Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAse
Stranger

Loc: sideways & upsidedown
ID!
    #1434977 - 04/07/03 01:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sorry I have no picture. (Scanner is busted, but I'm buying a digital camera soon)

a. Habitat (where and what does it grow on)- Underneath some ivy along a path, semi-wet earth. Seattle Washington.
b. Characteristics of the gills (color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc) The gills are not connected. They are a dark tan color
c. Measurements of cap and stem.- Caps about the size of quarters, stems about 1-1/2 inches long
d. Characteristics of the stem (color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc)- Semi hollow, white, thin.
e. Characteristics of the cap (color, texture, concical/spherical, convex/concave, etc)- greyish, tan, one is purplish blue. They are conical, convex, and have "nipples" at the top"
f. Spore print color (very important!)- cant get that to work
g. Color that the mushroom briuses- purplish blue
h. Scent of mushroom- smells like dirt

PS-They look very much like liberty caps.

Edited by Ase (04/07/03 01:50 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: ID! [Re: Ase]
    #1435008 - 04/07/03 02:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

liberty caps in seattle??? well from what u describe they sound like the typical psilocybe features. get the spore print tho how long have you let it sit already? it may take like an hour or more. some one like mj will come along and give you a good id. but seriously get the spore print. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAse
Stranger

Re: ID! [Re: blaze2]
    #1435035 - 04/07/03 02:22 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I tried the print, and I left it there for about 3 hours. NO spores showed up though. I might be able to get a pic tomorrow.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1435042 - 04/07/03 02:27 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hmm did you do it on white paper? maybe it droped a white print? i dont know what to tell you. i guess just wait for the more knowegeable people to respond. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAse
Stranger

#1435048 - 04/07/03 02:29 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I did it on foil.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

#1435171 - 04/07/03 04:02 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

huh thats weird. well its a small mushroom maybe it just wasnt at the point in its life when it starts to release tons of spores, or maybe it had already released most of them.

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1435654 - 04/07/03 11:12 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

or you have to wait more than 3 hours....

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1435832 - 04/07/03 12:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It often helps to put a cup or bowl over the mushroom and a few drops of water to boost the humidity. You can often get reluctant mushrooms to produce spores by trying that.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: ID! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1436398 - 04/07/03 04:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It sounds very simialr to psilocybe beaoctsis(sp) with the hollow stem and the shape of the cap. I have found this mushroom in ivy beds before also.

Was the stem striaght or did it hve kinks and curves in it?

One thing i do to identify this mushroom when i am not sure is i break the stem in half and there is a brown inner layer to the stem( i believe it is called teh plith).

If it is a liberty cap the stem should have been very striaght and the stem should have been very flexiable. flexable enough that you could rap the stem around your finger with out it breaking.

Well these are just a few of the key things i look at when identifying these mushrooms, hope it helps.

P.S. I have also found Psilocybe Stuntzii friting in ivy beds but since you didnt mention anyting about a partial veil i doubt it is a blue ringer.

OfflineAse
Stranger

Re: ID! [Re: fliped]
    #1439864 - 04/08/03 05:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think that they are psilocybe beaocystis. I looked at the pics on errowid, and they look exactly like the ones I have, thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification