Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTheCreampie
Male

Loc: Corner of crack and 8-bal...
Ignorance is bliss * 1
    #14416598 - 05/07/11 09:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ignorance in the sense of lower intelligence, not meaning to say drop dead stupidity. Knowledge is irrelevant to the quote. They never mention the other part of the story, true intelligence with a high intellect is misery.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: TheCreampie] * 1
    #14416822 - 05/07/11 09:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

not true, ignorance is the cause of all suffering.  if you are trapped in the intellect, that is misery, but if you know how to leave your mind and just be...it's all good

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: g00ru]
    #14417301 - 05/07/11 11:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ignorance of our upcoming death and of all the suffering in the world around us would be pretty blissful, dude.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleCups
technically "here"
 User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: deCypher] * 2
    #14417361 - 05/07/11 11:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
What's up everybody?!

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: deCypher]
    #14417370 - 05/07/11 11:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Ignorance of our upcoming death and of all the suffering in the world around us would be pretty blissful, dude.

yeah i guess, until you died! but i don't think that's possible.  being born means knowing you're gonna die one day.  all component things must dissolve. if you somehow managed to avoid that knowledge, well you might be in an ignorant state of comfort but i couldn't imagine it would last long

--------------------
check out my music!

InvisibleCups
technically "here"
 User Gallery

#14417471 - 05/08/11 12:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

One of my favoritest Terence McKenna quotes-

Quote:

I mean it's easy to hope if you're stupid, but is there any basis for intelligent people to hope?

--------------------
What's up everybody?!

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: Cups]
    #14417560 - 05/08/11 12:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

To each his sufferings: all are men,   
Condemned alike to groan;   
The tender for another's pain,   
The unfeeling for his own.   
Yet ah! why should they know their fate?   
Since sorrow never comes too late,   
And happiness too swiftly flies.   
Thought would destroy their paradise.   
No more; where ignorance is bliss,   
'Tis folly to be wise.

--------------------

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: Cups]
    #14417566 - 05/08/11 12:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cups said:
One of my favoritest Terence McKenna quotes-

Quote:

I mean it's easy to hope if you're stupid, but is there any basis for intelligent people to hope?

yeah...visualization helps you achieve goals.

--------------------
check out my music!

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: Mufungo]
    #14417577 - 05/08/11 12:41 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

aye, to each his sufferings. Ignorant and wise alike.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #14417670 - 05/08/11 01:04 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

guruu said:
if you somehow managed to avoid that knowledge, well you might be in an ignorant state of comfort but i couldn't imagine it would last long

I couldn't imagine how anybody could possibly have the beliefs you do, yet here we are. :thirdeyeani:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: Poid]
    #14417688 - 05/08/11 01:11 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i would never have imagined i'd end up thinking like this either, i was a serious atheist, rational skeptic not 4 years ago. srsly.

--------------------
check out my music!

OfflineVsnares.Zappa
bend over

#14417692 - 05/08/11 01:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14417714 - 05/08/11 01:17 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

guruu said:
i would never have imagined i'd end up thinking like this either, i was a serious atheist, rational skeptic not 4 years ago. srsly.

So, all of a sudden, your imagination experienced a marked increase? You're about my age, aren't you? Sounds like the onset of schizophrenia (which typically occurs around the age you experienced this unexplained increase in imagination). :sadyes:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: TheCreampie]
    #14417760 - 05/08/11 01:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ignorance is bliss... true some of the time.
Ignorance is misery... true some of the time.
Ignorance has no effect on affect... true some of the time.

So, I wonder why this saying is liked and used so much.

Perhaps it is a way of putting a silver lining upon and feeling better about being unhappy when the unhappiness is associated with superior intelligence. I.e. "I'm unhappy, but at least I'm not ignorant. Yay for me!"

--------------------

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

#14417806 - 05/08/11 01:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Sounds like the onset of schizophrenia (which typically occurs around the age you experienced this unexplained increase in imagination). :sadyes:

that's actually a pretty irresponsible thing to say to somebody you've never met.  luckily for you i don't worry about schizophrenia any more :lol: you are getting warmer though as to the kind of shit i've experienced

--------------------
check out my music!

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14417826 - 05/08/11 01:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

guruu said:
Quote:

Poid said:
Sounds like the onset of schizophrenia (which typically occurs around the age you experienced this unexplained increase in imagination). :sadyes:

that's actually a pretty irresponsible thing to say to somebody you've never met.

How is that irresponsible? I'm just telling the truth, your sudden increase in imagination really does sound like the onset of schizophrenia. :crazy3:

Quote:

guruu said:
luckily for you i don't worry about schizophrenia any more :lol: you are getting warmer though as to the kind of shit i've experienced

Why do you say "any more", did you have to worry about it before? :lol:

You've experienced schizophrenic shit? Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleDisoRDeR
motional
 User Gallery

Loc: nonsensistan
    #14417854 - 05/08/11 02:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I suspect it may be a reaction to new information shattering old illusions. 

People seem to be happy when they've made some conclusions about their world and can go about their lives, doing the dance without considering the steps... the rules which they've accepted based on past experience.

Then, something happens... new data comes in which doesn't fit the mold, and one must re-work the old assumptions, or strain to hold dissonant ideas in seperate rooms. 

The old, ignorant mold is generally a 'feel-good' form as, if it weren't, we wouldn't be sorry to see it go.  Few reminisce fondly of the ignorance of heartbreak or depression.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: Poid] * 1
    #14417886 - 05/08/11 02:15 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

guruu said:
Quote:

Poid said:

that's actually a pretty irresponsible thing to say to somebody you've never met.

How is that irresponsible? I'm just telling the truth, your sudden increase in imagination really does sound like the onset of schizophrenia. :crazy3:

It's only irresponsible if Poid was actually skilled at giving diagnoses of mental illness or if his opinion on such a matter held any weight. In this case it amounts to a form of name calling in which the put down is implied by ones own negative associations of schizophrenia.

I take issue with the use of a serious mental illness in a pejorative way for the sake of picking on someone else. People with schizophrenia are stigmatised and as such discriminated against enough without people perpetuating the sentiment even in a light hearted way. In this forum I thought we assessed each argument upon its own merits or lack there of, not based on the person making the argument, don't we?

--------------------

InvisibleDisoRDeR
motional
 User Gallery

Loc: nonsensistan
Re: Ignorance is bliss [Re: DisoRDeR]
    #14417887 - 05/08/11 02:15 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Knowledge is irrelevant to the quote.

I forgot about this part. 

Knowledge can't be irrelevant, as ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge.

But I see what you're saying.  Low mental acumen correlates with a lower tendency to analyze captured data, poor pattern matching, and slower uptake of new techniques, hence less probability of making connections which might spark an evaluation of one's worldview... I think...

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14417914 - 05/08/11 02:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mufungo said:
Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

guruu said:
Quote:

Poid said:

It's only irresponsible if Poid was actually skilled at giving diagnoses of mental illness or if his opinion on such a matter held any weight. In this case it amounts to a form of name calling in which the put down is implied by ones own negative associations of schizophrenia.

Huh? Why do you assume that that was a put down? :undecided:

Schizophrenia
Quote:

The onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood...

This isn't merely my opinion, this is what studies have concluded.

Also, the symptoms he described sound like the onset of schizophrenia (he even described them as being schizo-like in nature)--my opinion on this matter holds weight because it is true. You say "if his opinion on such a matter held any weight" as if whether or not I am highly educated on such matters is relevant to whether or not what I said is true--talk about not making an argument based on the person making the argument. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Mufungo said:
I take issue with the use of a serious mental illness in a pejorative way for the sake of picking on someone else. People with schizophrenia are stigmatised and as such discriminated against enough without people perpetuating the sentiment even in a light hearted way. In this forum I thought we assessed each argument upon its own merits or lack there of, not based on the person making the argument, don't we?

Yeah, but the rules leave room for some personal banter:

A certain level of personal banter is in the grey area while getting to know your fellow posters over time...

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Edited by Poid (05/08/11 02:32 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order