Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Aldous Huxley, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
    #1435325 - 04/07/03 06:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Excuse for my shoddy writing style;

I had my first psychedelic experience about a year ago. Since the experience many things have changed for me, mainly the perspective on life itself. Typical brain cleaning that most get with the experience. Sometimes however, when I sit alone and stare at the world I get taken back to those feelings of watching life function like a big wet animal, constantly purring in synchronity with everything. Then I think, did I make a mistake taking these mushrooms a year ago? Are we really meant to see the Wizard behind the curtain? Or is it our duty to seek out that Wizard and shake his/her hand. I read somewhere, don't know where of a man seeking the advice from a native american shaman about psychedelic mushrooms. The shaman replied that by taking a psychedelic without spiritual guidence results in many karma life repeats.

any thoughts?

sorry this post ends so abruptly. I am in an abrupt mood tonight.

cheers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1435333 - 04/07/03 06:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Are we really meant to see the Wizard behind the curtain?

who's to say what we are "meant" to see? if you saw the man behind the curtain, then it was meant to be. not everyone sees him.

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1435341 - 04/07/03 06:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that is true but it is also true that I decided to take the mushroom in the first place. now I know this will open up the whole complicated issue about free will and determinism but I'd rather not address that right now. The question stands, do you think humans should peek behind the curtain? Would you give this to your little brother if you had one and said here take this, you need to see what is really going on. Are the people that are so focused into the system of life living like a slave the ones that alter their perception the most when they come out of the mess? Are they also the ones that have more potential of going mad?

I'm parap-phrashing but Huxley once said after his famous mescaline journey, "Once you have opened the doors of perception they can never close."

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1435355 - 04/07/03 07:04 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps the man behind the curtain is none other that yourself.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1435361 - 04/07/03 07:09 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that sounds like ego talk

do you mean yourself as who I am the person or who I am the whole? the one, the is, blah...

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
    #1435367 - 04/07/03 07:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

What he said makes sense to me..I think everyone should consider that possibility.The consciousness is all we know..in other words there is no way of knowing that every thing inside the mind is nothing more than just that.
But in my opinion the we already know everything it is just a matter of putting the knowledge toghether in our brains.
To choose the path of a seeker of truth one must be prepared for challenges along the way, it can be very hard. Yet you must ask yourself..am I willing to be decieved..I dont know?
seems like sheep have it easy..you choose your own fate.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1435392 - 04/07/03 07:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps loss of the ego is just a loss of our pretenses about the ego. It is the loss of the construct. We see ourselvs naked.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #1435745 - 04/07/03 12:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I had read a book by Ram Dass where he referred to someone taking a psychedelic on their death bed (Huxley I think) and saying that would result in reincarnation because the person was still attached to a quest for knowledge. As long as you are attached to anything you will reincarnate until all attachment is worked off, that sounds like your shaman.

I don't know if that is true or not, it seems to me that Mankind has an impulse to seek the meaning behind all things whether through drugs, religion, philosophy, or science. If this impulse can be proved to exist over time for humanity why would it be taboo? Because of the story of Eden? Is that to be taken literally or is it a metaphor for something else? Must we become so unattached that we melt into the Pure One? To me it's all interesting and all hearsay. I want to see it and know it for myself, not take someone's word for it. I don't feel this is a duty but a need. What if I just said screw it all I don't need to see the Man Behind The Curtain? I would get 74 years of relative peace and then die? Then what? I couldn't pull that off even if I wanted to, I'm impelled to search and that impulse comes from within. For me that is one of the few certainties in this life.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1435782 - 04/07/03 12:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Must we become so unattached that we melt into the Pure One? To me it's all interesting and all hearsay. I want to see it and know it for myself, not take someone's word for it. I don't feel this is a duty but a need. What if I just said screw it all I don't need to see the Man Behind The Curtain? I would get 74 years of relative peace and then die? Then what? I couldn't pull that off even if I wanted to, I'm impelled to search and that impulse comes from within.

Great post!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: shaggy101]
    #1436109 - 04/07/03 02:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Myself, I sort of think that there is no meaning at all. At the same time, however, we make meaning out of everything. It's basically a paradox that seems to hold true. A "Trash to one man, Treasure" to another sort of thing, I guess.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1436652 - 04/07/03 05:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I agree 100% that it could all mean nothing. I wrestled with that possibility for some time and it depressed me, I felt then as now that there was meaning, some ultimate order that runs as a thread through all things and all time. I eventually settled on this; I'll continue to explore until I die, then if there is Nothing I won't be much bothered. I like McKenna's take on the matter, Life is open-ended and worry is useless, you take your best shot and that's all you can do.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1436843 - 04/07/03 06:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

exactly!
Thats how I got over the "whats the point" philosophy.
I mean whether there is a meaning or not, doesnt the simple fact that we are asking the question give it meaning :laugh:

Sorta ~the answer is in the question
Its really the same way I look at what I believe.
If what I believe is not true it still is true because I have made it so.
It is why I say I love god but I still dont know he excists.. Granted maybe my thought of god could be different then others, but if you believe god is love-then truely we can not be to much different.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: shaggy101]
    #1436958 - 04/07/03 07:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I had read a book by Ram Dass where he referred to someone taking a psychedelic on their death bed (Huxley I think) and saying that would result in reincarnation because the person was still attached to a quest for knowledge.

Rad Dass is assuming that's why huxley dosed on LSD when he died.. to quest for knowledge.. As I understand the theories about reincarnation, there aren't universal laws governing it. ie just cause you took a drug doesn't mean you'll have to come back, but it would have more to do with your intentions in dosing up.

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... [Re: Dogomush]
    #1437582 - 04/07/03 11:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was quoting the Ram Dass book "The Only Dance There Is". It makes for interesting reading, he was a practitioner of Karma Yoga and the book is based off of talks he gave in 1970 & '72. His point was that there ARE laws governing karma and the fact that Huxley didn't go out saying his mantra the way Gandhi did means he didn't release from the wheel of reincarnation. I haven't read that book since '93-'94 but I'm sure that is what he meant, I'll double check it. Read the book for yourself, it goes into psychedelics, the 60's, Tim Leary, and lots of Hinduism, it was fascinating.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Aldous Huxley, San Pedro, Terrence McKenna, The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology