Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
On Ethics and Transplants
    #14384057 - 05/01/11 05:58 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There is a movement among health care professionals to require all transplant recipients to have themselves been registered donors before they got sick or they would be ineligible to receive a transplant.

I tend to agree, but on the other hand, who an organ is best matched to is independent of their donor status. Under the above policy, a poorly-matched donor at high risk of rejecting the organ may get priority over a non-donor who is an excellent match.

What do you think?

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: On Ethics and Transplants [Re: Diploid]
    #14384249 - 05/01/11 06:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I can't imagine that anybody would have the cojones to ask for a donation and not be willing to give one in case of death.  And if they aren't, fuck them.

--------------------

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
    #14384321 - 05/01/11 06:59 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I guess that does make sense, but at the same time how could you refuse a person an organ if you have it available and it could save their life? Maybe being an organ donor should just be mandatory, especially in the case where your death could save somebody's life like in that movie John Q. What are the valid reasons for not being an organ donor anyways?

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: On Ethics and Transplants [Re: zappaisgod]
    #14384454 - 05/01/11 07:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I can't imagine that anybody would have the cojones to ask for a donation and not be willing to give one in case of death.

As I understand it, MOST people awaiting transplants were not themselves registered donors when they got sick. That's why they're waiting. There aren't enough organs available by a long shot because people don't register.

It's why I tend to agree. If your driver's license doesn't already say you're a donor the day you got sick, then you're on your own.

but at the same time how could you refuse a person an organ if you have it available and it could save their life?

You give it to someone else (who was a donor) who's waiting for an organ even if they are not as well-matched and there's a high risk of rejection.

The selfish guy who never registered to donate his can die for all I care, even if he's a better medical match for the organ.

Maybe being an organ donor should just be mandatory

That will never fly. Not to beat a dead horse, but it won't fly PRECIOUSLY because people have unshakable faith that god doesn't want them to donate their organs, and other similar stupid reasons.

What are the valid reasons for not being an organ donor anyways?

Unshakable faith.

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
    #14384478 - 05/01/11 07:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, pre rational superstition for the loss

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Offlineunsui888
Embodied
I'm a teapot

Loc: United States
Re: On Ethics and Transplants [Re: g00ru]
    #14386143 - 05/01/11 11:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i want to say that regardless of one's status, such as being an organ donor, when a person has the potential to die and there lies the possibility of being saved from death, then as a healthcare professional one is obliged to give them the transplant they need, since all human beings have a right to life.

--------------------
"a note for asses: what is very convincing, is not necessarily true - it is merely convincing"

primus------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------mama didn't raise no fool

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: On Ethics and Transplants [Re: zappaisgod]
    #14386897 - 05/02/11 05:14 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I would have a problem with the requirement being a state-ID-based process.  If someone doesn't want to dick around with the state and their bullshit they should not be penalized by such.

I'm fine in principle with this, but would find the driver's license registration thing to be a pretty arbitrary requirement.  A better requirement would be that those who can demonstrate intent to donate or actual donation in the past would get on the list ahead of others.  This could be through a notarized slip kept in a wallet/safe/wherever; discussion with family members: and so forth.

I have a bit of a problem with this tieing in with the state when the state often has very little to do with transplant status- I'd rather put as man barriers between the path from where the US is now to where the PRC is, with organ thefts and other crap by the state.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I can't imagine that anybody would have the cojones to ask for a donation and not be willing to give one in case of death.  And if they aren't, fuck them.

You'd be surprised then.

Working in medicine is fascinating, and no small part of it is in the discovery of backwards assholes that you'd never normally come in contact with.  A signifigant problem with your incredulity is that the patient isn't asking for anything in most cases, given how paternalistic medicine is in the US, and hence this kind of situation wouldn't occure that often.

Additionally, the recipients who know about their status ahead of the time when they need the transplant are not going to be donor candidates for most things anyways, so the point is moot.

There are indeed a great many people who don't want to be donors, including those who believe the doctor won't "try as hard" if they know they are a donor or they have a need for their organs (which is a silly situation as a transplant doctor is not going to be the doctor treating you at end of life and if they are, then your not eligible to be a donor anyways).

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: On Ethics and Transplants [Re: johnm214]
    #14387760 - 05/02/11 10:21 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm fine in principle with this, but would find the driver's license registration thing to be a pretty arbitrary requirement.

Well, I meant it generically though I wasn't clear about that. Clearly you can be an organ donor without a driver license. I mentioned driver license because (where I live) it's easy to check off the Donor box when you renew and it's done.

My contention is that you should be a donor (through your driver license or some other way) when you got sick, or you're on your own, even if you're the best match for an available organ over a poorly matched donor.

Not only is this just, IMO, it will encourage people to become donors because they'll know they'll be fucked if they ever need a kidney.

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #14387896 - 05/02/11 10:46 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

How can I be certain I am getting a 'white' kidney?

:archiebunker:

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: On Ethics and Transplants [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14388059 - 05/02/11 11:26 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You have to pay extra for white meat. Just like at KFC. :chicken:

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #14388071 - 05/02/11 11:28 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hope it comes with a spicy dipping sauce. :yesnod:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate