Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Perlite, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

Salvia patch beginning to flower
    #14380517 - 05/01/11 02:18 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

Im pretty excited. My salvias have been flourishing ever since I stopped trying to baby them and grow them indoors and moved them outdoors. And now for the first time they are beginning to flower!!!

Ive never seen Sallie flowers before so Im totally stoked to see how they develop.

This whole patch has grown from one cutting.

--------------------
Useful bulk substrate calculator

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Salvia patch beginning to flower [Re: psyke101]
    #14380549 - 05/01/11 02:24 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

That's awesome! Wha hardiness zone are you in? They look great!

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

Re: Salvia patch beginning to flower [Re: fngbronco]
    #14380627 - 05/01/11 02:42 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

The climate here is considered 'temparate'. Sallies really seem to like the climate here. It can get a touch too hot in summer, but as long as they are nicely shaded and the water is kept up to them they thrive.

Do you have any luck growing them where you are??

--------------------

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#14380764 - 05/01/11 03:06 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

I'm in zone 5b I believe so it would get too cold come fall and winter. I've recently acquired a cutting that I'm working at trying to please lol. Thankfully she was already large because the size has helped. Right now I can't figure out if it's the humidity (which doesn't exist here) or the soil is still too wet. Haven't put water on it for a few days, but gave it a spray today. My soil is probably 60% perlite and cactus mix and some seed starting mix. The leaves have some black spots, a little browning at the very tips and are yellowish green. Sun comes in from a west window but not directly on the plant. (sorry for the diversion)

That'd be awesome if it decided to seed! How many different plants are flowering?

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

#14380839 - 05/01/11 03:23 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

Ok I just looked up hardiness zones on wikipedia, we dont really use that system here in Australia, as least i havent heard of it. But I noticed that Sydney apparently has an environment that would fit into a 3a - 4b range. Which means my location would be broadly similar. (A lot of approximates there :P)

It sounds like your soil mix would be ok. As long as it drains well and it is not just sitting there soaking wet and never draining or drying out.

You mentioned that your cutting is not getting any direct sunlight. That could be a problem. I found that my sallies really took off once thay started to get 'patchy light'. What I mean by that is they get a mix of direct light and shade. So for a couple hours they get direct sunlight on their leaves. Then for the rest of the day they get half shade and half light. When my plants were inside they never got direct light, only the diffuse light coming from the nearby window... and they looked like the way you describes urs... pale green, brown patches, curling tips... I think the best thing you can do is relocate your plant outside, let it get some good direct sunlight. Or if thats not possible, u need to position it where it will get direct light.

Quote:

That'd be awesome if it decided to seed! How many different plants are flowering?

Imagine if it got seeds :shocked:... i think there are rare reports of people actually getting viable seed, I dunno if they're legitimate or just bs... I think there are 3 plants with flower racemes :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#14380899 - 05/01/11 03:39 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

I wonder if they need to cross pollinate, or even more rare, cross with another specie like bing cherries. I've been to Sydney, and you're a bit more humid than we are. Summer we are at 25% somedays and 100+ degrees. Idaho is definitely diverse, I just live in the high desert portion. I'll move her out for a few hours a day once the temp is over 50* F. Thanks for the advice and please keep us updated with the flowers :smile: I'm excited for ya!

--------------------

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

#14380918 - 05/01/11 03:45 AM (10 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
...Thanks for the advice and please keep us updated with the flowers :smile: I'm excited for ya!

Thanks bro. Ill definitely keep the pics coming. Good luck with your Sallie. Stick some pics up when you have time, so we can watch how she's going. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

Loc: Wonderland
    #14381036 - 05/01/11 04:21 AM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

psyke101 said:
..I noticed that Sydney apparently has an environment that would fit into a 3a - 4b range....

Ozzy has a different hardiness zones rating system than what most western countries use (the USDA rating system). That 3a - 4b, would be more like ~9b - ~11a in the rest of the world. Sallies in a climate anywhere even close to USDA 4b would be all kinds of fucked up before winter was even thinking of rolling round, just a warning.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/research/hort.research/zones.html

Cool pics by the way man, nice.

:rainbowcloud:

--------------------
This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

Re: Salvia patch beginning to flower [Re: scruffymafia]
    #14381194 - 05/01/11 05:30 AM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Ozzy has a different hardiness zones rating system than what most western countries use (the USDA rating system). That 3a - 4b, would be more like ~9b - ~11a in the rest of the world. Sallies in a climate anywhere even close to USDA 4b would be all kinds of fucked up before winter was even thinking of rolling round, just a warning.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/gardens/research/hort.research/zones.html

Cool pics by the way man, nice.

:rainbowcloud:

Yeah according to that graphic you linked to my locatlity is USA 9-10.

We get mild winters and up to 40 deg Celcius Summers. Much shade and regular watering is the key :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #14381295 - 05/01/11 06:38 AM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Cool blooms you have there.:super:

--------------------

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Salvia patch beginning to flower [Re: karode13]
    #14381478 - 05/01/11 08:41 AM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks scruffy! I figured it wasn't the same, but what would anyone recommend for some outside time for the plant?

--------------------

Pill Divider Agar Tek

OfflineJ.T
Condensed to a singularity
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
    #14381500 - 05/01/11 08:52 AM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Awesome pictures my man! :thumbup: :smile:

...now to get mine to flower........  :strokebeard:

Offlineturtle_hermit
Psychedelic Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvia patch beginning to flower [Re: J.T]
    #14385250 - 05/01/11 11:31 PM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Definitely some nice lookin plants, psyke.

Here's some good info on Salvia and flowers. Best of luck to ye.

http://members.cox.net/sageseeds/

Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

#14491366 - 05/21/11 10:45 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Here's an update on my flowering Sallies.

I think I need to try and hand pollinate these soon.

Their flowering seems to be really staggered, they're not all coming on at the same time. One or two flowers have been developing for a fortnight, while others are just beginning to bud.

--------------------

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#14491532 - 05/21/11 11:32 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Use q-tips and you can keep some pollen for the other flowers as they bloom.

--------------------

Pill Divider Agar Tek

InvisibleeLShaMukO
from couch potato to sex tornado
Male User Gallery

Loc: far away
    #14491894 - 05/22/11 12:56 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

awesome salvia grow :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Salvia patch beginning to flower [Re: eLShaMukO]
    #14492867 - 05/22/11 08:38 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome grow man, can't wait for mine to get that big & produce more flowers.

--------------------

Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

#14496543 - 05/23/11 12:14 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
Use q-tips and you can keep some pollen for the other flowers as they bloom.

Ok good tip, thanks. I guess just store the q-tips (we call 'em cotton buds) in a bag in the freezer.

Quote:

eLShaMukO  said:
awesome salvia grow :thumbup:

Cheers!

Quote:

NGX285  said:
Awesome grow man, can't wait for mine to get that big & produce more flowers.

Thanks man, yeah I got more leaf than I know what to do with. Gotta figure out a good way to dose. Quidding is nasty lol, and Im not a big smoker. Im eye-balling some extraction methods at the mo :wink:

--------------------

Edited by psyke101 (05/23/11 01:05 AM)

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

#14496702 - 05/23/11 12:44 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't store them in the freezer, a fridge may even damage them cuz the cold. A cellar or similar may work best. I've done the acetone extraction and made some 10 and 20x and it worked great, a half a hit fractalized my world!!!

--------------------

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Invisiblepsyke101
Test Subject

#14496778 - 05/23/11 01:03 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fngbronco said:
I wouldn't store them in the freezer, a fridge may even damage them cuz the cold. A cellar or similar may work best.

Really? I actually thought storying pollen in the freezer was the best way to keep pollen viable for long periods. I think its what they do in agricultural science. Have to have look on the web and check.

Quote:

fngbronco said:
I've done the acetone extraction and made some 10 and 20x and it worked great, a half a hit fractalized my world!!!

Hehehe, i dont want to have to smoke anything, I was thinking about trying an extraction that would result in some kind of powder I could dab at :smile: The Tek I was reading is over at DMT Nexus which I think is down again, so I cant provide a link.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Perlite, Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden