Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMeowMix96
Retarded Demi-god

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Do you believe in soul mates? [Re: ChellePepper]
    #14324686 - 04/20/11 07:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm... Nope. I don't believe in a soul either.

Haha, I kid.... I do believe in a soul, but I think it's along the lines of soul contracts with certain people.
Karma as a balancing force... if you will.
Most of these relationships are just for the learning benefit of the two people.
This is all just what makes sense with my life experiences and I may change these beliefs if I have different life experiences.

I think the feeling of a soul mate though is just overall really good chemistry. The way two persons blend or bounce off of each other.
Theres always more fish in the sea.

--------------------
The road goes on forever and the party never ends......

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

Re: Do you believe in soul mates? [Re: MeowMix96]
    #14324701 - 04/20/11 07:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MeowMix96 said:
Hmm... Nope. I don't believe in a soul either.

Haha, I kid.... I do believe in a soul, but I think it's along the lines of soul contracts with certain people.
Karma as a balancing force... if you will.
Most of these relationships are just for the learning benefit of the two people.
This is all just what makes sense with my life experiences and I may change these beliefs if I have different life experiences.

I think the feeling of a soul mate though is just overall really good chemistry. The way two persons blend or bounce off of each other.
Theres always more fish in the sea.

I agree kind of with this.

OfflineTrustYourSelf
Stranger
    #14325306 - 04/20/11 10:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ChellePepper said:
I think there is a difference between "feelings" and unconditional love and trust.

From someone like me to go from a self absorbed individual to someone who would give their life for someone, says something about an connection that goes beyond physical attraction or common interests.

I've been with him a year and half.  We've lived together for almost all of that.

Do you go from being self absorbed to giving your life because of him? That sounds more obsessive than healthy. Unless you're just trying to say you grew as a person. But you shouldnt feel that way just because you're in love with someone.

OfflineChellePepper
Stranger
Female

Re: Do you believe in soul mates? [Re: TrustYourSelf]
    #14325345 - 04/20/11 10:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TrustYourSelf said:
Quote:

ChellePepper said:
I think there is a difference between "feelings" and unconditional love and trust.

From someone like me to go from a self absorbed individual to someone who would give their life for someone, says something about an connection that goes beyond physical attraction or common interests.

I've been with him a year and half.  We've lived together for almost all of that.

Do you go from being self absorbed to giving your life because of him? That sounds more obsessive than healthy. Unless you're just trying to say you grew as a person. But you shouldnt feel that way just because you're in love with someone.

I shouldn't care about more than myself because I'm in love with someone? Thats just what happened.  I wanted to be with him more than I wanted to be alone, which was previously my plan.  I don't see how thats obsessive. And, yes, I've grown as a person. I am a much better person than I was 2 years ago. I know several people who would vouch for that.

And it is beyond just being in love.  Hence, the soul mate thing. I don't think they are the same thing.

Offlineshroomnymph
big mamma
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #14325403 - 04/20/11 10:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i read this once and it stuck with me

Quote:

Aristophanes presented a story about soulmates in The Symposium by Plato. It states that humans originally consisted of four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces, but Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half to complete them.

OfflineTrustYourSelf
Stranger
    #14325411 - 04/20/11 10:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I shouldn't care about more than myself because I'm in love with someone? Thats just what happened.  I wanted to be with him more than I wanted to be alone, which was previously my plan.  I don't see how thats obsessive. And, yes, I've grown as a person. I am a much better person than I was 2 years ago. I know several people who would vouch for that.

And it is beyond just being in love.  Hence, the soul mate thing. I don't think they are the same thing.

You're not understanding what i was  trying to say. You should care about more than yourself. But it shouldn't be because you're so "in love" with this guy. It should be because you're not selfish for the sake of being not selfish. Not because you really like someone.

Are you with him so you aren't alone?

Thats good you've grown as a person. In what way is it "beyond just being in love"? Maybe you just weren't "in love" in past relationships? What makes him your soul mate besides the fact you love him and you both get along together?

OfflineChellePepper
Stranger
Female

#14325575 - 04/20/11 11:03 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TrustYourSelf said:
Quote:

You're not understanding what i was  trying to say. You should care about more than yourself. But it shouldn't be because you're so "in love" with this guy. It should be because you're not selfish for the sake of being not selfish. Not because you really like someone.

Are you with him so you aren't alone?

Thats good you've grown as a person. In what way is it "beyond just being in love"? Maybe you just weren't "in love" in past relationships? What makes him your soul mate besides the fact you love him and you both get along together?

Umm...Why not? As corny and cliche as it sounds, he makes me want to be a better person. And I wasn't completely selfish. I cared for my family and friends and made selfless sacrifices for them.I would put my personal needs aside if they needed me. But never for a man I was dating. NEVER. Even the ones that I was with for years. I just held myself higher than them on my priorities. Not saying I was better, they just couldn't make me want to give up the lifestyle I had already laid out for myself.

I'm not with him so I'm not alone. I wasn't alone before I met him. Actually, I was dating someone. I've always maintained a pretty steady line of suitors. And could have married at least two of them.

I'm with him because we are partners. We work together on everything in our relationship. Everything is 100 percent from each of us. We don't point blame when there is a problem, we just fix it. We know when the other is hurting without having to ask. What I lack in character, he makes up for. And vice vera.  When we solve a problem it is logical and insightful. It isn't just love, we are two parts of a whole.

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures Flag
    #14325968 - 04/21/11 12:54 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I believe two people can have a degree of compatibility and synergy that is truly exceptional, but I do not believe in the concept of 'soul mates' as something that exists objectively for all of us to find. There's plenty of logical contradictions I can think of with the concept, kind of like reincarnation. Most relationships will hover somewhere around average, think a nice bell curve. Some will be outliers and it isn't hard to see why people would perceive their partners as soul-mates in such instances. I reckon it's mostly about timing, luck, and the degree to which you avail yourself to the fishes of the sea. Maybe I've just taken to many stats classes to ever see this idea in a romantic light though...

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Do you believe in soul mates? [Re: shroomnymph]
    #14326156 - 04/21/11 02:22 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shroomnymph said:

Quote:

Aristophanes presented a story about soulmates in The Symposium by Plato. It states that humans originally consisted of four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces, but Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half to complete them.

Me gusta. Notice the operative word "condemn." 

As in a lifetime of searching. All to no avail...

= tragedy

--------------------

Edited by fbi365 (04/21/11 02:23 AM)

Invisiblepotgrrl
Tripper Grrl
Female

#14326369 - 04/21/11 04:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TrustYourSelf said:

What?  Does this mean we should all care for Joe X on the street the exact same way we care for our lovers, friends, children, Mom?  That we should "take a bullet/help bury a corpse" for a complete stranger as well as our loved ones who have proven they're worthy of our dedication?

Or am I mis-reading? 

We're all inherently selfish beings, we all think from our perspective, and everything we do, even for another, is to gratify ourselves in some way.  Even when we martyr ourselves, it's for our own personal gratification, but others sometimes benefit from it.

I challenge you to tell me one thing you've done that isn't inherently selfish, in fact :smile:  I'll bet I can find the ego gratification you got from it, even though others probably DID benefit from your sacrifice.

--------------------
Everything is arbitrary.  (me)

OfflineTrustYourSelf
Stranger
Re: Do you believe in soul mates? [Re: potgrrl]
    #14327189 - 04/21/11 10:52 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not with him so I'm not alone. I wasn't alone before I met him. Actually, I was dating someone. I've always maintained a pretty steady line of suitors. And could have married at least two of them.

I'm with him because we are partners. We work together on everything in our relationship. Everything is 100 percent from each of us. We don't point blame when there is a problem, we just fix it. We know when the other is hurting without having to ask. What I lack in character, he makes up for. And vice vera.  When we solve a problem it is logical and insightful. It isn't just love, we are two parts of a whole.

I'm saying you should be good for the sake of goodness. If he brings out you wanting to improve yourself thats good. If you're being good to be with him or to show him you're good than its mercenary, not goodness (IMHO).

I think you're missing the point on aloneness. I'm not saying there weren't other guys. I'm saying did you get tired of being alone? Do you date so you aren't alone? You seemed to enjoy aloneness but you ran into someones arms.

What makes him your soulmate? I've been in a similar situation as you. Completely loved a girl. We were each others opposites. We worked together amazing. We lived together for awhile. 2 years in it all fell apart, we don't talk anymore. The whole time we thought we were "soul mates" when it fell apart it just hurt that much more.

I'm not saying he isn't your soul mate. I'm just curious how you know. It just sounds like you're in a good relationship. A relationship better than past relationships, but still just a good relationship. I guess it feels different too. But i had all the same things you describe, and it just fell apart years later. I hope it lasts for you.

Quote:

What?  Does this mean we should all care for Joe X on the street the exact same way we care for our lovers, friends, children, Mom?  That we should "take a bullet/help bury a corpse" for a complete stranger as well as our loved ones who have proven they're worthy of our dedication?

Or am I mis-reading?

I challenge you to tell me one thing you've done that isn't inherently selfish, in fact :smile:  I'll bet I can find the ego gratification you got from it, even though others probably DID benefit from your sacrifice.

Well in a completely ideal world we should care about every last person. But if you do this today you'll just fuck yourself over because everyone is a selfish bitch.

I think you should put more time into friends/family.

I see the game in the challenge you propose. I'll play.

Lets say
1) I don't believe in a personal self
2) I believe everything is lila

Can any of my actions be selfish?

Invisiblepotgrrl
Tripper Grrl
Female

#14327451 - 04/21/11 12:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TrustYourSelf said:
Well in a completely ideal world we should care about every last person. But if you do this today you'll just fuck yourself over because everyone is a selfish bitch.

Hee hee my thought is that EEPS, there are 9 billion people on the planet (heck, over 600,000 people in the city I live in) and 24 hours in a day!  Do I have time to pee? :smile:

Quote:

I think you should put more time into friends/family.

I see the game in the challenge you propose. I'll play.

Lets say
1) I don't believe in a personal self
2) I believe everything is lila

Can any of my actions be selfish?

Tell me more about why you believe these things, and why you believe this, versus something from a different culture (ie: Zen or a native shamanistic culture for example).

(PS: Cool, I hadn't heard of lila before but I love Wikipedia...)

--------------------

Edited by potgrrl (04/21/11 12:11 PM)

OfflineTrustYourSelf
Stranger
    #14327602 - 04/21/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

1) What is the self? The best answer i have found is "nothing"

2)
Quote:

Brahman is full of all perfections. And to say that Brahman has some purpose in creating the world will mean that it wants to attain through the process of creation something which it has not. And that is impossible. Hence, there can be no purpose of Brahman in creating the world. The world is a mere spontaneous creation of Brahman. It is a Lila, or sport, of Brahman. It is created out of Bliss, by Bliss and for Bliss. Lila indicates a spontaneous sportive activity of Brahman as distinguished from a self-conscious volitional effort. The concept of Lila signifies freedom as distinguished from necessity.
—Ram Shanker Misra, T

I believe life is experience, for the experience. I just find in my life i see certain hindu concepts manifesting.

Invisiblepotgrrl
Tripper Grrl
Female

#14328117 - 04/21/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TrustYourSelf said:
1) What is the self? The best answer i have found is "nothing"

2)
Quote:

Brahman is full of all perfections. And to say that Brahman has some purpose in creating the world will mean that it wants to attain through the process of creation something which it has not. And that is impossible. Hence, there can be no purpose of Brahman in creating the world. The world is a mere spontaneous creation of Brahman. It is a Lila, or sport, of Brahman. It is created out of Bliss, by Bliss and for Bliss. Lila indicates a spontaneous sportive activity of Brahman as distinguished from a self-conscious volitional effort. The concept of Lila signifies freedom as distinguished from necessity.
—Ram Shanker Misra, T

I believe life is experience, for the experience. I just find in my life i see certain hindu concepts manifesting.

Experience is gratifying on its own, is it not?

Especially since you tend to steer yourself towards experiences that you desire, and away from experiences you wish to avoid... Surely you look before you cross the road, for example - and you try to walk barefoot on the part of the beach that doesn't have the broken bottle on it...

--------------------

Edited by potgrrl (04/21/11 02:57 PM)

Invisibleshroomedalice
frog goten

#14328875 - 04/21/11 05:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

why do I belive ?

a good question.

probably one I would not share in open forum though it is probably
one of the right questions I think.

something are only possible when one finds there soul is about
all I can say here.

I have to agree with some of the negative responces here as well.

I dont think every one has a soul mate.

but then again I dont think every one can find there soul either.

as some may say some peoples blood is stronger at this kind of thing
than others.

a key I think can be found in our dreams.
often people dream of people they are to meet before they
even know them.

some times when people meet its like a shift in reality.

hence all the songs singing of love at first sight.

is this the recoginition of a soul mate ?

Im not talking of lust either but love.

for my self love takes years but still I hope.

still what ever we do when it comes to other people takes
work and understanding.

weather they be a soul mate or not.

if one is loosing the spark in there relasionship then I would
probably say that only work on both parties side will bring it back.

romance is a very important thing for relasionships and it doesnt
come from honey im ready lets go for it.

can make it hard though when your working to support people to even
find the time to put the work into romance.

but it is important in my mind to find the time.

to be poor and romantic with the right person I think makes for a
better life than rich and aleinated in your own home.

the questions of how to make a friend love me like a lover I think
is personaly sick and very very selfish.

why would you want to make some one feel anything unless you curve
away from the light :smile:

yes there are many paths but the question is which one will do you
well and which one will do you harm.

take scientology for an instance or even maisonary.

to use that gift for self gain is against the most fundamental
rules of the gift in the first place.

never use it to harm others or for self gain.

when your making some one feel something your effecting there
soul.

the same rules should apply.

OfflineTrustYourSelf
Stranger
Re: Do you believe in soul mates? [Re: shroomedalice]
    #14329580 - 04/21/11 07:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Experience is gratifying on its own, is it not?

Especially since you tend to steer yourself towards experiences that you desire, and away from experiences you wish to avoid... Surely you look before you cross the road, for example - and you try to walk barefoot on the part of the beach that doesn't have the broken bottle on it...

I do believe in doing things solely for the experience.

I don't steer. I get myself into all kinds of shit good nd bad.

Invisibleshroomedalice
frog goten

Re: Do you believe in soul mates? [Re: fbi365]
    #14331188 - 04/22/11 12:44 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shroomnymph said:

Quote:

yep I like that :smile:

I could even see were there comming from.

I think it might be more of a metaphore though of a soul/mind
meld than actual four limbed humans.

Edited by shroomedalice (04/22/11 01:16 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, Shroomism, automan, yogabunny, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
1,331 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 15 queries.