Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Paying for Education
    #1436316 - 04/07/03 03:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

hey libertarians, what about government funding education?

i consider myself a libertarian.... but i do think that one thing the gov't should provide is an education, and everyone should pay tax for it....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Paying for Education [Re: ]
    #1436353 - 04/07/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If the gov provided education then people might think for themselves, and thus be less controlable.  Although if they properly manipulated the educational system.........thats a different story!

Im all for free education, it would make sense.  But its just not going to happen in any beneficial form. :frown:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1436376 - 04/07/03 03:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I believe that we should have free education, but I also think that students should have the choice of where they can go to school. I believe that there should be an option to take your money and attend school in a different district or even attend a private school. I think a little competition would be a good thing for our nations schools.
I think college should still cost money though. Anyone who really wants to go to college can either work hard to get a scholarship or work their way through school. My father did it (he was dirt poor), and he is making me do it (even though he can afford to send me to school) because it builds character and forces me to learn how to work.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1436382 - 04/07/03 04:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not sure i'm for FREE education but i am for affordable education. I don't want it to be free for the mere fact that the government will have 100% say in what is to be taught there. If there was a way that the education could be free without government intrusions then i'd be all for it. This is one of the only few social programs i would be for.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1436443 - 04/07/03 04:21 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Government run schools are the best brainwashing tool stolen tax money can buy.

Instead of just giving everyone an education, why don't we establish accounts for each student in which he/she is loaned money for education. When the indivudal enters the work force, he/she can pay back the money (treat it as a tax deduction 100% applicable to tax liability) borrowed. I find it wrong that childless individuals should be forced by government to pay for the education of other people's children (I have two children myself, so this isn't selfish motivation).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (04/07/03 04:24 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1436874 - 04/07/03 07:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Absolutely not. The only legitimate function of government is to provide protection from the initiation of force (and by extension, fraud) for its citizens. The use of tax dollars for anything other than police, courts, and military is theft.

As others have already pointed out, education is the very LAST thing you want to leave in the hands of government. I find it amusing that practically every third post lately involves the word "brainwashing", yet these same posters see no contradiction in their staunch support of "free" education.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion