Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Overlay what do I do
    #1435535 - 04/07/03 09:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My friend has a casing of Orissa that he patched a couple of times and put in the fruiting chamber 3 days ago and he says the top of the casing looks like it snowed out. About 70% of its covered but the mycilium is reaching up like little trees in a forest. What should he do? Is this ok or what? He is worried and would greatly apprieciate the help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: Overlay what do I do [Re: fee]
    #1435543 - 04/07/03 09:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

he should patch with plain vermiculite.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Anonymous

Re: Overlay what do I do [Re: felix]
    #1435546 - 04/07/03 09:55 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So can he put a thin layer of 60/40 coco/verm over the whole thing? Will that be ok? thanks for the help

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1435549 - 04/07/03 09:57 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

consider a cold shock. too many variables not mentioned but it sounds like to me that the mycelium hasn't figured out that it is supposed to be pinning. kinda need a pic to tell you exactly what to do as far as further casing/patching goes.

Anonymous

Re: Overlay what do I do [Re: debianlinux]
    #1435567 - 04/07/03 10:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My friend has this pic he took this morning. I am really sorry but it has to be the crapiest camera ever.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1435594 - 04/07/03 10:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hehe. pretty bad. looks like a tub full of insulation. :smile: i think i see myc in the bottom left hand corner and against the right hand wall. you say this is 70% colonized?

Anonymous

Re: Overlay what do I do [Re: debianlinux]
    #1435606 - 04/07/03 10:29 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Like I said its a crappy ass camera. Everywhere that it isnt a dark coler thier is mycilium poking out, and its everywhere except in two small places. I know what mycilium looks like and trust me its about 70% colinized. I have seen plenty of his casings and none of them came even close to being this colinized before and he has had wonderful pinsets. Out of the same container he harvested 410 wet grams on the first flush alone and the container is only a foot by four inches. Can you please help out. Should he just wait and see's what happens or should he patch?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1435619 - 04/07/03 10:41 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What happens when your friend mists the casing? Does the water soak in or does it pool? My friend once had a nasty overlay like yours; in his case, misting caused the water to pool because the mycelium on the surface had matted down and died forming a barrier. He was able to somewhat resurect the casing by deep scratching. He eventually got one moderately large flush out of it but he says that's better than nothing.

By the way, my friend says that cubies have quite a bit of mycelial momentum; the mycelium keeps growing for a while after fruiting conditions are established. For this reason, my friend incubates cuby casings only a day or two at most, then he fruits them because the mycelium doesn't change gears from colonizing to pinning for a few days even after they're in the fruiting chamber.

Good luck!

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Overlay what do I do [Re: Diploid]
    #1435630 - 04/07/03 10:48 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

following up on Diploid... you need to determine if the mycelium is simply colonized or overlayed. Overlay is all matty and tough. If overlayed then scratch, re-case, incubate till valleys show mycelium, coldshock, birth. If not overlay then THINLY recase, coldshock, birth. my .02 based on what information you have given me.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1435743 - 04/07/03 12:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I do not know if anyone mentioned "scratching" the surface of the substrate . It is kinda risky , but is in THE MUSHROOM CULTIVATOR . Basically , if you know you are contam free , you take a "sterile" fork and gently scratch the substrate surface aprox 1/4 inch deep , then recase with 50/50 mix, put in dark till case is properly colonized . Sometimes this process can actually increase pinset , but it also can spread contamination like wild fire . If you do this make sure tool you use is as steile as possible , do in a sterile environment .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation