Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Contaminated or germinated syringe??
    #1435404 - 04/07/03 05:51 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ok I made up a spore syringe.. the strain is tassie.

The specks of spores I can see in the syringe are all clumping together forming strands... there is no other colour besides the colour of the spores but they are definitely clumping together and forming strands... When I shake it up they can become dislodged but they form together again...

Is this a contamination? or have the spores germinated in the syringe?? The water was hard tap water.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Contaminated or germinated syringe?? [Re: mesq]
    #1435412 - 04/07/03 06:00 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

sounds to me like germination. contamination is generally powdery and stirs up very easily and doesn't tend to clump/grow together. my.02. also, i always "screen" spore syringes by inoculating liquid culture with it. this not only allows me to check for contams but multiplies my syringes exponentially. in your case, this method would teach you the visual difference between germinated spores and contamination in liquid.

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Re: Contaminated or germinated syringe?? [Re: debianlinux]
    #1435416 - 04/07/03 06:02 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ok where is a good method for me to inoculate a liquid culture??

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1435480 - 04/07/03 07:11 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

at first i wanted to hit you for not looking around. then i looked around and realized that no vendors have decent teks anymore (don't blame them, either). the tek I use came from a now defunct site (drooldonkey) and was written by hippie3. I'm at work so I don't have access to it. I use it frequently enough that I don't remember the specifics because I don't have to read it anymore. The basics: optimal ratio 4% honey/sugar and 96% water. For 100ml of water this is about 8 grams of honey. Even simpler, for 100ml of water use ~1 tbsp of honey. I use 1/2 pint jars. You can use a regular metal lid and band and pop a nail hole in the lid or use a plastic lid with a septa port (for syringes, self-healing). If you use the metal lid just put a couple pieces of duct tape over the hole. Put the water in HOT. This helps the honey mix in. Drop in 2 marbles (used to break up mycelium). Add the honey. Close jars and shake till well mixed (no unmixed honey, will look like very light piss). PC at 15 pi1 for 10-15 minutes (not too long or sugar carmelizes). Let cool. Innoculate. If using metal lids with duct-taped holes make sure you have a piece of duct tape handy to cover the hole immediatley after innoculation. Incubate. Check/Shake every 24 hours. Should be ready within 3 days of innoculation. 4 at most. Use what you need and refrigerate the rest. You can keep a culture alive for a very long time like this. Makeup some syringes full of sterile water so you shoot the water into the jar and then suck it back up. This way the jar really never runs out. When the culture starts to wear thin (usually around 10 syringes for 100ml of culture) just use one the culture syringes to innoculate a fresh jar of honey water. Also, healthy mycelium in honey water looks somewhat like stringy cotton and will break up rather easily (don't forget those marbles!). Contams are powdery and sit on the bottom and kick up like a dust cloud when shaken. Hope that helps :smile:

eidt: fixed some spelling

Edited by debianlinux (04/07/03 07:16 AM)

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

#1435495 - 04/07/03 07:23 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks I think I deserve a *slap* cos I  did find some teks in the Faqs almost immediately after I posted...  :crazy: ill try searching Mycotopia for hippies liquid mycelium stuff... and thanks for posting...

Im assuming that I should put my spore syringe in the fridge to stop the spores from going any further? Until I decide to make liquid culture or to use in inoculation  At least I know that these spores are aggressive.. Bluemeanie is right about tassies!!
Thanks debianlinux

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1435506 - 04/07/03 07:31 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

word of warning: mycotopia has been mostly abandoned since the DEA stated they were watching it.

you will want to incubate and establish the culture BEFORE refrigerating. just wanted to make sure that was clear. give it 3 days. it will keep in the fridge at least 3 months (IME) prolly longer.

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

#1436292 - 04/07/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

What I meant was that I will be storing the syringe (ie the original syringe not the mycelium water ones) in the fridge until I decide whether to use it for inoculation or whatever... this is ok isnt it??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures