Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerage87
Stranger
Are my mushrooms aborting?
    #14324230 - 04/20/11 07:56 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

I think I'm doing something wrong with my grow. The mushrooms were looking healthy but now they are starting to wrinkle on the cap and I really havent seen any growth.

Here is a different cake and the above used to look like these:

Mist/Fanning 3-4 times a day
12/12 6500K
SGFC

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBargainBab
Hey Dere Ho Dere
Male User Gallery

Loc: Callisto
Re: Are my mushrooms aborting? [Re: rage87]
    #14324259 - 04/20/11 08:02 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

What sub were they grown in?

--------------------
Oh wow, GOOD Nyborg!

Offlinecrp32008
Planetoi
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14324267 - 04/20/11 08:04 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

Looks to me like its a multispore and your getting an average yeild for doing cakes.  I mean they look like they prematurely are opening their caps which is a genetic thing.  Aborts will stop growth and the tops of their heads will start to darken/turn black.  A couple in the top pic look like theyve aborted but some of them look just fine.  How are you misting?  Shouldnt be directly misting, Mist from above and let it drop down into the tub and mist the sides of the tub.

Whats the strain?  Is it multispore of cloned?  What are the temps like?  What is your sub made up of?  All of these will help us better answer the question.

--------------------
"The truth is, no one really knows the truth. But, brief moment we may be able to taste it. This is the "a-ha!" moment of life. But then, just as quickly as it comes, it has left without warning. The lingering feeling of knowing, even for a second, what others are rarely open to leaves us thankful to have experienced it. Out of this comes a whole new look on life, ourselves, and others. The real human experience changes us forever. Even if all we catch is a glimps of it, to know it is there puts peace in our hearts and love toward our fellow man."

My Journal Entry

Offlinecrp32008
Planetoi
 User Gallery

Re: Are my mushrooms aborting? [Re: crp32008]
    #14324278 - 04/20/11 08:06 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

also, by the blueing on the second pic, it looks like you might be either misting directly OR fanning too much and drying the chamber out.  Both of those could cause the issue of smaller fruits.  Also, too much fanning can cause a drop in humidity and cause smaller but dense fruits...which it looks like your getting.

--------------------
"The truth is, no one really knows the truth. But, brief moment we may be able to taste it. This is the "a-ha!" moment of life. But then, just as quickly as it comes, it has left without warning. The lingering feeling of knowing, even for a second, what others are rarely open to leaves us thankful to have experienced it. Out of this comes a whole new look on life, ourselves, and others. The real human experience changes us forever. Even if all we catch is a glimps of it, to know it is there puts peace in our hearts and love toward our fellow man."

My Journal Entry

Offlinerage87
Stranger
    #14324335 - 04/20/11 08:19 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

Thank you for the quick responses. These are BRF cakes. Ban Hua Thanon strain and are multispore. Temps are 70-73.

I have been misting on to the fruits (but not saturating). I will start like you said and mist above and let it fall down to the fruits.

Here are some more pics:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14319429

At this point should I cut down on the misting and fan less?

Once again, thank you for the responses.

OfflineBargainBab
Hey Dere Ho Dere
Male User Gallery

Loc: Callisto
    #14324375 - 04/20/11 08:27 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

It looks like just a multispore thing. They're not so much aborting as just hitting their peak early, because they're fat as shit

--------------------
Oh wow, GOOD Nyborg!

Offlinecrp32008
Planetoi
 User Gallery

Re: Are my mushrooms aborting? [Re: BargainBab]
    #14324405 - 04/20/11 08:33 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

BargainBab said:
It looks like just a multispore thing. They're not so much aborting as just hitting their peak early, because they're fat as shit

Thats what I was thinking.

rage: id pull them, dunk, and let them flush again.  Alot of times the first flushes arent the best that the cake is gonna do.

--------------------

My Journal Entry

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

#14324440 - 04/20/11 08:39 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

they may do better the second time, that happens alot when they are infected with a more benign bacteria. I'd say they are. It looks a lot like trichoderma on that second cake

Offlinerage87
Stranger
Re: Are my mushrooms aborting? [Re: SomeGuy]
    #14327298 - 04/21/11 01:29 PM (10 years, 22 days ago)

Well I lost one cake to trich this morning. Not the 2 cakes I had pictured but a different one. It only had a couple of fruits on it which I picked and I've tossed the cake. The fruits didn't have trich on them so if I dry them out they should be good to consume correct? Also about this benign bacteria, is that safe to consume as well?

I guess at this point should I just get rid of all the cakes together and then re-sterilize my SGFC and start over? I've got 10 cakes of B+ about ready to birth.

Thanks for the help.

InvisibleSillicybin
    #14327824 - 04/21/11 03:49 PM (10 years, 22 days ago)

I don't really see any evidence of bacterial infection, but if any of the mushrooms are slimy, don't eat them.

Barring that, they're safe.  Unless there is mold is on the fruit itself, there isn't an issue.

Trichoderma really isn't harmful to a healthy person, even if you ate some directly.  It's nonpathogenic to humans and does not produce much in the way of mycotoxins.

Edited for clarity and to add this: Just to clarify to a layperson, I'm not advocating eating trich.  It can upset your stomach, and it can be toxic if you were dumb enough to eat a bunch of it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichothecene)

Edited by Sillicybin (04/21/11 04:03 PM)

Offlinerage87
Stranger
Re: Are my mushrooms aborting? [Re: Sillicybin]
    #14327878 - 04/21/11 04:01 PM (10 years, 22 days ago)

The fruits were not slimy. I will go ahead and get the ones I picked dried out. I'm going to go ahead and pick the remaining fruits and then re-dunk to see what the second flush brings.

Some of these cakes has small pins, too small pick... would I be alright just leaving them on there and then dunk for 24 hours?

InvisibleTheDrake
Male User Gallery

#14328000 - 04/21/11 04:34 PM (10 years, 22 days ago)

pins will be fine.

--------------------

Offlinerage87
Stranger
Re: Are my mushrooms aborting? [Re: TheDrake]
    #14328261 - 04/21/11 05:27 PM (10 years, 22 days ago)

As for the other cakes, since I got rid of the one with trich, should I get rid of the other ones as well. I don't see signs of trich on them but this pretty much happened overnight so I could have this issue again with other cakes. The trich area was small and isolated so I'm hoping I can continue on with these cakes.

InvisibleSillicybin
    #14328715 - 04/21/11 06:49 PM (10 years, 22 days ago)

I wouldn't ditch your other cakes until they show signs of infection.  It could have been just a small sector of contamination in that one jar.

Offlinerage87
Stranger
Re: Are my mushrooms aborting? [Re: Sillicybin]
    #14329666 - 04/21/11 09:54 PM (10 years, 21 days ago)

I've picked all remaining fruits and have redunked the cakes. Just looking at some other pics from another thread, I think i was definitely misting too much. Thats probably the cause of the trich as well. I'm going to get my sgfc cleaned up and sterilized for the cakes.

Some of the fruits that were starting to turn dark on the cap were starting to rot inside. Wasn't looking good.

Well its a learning experience thats for sure.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation