Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechiefradis14
Stranger
Male User Gallery

growing outside
    #14387595 - 05/02/11 11:34 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

so we have recently had to cut down a tree in my backyard, and me and my roommates all said lets grow mushrooms there. so were planning on how to do it so far our best idea is vermiculite brown rice flour hay and horse poo then cover it with the top of a grill so not much light gets it. what are your thoughts and ideas about this method?

*UPDATE*
ITS WORKING!!! the white fuzz is growing in cones around and in the soil!! pictures will be up soon

Edited by chiefradis14 (05/08/11 05:57 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerustycobwebs
Green mold cultivator

Re: growing outside [Re: chiefradis14]
    #14388382 - 05/02/11 02:37 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Man my idea is for you to start your spawn indoors. Rye grain is my prefered spawn, but if you're going outdoors you might want to make more for less and grab some wild bird seed.

So you get that all colonized up, and toss it outside. throw it in with some bulk substrate, skip the brown rice flower for outdoor applications unless it's been colonized already, as it contaminates easily.

Verm, Hay, horse poo, and i would suggest adding some coir but that's just me. Give it a nice mix. Throw some worm castings in there and let it go.

For best results ur going to want to pasturize those above ingredients, i think. You could just throw them on but may not be good results.

The light won't bother them.

After you do all that cover it in a layer of i don't know, grass clipppings or something. If really concerned about getting the humidity up in that spot u could use wax paper.

Finally, i have to add, from my experience outdoor mushrooms grow best in the shade, not out in the sun baking like that. But its worth a shot.

--------------------
and let it be so Praise Psilocybe

Offlinechiefradis14
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: growing outside [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #14388403 - 05/02/11 02:42 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

thanks man were putting a table and chairs out to help cover it and how would you pasturize the following without a pc?

Offlinerustycobwebs
Green mold cultivator

Re: growing outside [Re: chiefradis14]
    #14388499 - 05/02/11 03:02 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Ok well u dont use a PC to pasturize anyway.

Load it into bags and i believe put it in boiling water till it reaches 170 degrees for an hour. But I'm not an expert. When i Pasturize i only use coir and vermiculite and put a brick of coir into a 5 gallon bucket with a quart of verm and pour a gallon of boiling water into that.

With ur method ur gonna want to bring the mixture to be pasturized to field capacity before pasturization, which means the right ammount of water.

If you dont have a PC, I'm not sure how you're going to do the grains really. You may just want to use PF cakes as your spawn which is a viable option and will still work, albiet slower and less cleanly as you have to break the cakes up, but since they will be 100% colonized shouldnt be a big deal.

Also, a layer of straw or grass clippings should be enough to shade it out from the heat of the sun, but that table won't hurt a bit.

--------------------
and let it be so Praise Psilocybe

Offlinechiefradis14
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: growing outside [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #14388509 - 05/02/11 03:05 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

should i then leave the grill cover on with the table or remove it?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation