Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTonearm
Stranger
Tripping and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
    #1437249 - 04/07/03 08:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I tripped yesterday and today it feels much easier to let go of things that come up during the day. The types of things that usually proceed to take over my mind. Does anyone else notice the same thing?

--------------------
My Favorite Link:
http://www.deoxy.org/8brains.htm

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleenacid
solid funk
Re: Tripping and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder [Re: Tonearm]
    #1437651 - 04/07/03 11:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

thats what tripping for me is all about, when you realize how relative your perception really is and you see how it can get so fucked so easy, the only way to see out of it in a positive way is letting go of everything

thats why i think everyone need a good trip, everyone would benefit from it, because people wouldnt be so uptight about stupid things

Offlinegila47
The Duke ofEdsel
Loc: JUST SLIGHTLY OFF CENTER
Re: Tripping and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder [Re: enacid]
    #1437855 - 04/08/03 12:48 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The University of Arizona under the direction of MAPS, is doing a controlled study using Psilocybin to test out this theory....so you are definately on to something
my pet hula moster says that after she tripped on "shrooms" she felt less obsessive about everything in life, letting go was much easier.
She said that shroom's made it easier to be Buddist, and to avoid attachment to outcomes in life, which is the source of great pain and suffering..
If you are interested in participating in this study do a search for MAPS, psilocybin and OCD....I forget how I found it...My hula monster applied, but wasn't accepted :confused: :mad: :smirk: 

--------------------
If the dawn is breaking, then who will fix it?

Offlineicewall
journeyman
Re: Tripping and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder [Re: gila47]
    #1438737 - 04/08/03 11:10 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i think i can say something important to this topic:

i used to be EXTREMELY depressed and tried to kill myself twice with the means of Oding.... obviously didnt work.

1 day me and 2 friends decided we would jump on the oportunity of shrooms since someone offered. so I took an eigth had the experience of my life.

what does this have to do with anything?

well i never was even a 1/4 as depressed EVER again (1 year later) and i also was manic - depressive... CURED! now it still lingers behind my mind but it will NEVER come back again. it sort of sets your mind straight and relieves ur mind.

the problem is if someone deep down has a mental illness that is not really showing then it will bring that out.

o it also stopped my nervous habbits and because of entheogens in general it made me think, and now (3 years later) i wont smoke pot, drink or anything.... just shroom maybe twice a year.

i respect the mushroom for its power, it has shown me a lot, even though i had it in my head the whole time. people who hate the way the world works and all its sheepismic ways, will love the insite it gives them. SIMPLY AMAZING and powerful. i cant seem to put it any other way.

OfflineTonearm
Stranger
Re: Tripping and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder [Re: icewall]
    #1439016 - 04/08/03 01:12 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome! Ok, I'm stoked. This is just the kind of discussion I'd hoped we'd get going. Now don't you think it isn't the psilocybin that "cures" you (or whatever) but the experience you have because of it? In other words, if you only took enough to have a low level trip or not much of a trip at all, it wouldn't really do anything for your mental condition. It seems to me that your mind actually does the work of working all the problems out or whatever. It's not like a medication that just wipes it away. You know what I mean?

I practiced Zen Buddhist meditation for about 9 months. When I ate shrooms before that it would definitely make me feel "better", and it "cleared things up". Since my time with meditation, I feel like I'm able to watch what's going on inside myself much more clearly (I'm sure you know what I mean gila47), and I see the changes that come over me in response to eating shrooms much more clearly. It's a very good thing. I really feel like getting back into mediation again.

Also, do other psychedelics have this same effect as shrooms? LSD, DMT, mescaline?

--------------------
My Favorite Link:
http://www.deoxy.org/8brains.htm

Offlineshad0want
Homo periergus
Re: Tripping and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder [Re: Tonearm]
    #1439190 - 04/08/03 02:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

woot!  good discussion!  The geek in me is happy (and yay for gila47 and icewall :smile: )

As far as the question of whether it is the psilocybin or the experience that "cures"  I guess the only answer would have to be "both."  In the end it is kind of a "misleading" question insofar that it adheres to to certain conceptual/epistemological dichotomies that are, if not outright 'false' then certainly not 100% correct either.  These are "nature vs. culture," "mind vs. body," and "logic vs. emotion" (and if nothing else, my one -so far!- expreience with mushrooms  Gonna wave my biocultural banner here :grin:
Chemical affects your brain and alters how you think--maybe there is some effect of psilocybin on brain chemistry that does not get picked up in conscious experience, but there certainly is plenty of effect that *makes* you alter your thinking patterns. 
First, there is good evidence to suggest that, regardless of the problem, both cognitive and biochemical factors are involved and the most successful therapies are the ones that address both levels of the process.  But if you think about it (and here comes the major biocultural geekery) thought and behavioral patterns (what we think of as the e.g. 'culture' and 'mind' poles) *can* actually lead to biochem changes, and NOT just the other way around. (much the same process of interactions which explains why my right boob is larger than my left --i am right-handed, and have plenty to do with my hands, as 'culture,' having co-evolved with 'nature' dictates, etc). 

--------------------
What? Surely, you did not take me seriously?!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience