Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: Diploid]
    #14357543 - 04/26/11 08:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

His noodlyness is the cause of time and space. He is creator of all there is. He is the beginning and the end.

Well then he is no longer spaghetti monster but my God! he is one after all.

Quote:

You should stop talking nonsense and insulting the beliefs of millions of Pastafarians around the world

lol

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: soldatheero]
    #14357888 - 04/26/11 09:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

when he talks about god he can see it here and now, the same can't be said for the flying spaghetti monster

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14358150 - 04/26/11 10:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have read that many people find this to be mocking of religion, but isn't religion self-mocking?

If religious folk can see the absurdity of holy pasta, why are they unable to see the silliness of their own wacky myths?

Strawman, not all religious folk are unable to see the silliness of their wacky myths.

Offlinerealfuzzhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: above the smog layer Flag
    #14358280 - 04/26/11 10:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

soldatheero said:
Quote:

pretty sure its title is self defining

Quote:

It is a monster who is all powerful and made of spaghetti.

So it is some kind of organism made of spaghetti which has a finite existence within time and space. If it exists in time and space then it cannot be all powerful as it will be limited by time and space.

Quote:

Do you have a definition for "God" that is any better than that?

You serious? Your spaghetti monster God is a joke. My God does not exist within time and space because he is the cause of time and space.

The spaghetti God is completely arbitrary and is not a solid concept. This spaghetti monster argument is only made by those who have a very primitive conception of what God is.

ahahaha Prove my flying spaghetti monster wrong? and how do you deduce he's finite? What if i think he infinite and both apart and outside of our physcial realm.

You cant find evidence for him? Absence of evidence does not mean absence of evidence.

sorry but A giant "man" in the sky is just an inplausible

OfflineFungusfondla
Fondler of fine fungi.

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: Grapefruit]
    #14358387 - 04/26/11 10:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
You present nothing yet OC clearly presents that there is no way to make a distinction between pasta being holy and sacred from anything else being holy and sacred so they are both equally ridiculous.

If you disagree why not post why instead of posting a slight to a belief without backing it up?

The term "holy" or "sacred" is defined by each individual on a bit of a deeper scale (IMO). It has a lot to do with the emotional/mental state that is induced and the various frequencies that are distributed and their effects on our physical form. The definition may vary from subject to subject but the emotional/mental state and the effects thereof are common among all individuals who perceive something to be "holy" or "sacred".

Quote:

Dr. Masaru Emoto was born in Japan and is a graduate of the Yokohama Municipal University and the Open International University as a Doctor of Alternative Medicine. His photographs were first featured in his self-published books Messages from Water 1 and 2. The Hidden Messages in Water was first published in Japan, with over 400,000 copies sold internationally.

What has put Dr. Emoto at the forefront of the study of water is his proof that thoughts and feelings affect physical reality. By producing different focused intentions through written and spoken words and music and literally presenting it to the same water samples, the water appears to "change its expression".

You Make Me Sick

Love and Gratitude

Essentially, Dr. Emoto captured water's 'expressions.' He developed a technique using a very powerful microscope in a very cold room along with high-speed photography, to photograph newly formed crystals of frozen water samples. Not all water samples crystallize however. Water samples from extremely polluted rivers directly seem to express the 'state' the water is in.

Dr. Masaru Emoto discovered that crystals formed in frozen water reveal changes when specific, concentrated thoughts are directed toward them. He found that water from clear springs and water that has been exposed to loving words shows brilliant, complex, and colorful snowflake patterns. In contrast, polluted water, or water exposed to negative thoughts, forms incomplete, asymmetrical patterns with dull colors.

http://www.whatthebleep.com/crystals/

Our bodies (not to mention the Earth) are made up of approximately 60% water, thus this effect is on a biological scale as well. :2cents:

--------------------
Any information/ pictures/ text that implies I grow or use illegal substances is false and/ or for entertainment purposes. Nothing I say or submit to this forum or to any other should be taken literally.

Offlinerealfuzzhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: above the smog layer Flag
Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: Fungusfondla]
    #14358415 - 04/26/11 10:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah ive seen that move, "water". interesting stuff indeed

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: realfuzzhead]
    #14358522 - 04/26/11 10:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ahahaha Prove my flying spaghetti monster wrong? and how do you deduce he's finite? What if i think he infinite and both apart and outside of our physcial realm.

Well then I guess he is no longer the spaghetti monster but the real God of the theistic religions incarnating as spaghetti monster? Lol sure but why worry about it? Jesus was here :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleDragonaut

#14358923 - 04/27/11 12:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Religious folks can not see the "sillyness" or "absurdity" of their "myths", as you call them, because they have divine proof: The Word of God, aka (insert name of any holy text here).:smile:

My question is: If God really is all-powerful, omnipotent, infinitely wise, and telepathically communicative, -- as he is claimed to be -- why would he/she/it not be able, nor willing to directly impart universal awareness of himself into our cerebral cortexes? Why instead speak vicariously through texts written by less knowledgeable beings who might contort or omit His word to suit their own agenda?

:watchingyou:

--------------------
:dragon:

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #14358973 - 04/27/11 12:15 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Fungusfondla said:
Quote:

Grapefruit said:
You present nothing yet OC clearly presents that there is no way to make a distinction between pasta being holy and sacred from anything else being holy and sacred so they are both equally ridiculous.

If you disagree why not post why instead of posting a slight to a belief without backing it up?

The term "holy" or "sacred" is defined by each individual on a bit of a deeper scale (IMO). It has a lot to do with the emotional/mental state that is induced and the various frequencies that are distributed and their effects on our physical form. The definition may vary from subject to subject but the emotional/mental state and the effects thereof are common among all individuals who perceive something to be "holy" or "sacred".

Quote:

Dr. Masaru Emoto was born in Japan and is a graduate of the Yokohama Municipal University and the Open International University as a Doctor of Alternative Medicine. His photographs were first featured in his self-published books Messages from Water 1 and 2. The Hidden Messages in Water was first published in Japan, with over 400,000 copies sold internationally.

What has put Dr. Emoto at the forefront of the study of water is his proof that thoughts and feelings affect physical reality. By producing different focused intentions through written and spoken words and music and literally presenting it to the same water samples, the water appears to "change its expression".

You Make Me Sick

Love and Gratitude

Essentially, Dr. Emoto captured water's 'expressions.' He developed a technique using a very powerful microscope in a very cold room along with high-speed photography, to photograph newly formed crystals of frozen water samples. Not all water samples crystallize however. Water samples from extremely polluted rivers directly seem to express the 'state' the water is in.

Dr. Masaru Emoto discovered that crystals formed in frozen water reveal changes when specific, concentrated thoughts are directed toward them. He found that water from clear springs and water that has been exposed to loving words shows brilliant, complex, and colorful snowflake patterns. In contrast, polluted water, or water exposed to negative thoughts, forms incomplete, asymmetrical patterns with dull colors.

Our bodies (not to mention the Earth) are made up of approximately 60% water, thus this effect is on a biological scale as well. :2cents:

The problem with this Emoto stuff is that there's no evidence for it- just a bunch of antecdotal reports with ill-defined but definately insufficient methodology.  Basically, he just looks at crystals till he finds one that matches what he's looking for (he's not blinded) and then proclaims it a "hit". 

Its crap, dude, total crap.  If you disagree, try to find some evidence of whatever investigation he's done to verify these claims and demonstrate how such was accomplished.  That you will be unable to find anything should clue you in that its just made up garbage- about as methodologically sound as the grilled-cheese Jesus antecdotes as proof that Jesus appears in grilled cheese.

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: johnm214]
    #14358978 - 04/27/11 12:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

That you will be unable to find anything should clue you in that its just made up garbage- about as methodologically sound as the grilled-cheese Jesus antecdotes as proof that Jesus appears in grilled cheese.

lawl

--------------------

Offlineargg
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Nigeria
    #14359043 - 04/27/11 12:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

FSM created everything. It is the truth. If there are any such other beings even close to his power he created them for the lulz as he like the lulz.

--------------------

OfflineFungusfondla
Fondler of fine fungi.

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: johnm214]
    #14359653 - 04/27/11 05:51 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

Fungusfondla said:
Quote:

Grapefruit said:

Quote:

You Make Me Sick

Love and Gratitude

The problem with this Emoto stuff is that there's no evidence for it- just a bunch of antecdotal reports with ill-defined but definately insufficient methodology.  Basically, he just looks at crystals till he finds one that matches what he's looking for (he's not blinded) and then proclaims it a "hit". 

Its crap, dude, total crap.  If you disagree, try to find some evidence of whatever investigation he's done to verify these claims and demonstrate how such was accomplished.  That you will be unable to find anything should clue you in that its just made up garbage- about as methodologically sound as the grilled-cheese Jesus antecdotes as proof that Jesus appears in grilled cheese.

http://amnap.blogspot.com/2007/04/double-blind-experimental-validation-of.html

http://www.linda-goodman.com/ubb/Forum25/HTML/001150.html

http://www.is-masaru-emoto-for-real.com/  The validity of the scientific methods used is certainly questionable. (But then again so is the OP.) Took all of 20 seconds to find, there's more too.  (UTFGS)  :whocares:  :lovemeds:

--------------------
Any information/ pictures/ text that implies I grow or use illegal substances is false and/ or for entertainment purposes. Nothing I say or submit to this forum or to any other should be taken literally.

Edited by Fungusfondla (04/27/11 06:01 AM)

OfflineFungusfondla
Fondler of fine fungi.

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: argg]
    #14359672 - 04/27/11 06:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

argg said:
FSM created everything. It is the truth. If there are any such other beings even close to his power he created them for the lulz as he like the lulz.

Your sig led me to a revelation.... the universe is one big line of coke and we are all being snorted through the blackhole of FSM's nostrils!!!!!!!!!!! WILD RIDE! :hotidea:  :hotidea:

Edit: now that I think about it, not sure why I tried to make a productive post in a thread about a "Flying Spaghetti Monster"... Man I must have been feeling good last night lol.

--------------------

Edited by Fungusfondla (04/27/11 06:20 AM)

OfflineUnison
Stranger

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #14360060 - 04/27/11 08:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You've got it all wrong. The real one God is actually the cosmic Fonz.

"His fist strucketh the Earth, and henceforth, there was life. This was good, and He said, Eyyyyyy."

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: realfuzzhead]
    #14360080 - 04/27/11 08:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

realfuzzhead said:
I praise the flying spaghetti monster. Prove him wrong, i dare you. Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence

There is copious amounts of evidence against the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Of all the gods invented, the FSM has among the most evidence denying its existence.  (of course demanding 'proof' is an unrealistic and unreasonable expectation)

InvisibleDieCommie

#14360095 - 04/27/11 08:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Fungusfondla said:
Quote:

You Make Me Sick

Love and Gratitude

This effect?  There is no effect.  This is all made up bullshit dude, it really is.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #14360181 - 04/27/11 09:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Man, the gullibility of True Believers never stops.

I've debunked this several times, but since True Believers prefer to believe anything that supports their biases and pre-conclusions instead of actually trying to find the Truth of things, here we go again:

Let's start with the Dr. part. Emoto's PhD is from an unaccredited diploma farm. He never earned a PhD. He just had one printed up for him. This alone doesn't invalidate his claims, but it goes to show how True Believers swallow any bullshit that's fed to them without critical analysis so long as it supports their pre-conclusions.

Next, Emoto claims that when he tapes words to bottles of water and freezes them, the crystals that form are descriptive of the words used. For example, if the word 'love' is taped to a bottle, beautiful crystals form; if the words 'you make me sick' are used, ugly crystals form.

What Emoto fails to mention is that the person judging the character of the crystals knows the word used and uses this foreknowledge to look for for a crystal among the millions that form which matches the target word. This is a huge no-no in science because it's been shown again and again that, even against your best intentions, if you know what's supposed to be there, you will usually find it - it's called Selection Bias and automatically invalidates any findings.

To demonstrate a real effect, the person characterizing the crystals would have to be blind to the word used so that he can make an honest and fair assessment of the aesthetics of the crystal without bias.

By the way, my buddy James Randi has said that if Emoto could perform this experiment blinded, it would qualify for the JREF Million Dollar Prize. Demonstrating his claims in a proper blind protocol would show there really is a correlation between the words taped to a bottle and the crystals formed within. Not surprisingly, Emoto has never applied for the million dollar prize.

Meanwhile, attempts to reproduce Emoto's work by others have now been made. Again not surprisingly, his results are unreproducible when the test is done properly blinded.

Additionally, Emoto has been invited to demonstrate his results by a few universities. He's declined all the invitations so far.

And finally, Emoto published his work without peer review (surprised?). This means that he can report anything at all, and since no other scientists were offered the opportunity to comment, his word goes uncontested.

It's relevant to note that even with all of the above, his book is selling well to people who buy new age mumbo jumbo that is demonstrably bullshit and who don't know how to think critically.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #14360269 - 04/27/11 09:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

More importantly, it has been shown that water crystals don't have the intelligence of an amoeba and are certainly unable to read words backwards.

--------------------

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Flying Spaghetti Monster [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14360304 - 04/27/11 09:51 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

wow that was a great debunk, at first i was all bunked but now I AINT BUNKED NO MO :discorex:

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

OfflineFungusfondla
Fondler of fine fungi.

#14360331 - 04/27/11 09:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Man, the gullibility of True Believers never stops.

:laugh2:

How the hell does linking Dr. Emoto make me a "True Believer"? I was simply adding to the thread, was not suggesting the existence or non-existence of ANYTHING. It's that mentality that keeps me out of these sh*t threads, it's always a dispute and everyone else is always wrong, even if their post is pertaining to what is perceived as "sacred" or "holy". I wasn't saying anything about my beliefs. Just my opinion on how something (FSM, God, Mushrooms, ANYTHING...) is perceived to be "sacred" or "holy".  :stonedjerk:

Edit: Hadn't looked into the biased nature of Emoto's "research", thanks for the heads up. However, this entire discussion is biased based upon the experiences of the individual arguing, none of this is provable (yet) so Emoto's studies fit perfectly in this thread. If you were to approach this topic with the same blindness, the question would be "what the hell is the FSM", not whether it exists or not. :grin:

--------------------

Edited by Fungusfondla (04/27/11 10:06 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract