Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAdreamer323
journeyman
the whole drying thing...
    #1439669 - 04/08/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I see people over and over saying they dry as much as they can via a fan and then finish them off to cracker dry in a container with dessicant. Does this not defeat the purpose of the dessicant method altogether which is to eliminate drying by air thus eliminating the oxidation factor?? Are their people out there that can say for certain that the end potency with air drying to sole use of dessicant method or a mixture of the two...differs greatly, slighty, or at all???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: Adreamer323]
    #1439711 - 04/08/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

There is no difference in potency that I have noticed. If you don't fan dry first you will probably end up with rotten shrooms.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: z@z.com]
    #1439843 - 04/08/03 03:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I've been leaving my dudes on the fan for like 2 days or so until they crack when I bend them, like a dry stick or cracker as some people say. Cracker dry.

Haven't used a dessicant chamber because WalMart quit carrying damp rid and I found the fan to work fine for me as long as I let them dry all the way. It takes a little time like I said about 2 days.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: NariusFractal]
    #1439848 - 04/08/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

What is the best way to dry your shrooms with a fan? How do you set it up?

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: SlapnutRob]
    #1439912 - 04/08/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I put mine on a piece of cardboard and point a fan at them. Works great.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: z@z.com]
    #1439917 - 04/08/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

My friend has a grill on the fan and he points the fan into the air and sets the shrooms on the grill and lets them go.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

InvisiblePennywise
Watch out now!
Male
Loc: Maryland
    #1440101 - 04/08/03 05:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I have never air dried. And have NEVER had ROTTEN boomers. What are you trying to say??? That if I dry them one way, they will rot? How will drying them faster affect the overall shroom?

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: Pennywise]
    #1440124 - 04/08/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

If you place them in a dessicant container with the lid on after you harvest it...the dessicant will not be able to "take in" the water content fast enough, therefore leading to rot. By fanning them for about a day and then placing them in the dessicant container, you avoid this problem. Drying them faster will not affect the overall shroom potency. Avoid heat sources because this does degrade their chemical make up.

OfflineHafrican
Mega-ultrachicken

Loc: SW Azerbaijan
    #1440133 - 04/08/03 05:24 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

A quick, easy fan drying chamber:

1. Get a plastic bin/container. Something small -- let's say 12" x 14" x 10" high.

2. Hardware cloth or chicken wire. Cut this with tin snips or a wire cutter. Make 3-4 pieces that will fit inside the container. Curl the edges of the metal wire so they can stack.

3. Replacement window screen. Tape/tie this over the other metal wire mesh.

4. A small fan. SWIM has a Honeywell that is maybe 9" in diameter.

So, you stack the mush on the screens on top of each other. Straddle the fan on top, and turn on high. Maybe put some holes in the bottom sides of the container to allow some influent/effluent action and get some true airflow. Like 15-20 duckets in components ....

InvisiblePennywise
Watch out now!
Male
Loc: Maryland
Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: Zwieback0]
    #1440154 - 04/08/03 05:28 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

the dessicant will not be able to "take in" the water content fast enough, therefore leading to rot. By fanning them for about a day and then placing them in the dessicant container, you avoid this problem.

I have had rock hard candies in less than a day with dessicant only. I don't see how them not taking in water fast enough will cause them to rot, because it seems like that is fast enough. It would have to be a few days I would assume and it never takes this long. Please correct me if I am wrong.

OfflineUber
Wash ufungi,drive me tofruitenzi

Loc: DRC
    #1440241 - 04/08/03 06:01 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think people are forgetting to mention the most important variable in this equation: the size of the shrooms! Seems to me that rotting would be much more of a factor with the big ol' fat ones; whereas the smaller, thin guys can get away with dessicant only.

Being a big believer in conventional wisdom my FOAF uses the fan for 24h then into the dessicator chamber they go.

Another point worth mentioning: Fanning your mushrooms first should increase the life of your dessicant, meaning less trips to the oven to revitalize it.

Uber

--------------------
"The old adage that ignorance of the law is no excuse becomes a ludicrous
statement when the laws themselves are rooted in ignorance"

- Adam Gottlieb

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1440254 - 04/08/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The easiest way!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1440276 - 04/08/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Oxidization is more of a concern when you've actually broken the mushroom's skin, or damaged the mushroom while handling.

If you are harvesting a lot of large cubes at a time, sending them straight to the dessicant chamber will probably cause rot.  This all depends on your mushroom load though.  A small group of cubes may be fine when immediatley placed in the dessicant chamber.  See what works for you  :grin:

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflineAdreamer323
journeyman
Re: the whole drying thing... [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1441349 - 04/08/03 11:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Does a dehydrator like that really work well with drying completely??

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1441872 - 04/09/03 03:45 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i'm sure it would...
DEhydrator

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1443707 - 04/09/03 04:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Does a dehydrator like that really work well with drying completely??

works very well....I use 2 of these....for gormet mushrooms...

Excalibur 9 tray...the excalibur line is the best on the market....ne need to buy anything extra but they will cost you.....

Prisoner#1

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag