Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAli
Evil Retard

Loc: Zeta Reticuli
My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!!
    #1438246 - 04/08/03 02:10 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Look at what I found today too. If anyone could ID these it would be very cool. These are the first pics I took with my new camera  :grin: So they might not be the greatest. Bear with me Please.

I found this BIG BOY underneath a lot of pine needles in Northern California. It was about 50* out. I just walked by it and was like WOW! At first I thought it was a puff ball then I moved the pine needles and it was soooo big. It measures up to....Stem-9cms long and 3.5 cms wide, cap-10cms wide. Gills completely adnate, and very close. It was just so cool I couldn't leave it.

I found these in the same general area. They were growing under an Almond tree. I thought they were morels. But they are darker then the last guy that posted Morels so I am not sure but they look just like em. They are so cool. Actually my 8 year old found 'em. He was pretty jazzed.

This sporeprint I took it looks kinda blackish with a purple tint.

I found these also in same general area. They were growing clustered on an oak tree stump. They were beautiful (too me) peeking out at me under some leaves and pne needles in the crack of the stump and bark. The stems are 6-7cm's long and .5 cms wide, and the cap is about 3 cms wide, gills are adnate and subclose. It actually bruises a kind of brown color. The stem has a little mycellium at the base.

I was so excited to get my camera, I HAD to put these pics up. Thanks In Advance to anyone who attempts to ID.

--------------------
I got mail. I got mail. I got mail. I got mail. I got mail. YAYYYYYYY!! Now you go!!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!! [Re: Ali]
    #1438276 - 04/08/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

well the first one might be an amanita. the second one definately looks like a morel and if its not then its a false morel gumby could help you here more than i could. which mushroom was the spore print from?? if it was from the last batch of mushrooms then they certainly seem like they are in the psilocybe genus. were they growing from the stump or in the humus that collected in the crack? but non active most likely since it didnt bruise blue. anyways you seem to have a little sense so please dont eat any of those mushrooms. the first has white gills and alot of the white gills are deadly the false morels are carcinogins along with possibly poisonous, and the last ones aren't identified. so great find tho and keep working with the cam try to get clearer pics of the morel looking ones. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Edited by blaze2 (04/08/03 02:43 AM)

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
    #1438279 - 04/08/03 02:43 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

That first one is a poisonous amanita! A. Pantherina, at a stab. "White Death" or some equally sinister sounding nickname, if I remember correctly. Don't lick your fingers. :wink:

The last ones look active, but I guess they're not if they don't bruise blue.

Fucked if I know, wait till someone that knows what they're talking about replies. :wink:

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (04/08/03 02:47 AM)

OfflineAli
Evil Retard

Re: My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!! [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1438364 - 04/08/03 04:17 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I was definently NOT even thinking about eating that bad boy. No way he just looked at me scary!!  :shocked:  But I was ok..lol. The sporeprint is of the bottom ones. It was grwoing in a crack of the oak tree between the bark and the tree stump. thanks...

--------------------
I got mail. I got mail. I got mail. I got mail. I got mail. YAYYYYYYY!! Now you go!!!!!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1438705 - 04/08/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The first one closely resembles Amanita ocreata, also known as a Destroying Angel. As the link indicates, there are some lookalike species which are fairly difficult to tell apart. A. ocreata is deadly poison, but it sounds like you know better than to eat it.

The second ones look like morels, but the focus is just enough off that I can't really tell. Morels have characteristic pits in the cap. False morels (this is just one kind) are instead deeply wrinkled and folded. Don't rely on the colors at all - both kinds can vary greatly and over the same color ranges. The False Morel I have pictured has caused fatalities, so if the difference isn't obvious to you then you shouldn't eat them without having somebody verify your ID. A sharper photograph would allow us to do that.

Since you say that the third mushrooms were growing directly from an oak stump, that suggests Hypholoma capnoides. Since the photo at Mykoweb doesn't look particularly like your specimens, here's another link where they do. This mushroom is edible, but mediocre, and it has a poisonous lookalike also. The first link gives some information on it.

Nice finds. Photos OK, but you need to work on your focus (you knew that). What kind of camera is it? Some of the people out here are really good at the photography, so let us know and they might be able to help you get better at it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineAli
Evil Retard

Re: My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1439389 - 04/08/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks Toxic...The camera is a Samsung Digimax 101. Yeah those were the first pics I ever took with it. I took some of someones jars today I hope they have a come out better. I will gladly accept any photography tips from anyone. I've wanted a digicam forever, had a cheapy from earthlink and it was ok but it isn't xp compatable. This was the coolest and best surprise. Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineEarth Shaman
Earth Lover

#1439943 - 04/08/03 04:13 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Good IDs so far. First one definitely Amanita (vulva and ring, ding ding!). ToxicMan; very clever with the Hypholoma ID. I couldn't quite tell myself. As for the maybe-morels, it's very easy. Is everything on the mushroom hollow (cap and stem)? If so, you've got morels. The photo shows a cap continuous with the stipe (stem), so that shoots down M. semilibera and the Verpa species. And the Gyromitra will have some solid part, so as long as they're hollow, they're good! Morels were the first mushroom I learned to hunt. Best of luck to ya!

--------------------
Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

"Whatever you take from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Native American Proverb

Edited by Earth Shaman (04/08/03 04:15 PM)

OfflineJmann
Stranger

Loc: the pill popping capital ...
Re: My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!! [Re: Earth Shaman]
    #1440052 - 04/08/03 04:56 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I am 90% positive the 1st one is the Destroying Angel (Amanita ocreata), but I could be wrong but it defenetly is an Amanita.
the 2nd one is some kind of morel.
I'm prety sure the last ones are active.

--------------------
Halcium and morphine,
5-methoxy-n, n-dimethyltryptamine,
Psilocybin, mescaline, aspirin, histomine,
Brushite, darvaset, valium, caffeine, cannabis, and LSD,
Ayahuasca, harmine give it all to me I want it

OfflineAli
Evil Retard

Re: My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!! [Re: Jmann]
    #1440383 - 04/08/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Toxic--the link you had given me for the Hypholoma capnoides..mine were way browner not as yellowish. So I am still clueless. We thought the amanita was an amanita..weren't too sre which one though. It was so cool and so big I just wanted to look at it. :smile: 
The morels are completely hollow too. Yippee!

--------------------

Edited by Ali (04/08/03 06:45 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1440889 - 04/08/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You're right - the photo isn't quite the same color - I mentioned that (or thought I did). If you read the description in the text, it says, "yellow to tawny to orange brown to cinnamon brown fading towards the margin." The specimens in their photo are way towards the yellow end. Yours are closer to the orange brown to cinnamon brown end. Most of them I find resemble yours more than their photo does. Th other link is closer in appearance. Here are a few more links to give you some which resemble yours more:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

With this species the cap color is fairly variable. If you search around the net for photos of it you will see quite a range of colors. Also try checking the links on the pages I linked to to see more photos.

Here's a list of characters which identify the species fairly well:

1. Cap 2-4 inches wide; orange to red at center, yellow to orange or red at edge, but not yellow or greenish yellow overall, surface smooth, moist.
2. Gills closely spaced, attached to stalk; whitish to pale yellow to grayish, finally purplish brown in age.
3. Gills of young specimens covered by cobwebby (fibrous) partial veil.
4. Gills of young specimens not yellowish green or greenish yellow.
5. Stalk whitish or pale yellow to brownish, not bright yellow; slight ring of fibers on upper stalk.
6. Found clustered on wood (not pine in this case).
7. Cap flesh mild tasting, not bitter (taste a tiny bit and spit it out).
8. Spore print purplish brown.

If they match that list, then that's what they are. If not, then they are something else. Let us know.

Hope that's helpful.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1453730 - 04/12/03 09:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

>I will gladly accept any photography tips from anyone. I've wanted a digicam forever, had a cheapy from earthlink and it was ok but it isn't xp compatable. This was the coolest and best surprise. Thanks

I'll give you a few tips. :smile:
If it's a real camera, not a webcam, read in the manual about how to use the macro features of the camera. Macro photography lets you get closer to your subject with better focus. If your camera has manual focus capablities on it, I'd say by all means, go that route for close up pics.

And my last tip: Lighting is EVERYTHING. In most cases, the more light the better. Most camera's have shutters that are fast enough for higher light situations. I'd say the number one problem with pictures of mushrooms I see here is under exposure... More light will help to fix that problem.

Play around with the camera when you get the chance, it takes getting used to. I got my camera in December and still haven't gotten the hang of it 100%.

Have fun and be sure to take some more pics for us :smile: 

OfflineNorseSuncrose
Student ofExsistance
Loc: NorCal
Re: My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!! [Re: Gumby]
    #1453918 - 04/12/03 11:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think I picked the same kind of shrooms today, the first one. Large white cap, pinkish veil, thick stem, I found it just sitting in some dark soil. I'll start a thread to give it an ID for sure once I get the spore print finished. Too bad it's probably poison, I found a few ounces of them!

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: My Daddy Bought me a Camera!!! [Re: NorseSuncrose]
    #1455389 - 04/13/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

you guys are gettin me stoked to go out and find mushrooms. I'm headin out for the first time this spring right now..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures