Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Trumpet Royale???
    #1437007 - 04/07/03 07:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone know about the trumpet royale mushroom? I have just recently cloned one, and it was very good, but really - it looked and tasted a lot like P. Eryngii (king oyster), could anyone verify this?

Just curious to the taxanomic name of this.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Trumpet Royale??? [Re: Raadt]
    #1437352 - 04/07/03 09:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Chroogomphus and chantrelles are the only trumpet edibles I know off hand.These both I think are mycorhyzoidal and will not fruit indoors or unless associated with the roots of a tree.Could you describe the gills and stalk,color etc?
Sounds cool keep us up to date:)WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
    #1437563 - 04/07/03 11:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

They're calling P. eryngii King trumpet which is pretty close to Trumpet royale at this site gourmet mushrooms . I saw trumpet royale mushrooms for sale, but didn't buy any. They looked like an oyster mushroom of some kind to me. I can't verify it, but your probably right. Thanks for the answer, it was about 6 weeks ago I saw them and had forgotten. What did you use as your substrate?

--------------------
Keep growing.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Trumpet Royale??? [Re: falcon]
    #1439086 - 04/08/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't begun growing them, i've just put the clones to agar, they haven't even taken yet - we'll see...

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineH2O2
Stranger
    #3177461 - 09/25/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like thias thread is a couple of years old but I will respond anyway! I have some of these mysterious Trumpet Royale mushrooms ready to fruit but like some of the above posters I have no idea what these actually are. They do kinda look like the King Oyster but not as clsutered it seems. They do taste like them though. I have substrate that is ready to fruit and I believe that they are starting to do so but I am not sure whether they fruit vertically or what. The substrate is sawdust and paper fiber pellets and the substrate is in a plastic bag, in a plant pot, and currently it is on its side (I am assuming that this is a vertically fruiting species).

Should I pull the bag out of the pot and poke holes in it to make it fruit out the holes in the bag?

I have been spraying the surface of the subatrate with water daily and leaving the bag hanging over it as a moisture barrier but its quite dry and somewhat warm here.

These trumpet royales were originally store bought along with a meddle of other seemingly vertically fruiting species which is why i think they are vertical as well. Other species of oyster mushroom failed to take to the sawdust spawn which makes me think that the sawdust I am using is fir or some other soft wood, and also that the trupet royale is not an oyster mushroom otherwise it would not like fir pellets.....although I am having some success with shitakes in soft wood sawdust spawn.

BTW I am new to this site, adn this will be my first ever fruiting of any variety....Yay!

Any ideas out there as to any of this?

Oh I am also using the Hydrogen Peroxide method for this stuff. I highly recommend it for beginners who do not possess clean rooms and do not want to make glove boxes and get laminar flow hoods and all that spendy stuff.

OfflineH2O2
Stranger
Re: Trumpet Royale??? [Re: H2O2]
    #3181574 - 09/26/04 03:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ok I answered my own question by reading the other posts more closely. Duh. Its the King Oyster after all. And I believe it fruits vertically, judging from the picture at that gourmet mushroom site, so I will just see if they grow straight up out of it. I doubt anyone is reading this post anyway...

Cheers,

H2O2

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3181990 - 09/26/04 07:26 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

No, we are reading the post, but at least I have never heard of Trumpet Royale and I guess that the name is made for an advertisement and is in fact a normal P. eryngii.
If it is P. eryngii: I think that it does not mater very much if you grow it horizontally or vertically. I have seen a lot pictures where they grow horizontally in bottle cultures.

Edited by ragadinks (09/26/04 07:48 AM)

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3181999 - 09/26/04 07:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Have only grown  P. eryngii once and I know that they liked a lot of moisture.
The blocks that I have buried in the soil in our garden did best - were very tasty :tongue:.
I am no expert in growing P. eryngii and can only answer your questions from my limited knowledge - so I am not sure if the answers are professional enough for you.
Guess you have to experiment a bit yourself.

> Should I pull the bag out of the pot and poke holes in it to make it fruit out the holes in the bag?
I would make only one opening on the top of the bag and let them fruit out there.
When you search for P.eryngii on www.mushworld.com you will get a lot of pictures of fruiting P. eryngii.
Also have a look at their handbook - it is about growing all sorts of oysters.
Here is the link: http://www.mushworld.com:1508/service/handbook.asp?cata_id=9050
Make sure that they get a lot of humidity, enough light and fresh air and I am sure you will be successful.
The biggest problem when growing them indoors is usually keeping the humidity high enough and at the same time providing enough air exchange and light.

> I am using is fir or some other soft wood, and also that the trupet royale is not an oyster mushroom otherwise it would not like fir pellets.
I also have grown them on a mixture of fir pellets fuel, paper and breadcrumbs.
Probably the will do on fir pellets ...

> Oh I am also using the Hydrogen Peroxide method for this stuff. I highly recommend it for beginners who do not possess clean rooms and do not want to make glove boxes and get laminar flow hoods and all that spendy stuff.
That is interesting. Maybe you could post some pics (kind of tek) that describes your method ?
Think here at the forum not very many people use the peroxid method for growing mushrooms.
I only use peroxid in the agar ...

Wish you luick with your culture and keep us updated on how it goes with your Trumpet Royale.
Curious if they are really P. eryngii ....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms