Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Why do we even NEED Heroes, icons etc......
    #1430926 - 04/05/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Seriously though, it seems to me that most people need someone/something outside of themselves to look up to/revere. It could be a religious figure or a philosophical one........a sports person/musician/hollywood figure. What if they were all to turn out to have feet of clay? as do we all(imo). What if we were born and raised without the notion of "superior individuals" or GR8 minds.(i realize that this would be to deny "knowledge" of what has gone on B4 but since we as a species don't seem to learn much from our past mistakes would this really be so bad?)....Sure we would be withought the wisdom of a Budda, or a Jesus, or a Plato or a deli lama, but what good has that knowledge done us anyway when considered on a macroismic level.....would life be in anyway diminished  or transformed if we were to discover that there WERE no GR8 men, not in the past, not in the present or EVER(which would take away the hope of any "Messiah" coming back to earth to save us).....and if so, how would life as we know it today be altered? All responses are welcomed :smile:*

i had this post ready to go earlier but the universe conspired against me and forced me to retype :grin: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Why do we even NEED Heroes, icons etc...... [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1430984 - 04/05/03 08:41 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Be your own hero

--------------------

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #1431972 - 04/05/03 06:04 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

An excellent post FreakQ. My opinion is that heroes are there to show the way but ultimately be transcended. Its a matter of taking the virtues exemplified forward into the future that counts. Heroes are teachers by example and I feel my life would be the poorer without them. I'm not saying that anyone or anything is beyond scrutiny, that is an illusion to me, but people who I've "idolized" have helped me make positive gains in this life that I might not have made, or might have taken years to figure out on my own. You could say that is weak or unnecessary but that is not my experience, as always to each his own.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Invisiblesunyata
nonexistentexistentialist
Re: Why do we even NEED Heroes, icons etc...... [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1432048 - 04/05/03 06:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I totally agree with you, AislingGheal. Neitzsche said that in order to know what it is each of us is meant to become, we should look for the traits that attract us in the people we admire, because these are potentials in ourselves that are waiting to be developed. I think my life would also be poorer without the examples of those whom I've "idolized", although I think that's a bad word to describe my realtionship to these teachers because it implies that I am not ready to, as you said, transcend their teachings should that ever become necessary.

As far as what FreakQ said regarding whether our world would be any worse off without the examples and accomplishments of the "great minds" as it were, well of course we can never know for sure. But all the great accomplishments of humanity have only been accomplished by building on the work of those who came before. If we were incapable of carrying these sorts of memories forward with us as a society, perhaps we would never have left the idyllic garden (if there ever was one), but clearly that was not the path we are meant to be taking as a species. Can't deviate from the Tao, as they say...

Nice post, btw.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Why do we even NEED Heroes, icons etc...... [Re: sunyata]
    #1432634 - 04/05/03 10:47 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Great people should be identafied by their society so that the society can grow. A society without great people is a society of mindless slaves.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #1433087 - 04/06/03 07:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

We need heroes, we need someone to set the bar, and give us something to live up to. The only problem is movies, and the way they are marketed to kids. Agent Cody Banks may seem like a lot of fun to a little boy, as is Harry Potter, but these movies today show that a superhero doesn't have to be everything, they can be just like you. The problem with this is that while it helps everybody's self-esteem, it still denies kids the escapism that hero movies once provided. Kids used to build up their imagination upon bigger-than-life heroes, hoping one day to be like them, but now their fantasy is about living their life normally. With fantasy like this, who needs reality? Is it a government conspiracy?

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Why do we even NEED Heroes, icons etc...... [Re: IamHungry]
    #1433397 - 04/06/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The Matrix i thought was a pretty good inspirational movie... i was in 8th grade. it was right on time for me :smile: .

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds