...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineBig_Jack
Ape Fancier

Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Seuss]
    #1440550 - 04/08/03 07:39 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Nice to see a fellow CaBer on this board.

/me tips hat...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings MrPants.

/me tips beer over

Just to clarify it's the species of mexicana not the race.

<suddenly feels chuffed that he asked a bit of a stumper of his first question>

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1440580 - 04/08/03 07:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

P. mexicana takes 6 to twelve small liberty cap size shrooms werighing at least a quarter of a fresh ounce as compared to a fresh ounce of P. cubensis which can be one giant shroom or ten to 40 small shrooms.

P. mexicana is the most sought after shroom amongst Mazatec shamans living in the Mexican State of Oaxaca in the high Sierra Mazateca range..

They are entirely different tha the P. cubensis,.

And it is those uneducated shroom peddlers in Amsterdam at the Smart Shopps who offer P. cubensis strains as Mexicana cubensis shrooms. Or sas P. mexicanus. Those are only P. cubensis.

And as for sclerotia, they all sell sclerotia of P. tampanensis and not sclerotia of P. mexicana.

They sell spores for the non-existant species they call P. mexicanus, which are also P. cubensis and not P. mexicana.

My mushroom, P. samuiensis is the only mushroom directly related both macroscopically and microscopically to Psilocybe mexicana found outside of mexico.

Here is an image of them for you to see and understand what size they are.

They look exactly like my shrooms only they grow from three to five inches in height while P. samuiensis grows only to a height oif three inches.

Here below is P. samuiensis

and here below for comparison is P. mexicana

and then here is your one dose of P. cubensis These cubies were weighed on a postal scale and were just ynder one fresh ounce which is also equal to 3-5 fried grams.

mj

mj

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1442019 - 04/09/03 05:50 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

From my expereince P. mexicana fruits are roughly the same potency as P. cubensis. A different kind of trip though.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Anno]
    #1442169 - 04/09/03 07:41 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

From my expereince P. mexicana fruits are roughly the same potency as P. cubensis. A different kind of trip though.

How can this be? Psilocybin is rapidly converted to psilocin once you eat a mushroom and psilocin is the same substance no matter what species it comes from. If the molecule is identical in all cases, how can one mushroom give a different trip than another?

I know that in the case of marijuana, there are many different chemicals involved in the high, so different strains produce different effects, but as far as I know, that's not the case with mushrooms. The trip comes exclusively from psilocin in every case.

Am I missing something?

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Diploid]
    #1442230 - 04/09/03 08:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yep, there are not two but four chemicals in Psilocybian mushrooms. Baeocystin is the third chemical found in most Psilocybian mushrooms and along with psiloc-(yb)in can alter the effects found from eating the mushrooms. But I would guess that the most influencing factor is Norbaeocystin as it is the closest molecular model to serotonin. When dephosphorolated like psilocybin, it seems that it would become serotonin extremely close to serotonin missing only the hydroxy in the fifth position on the indole ring. Yet, serotonin can not cross the blood-brain barrier, and therefore I can not figure how norbaeocystin would color a trip differently if it also cannot cross the barrier.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: diggitydankman]
    #1442341 - 04/09/03 09:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Yep, there are not two but four chemicals in Psilocybian mushrooms.

Sure, there are actually thousands of chemicals in a mushroom, but only two are known to be psychoactive, psilocybin and psilocin; and psilocybin is very rapidly dephosphorylated by alkaline phosphatase to psilocin so it doesn't count.

Mushrooms also contain smaller amounts of baeocystin and norbaeocystin and both are probably psychoactive (though this isn't certain) but they're just psilocybin with one or two methyls missing, are probably cross-tolerant due to their structure, and occur in much smaller concentrations than psilocybin. And as you say, it's unlikely that norbaeocystin can cross the blood-brain barrier.

This leaves us with at most three (psilocin, baeocystin, and maybe norbaeocystin) psychoactive alkaloids. It doesn't seem likely that the widely varying 'flavors' of trips people report could be due to just these three substances.

I agree that people seem to have different trips with different mushrooms, but I'm not convinced that the differences in the trips are due to the different mushrooms as much as from different environments, surroundings, and state of mind.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Diploid]
    #1442412 - 04/09/03 09:32 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Baeocystin

As you can see it is a psychadelic. Also in most Psilocybes, Baeocystin has been found mostly in unrecorded amounts or not even checked for and some psilocybian mushrooms may contain rather large quantities of both (nor)- baeocystin. It is the only other known tryptamine in hallucinogenic mushrooms and therefore makes a good candidate for the variable types of trips one may have.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

OfflineBig_Jack
Ape Fancier

Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Anno]
    #1442447 - 04/09/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

So Mexicana will lead to a (somehow) different type of trip to Cubes?

Can someone give me an idea of what you mean by this?

Speaking from my first go on cubes, I had the giggles, became much more fluid with my speach and then became quite aware of the connections between people (my family for example), it culminated with me looking in my bathroom mirror for about 20 minutes while my face changed shape and my features moved around like a kelidoscope version of a 'magic eye' picture, I backed off when my hands started aching from holding the sink. I kept looking in the mirror and started focusing and unfocusing my eyes, which created some stunningly weird visuals the outline of my body went from normal to fuzzy and then to 'splashed out' is the only way I can think of describing it

eg From this........................ ..To this................................. To finally this

I know they are difficult to put into words but I'd like a little more info before I go and get them.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1442495 - 04/09/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You'll still recognise it as psilocybin but there is a very noticeable difference. Mexicana sclerotica produce a hangover quite unlike cubes and much more of a stoned feeling. Why I'm not sure - but in terms of hangovers they are so unlike as to be almost different drugs.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

#1442580 - 04/09/03 10:34 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

IMO, there is a lack of scientific effort to characterize all the other chemicals in the mushrooms and their possible psychoactivity ,when alone and when in synergy with the main ones.
simple as that.

Edited by Hermes_br (12/13/04 09:00 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1445733 - 04/10/03 04:29 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

God Damn! Thank god MJ replied before the ignorance blew my mind! You cannot even compare the potency of a mushroom like Cubensis with that of Mexicanna.
Quoting STamets is profoundly misleading - in reality I would say that Mexicanna and Pan cyans are a lot more potent than cubensis by weight or dried grams - and woodlovers like ps.cyanescens, azurescens, bohemica, subaeruginosa and eucalypta are again a lot more potent than pan cyans and mexicanna. Some of these species can give you a level 3 experience from five mushroom fruits fresh.
Really - cubensis is a WEAKLY potent mushroom.
Mexicanna is a pure mushroom used for countless generations for its spiritual content, where cubensis (San isidro) is considered a weed mushroom.
PICK MEXICANNA if it really is MEXICANNA straight away!!
Most grass-growing species with the possible exception of Semilanceata produce schletoria

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Cubensis or Mexicana? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1445742 - 04/10/03 04:39 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Anno - I dont agree at all. Are you telling me that you had to consume the same amount of dry weight of schletoria or fruit bodies as with cubensis to get the same experience?
Secondly there are countless alkaloids present and found in mushrooms ranging from serotonin trymtamine based alkaloids some of which are already known to active, to a variety of tryptophan converted alkaloids with structures so similar to Psilocybin and psilocin that its more doubtful that they would not be active - Aerugincine and Urea as examples.
So the basis for variations in experiences between specifically species of psilocybe/gymnopilus/panaeolus can be easily argued to be demonstrated by the wide variation in these 20+ tryptophan related or converted alkaloids and their ratios within different species.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract