Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesgtshroom
soldier
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Texas
Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking
    #6699436 - 03/22/07 02:16 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

I live in the humid, cow infested woods of North East Teaxs. For years me and my fellow psyconauts have hunted and harvested the magical fruits growing in our neighboors pastures. I can only assume the mushrooms would be of the mexican or texas strain. They are pretty potent depending on where the were picked from. I am currently experimenting with indoor cultivation. I am growing mycelium on rye seed from an online vendor. The strain I am growing is Ban Nathon from Thailand. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of the potency of my native wild shroom compared to the ones I am cultivating? One would assume my indoor cubies might be stronger, but how much so? I am going to be ...ingesting... with my girlfriend who has twice experienced the powers of my native friends. I would like however to know if she should take far less homegrown than I would give her wild. I suggested myself experimenting solo to pinpiont a good dosage before she partook. She quickly shot that idea down. So if anyone has any thoughts to my plight, please let me know.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHobosapien
Mushmage

Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: sgtshroom]
    #6699454 - 03/22/07 02:24 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

hmmmmmmmmmm. your in a very enviable position.

i myself have only taken hunted fruit on one occasion and the dose was not accurately weighed...

this leaves my opinion on THE matter useless, however your experimenting with a strain i have all lined up, therefore the question is equally interesting for me. i am curious to hear of your successes and the resulting verdict.

keep us posted.

Godspeed.

--------------------
[img][url=http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/07-13/511364480-allseeingeye.gif]

Offlinecookeman
Live and let live
Male User Gallery

#6699471 - 03/22/07 02:31 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

I believe that wild fruits are generally less potent than homegrown simply because in a good home grown setup all the nutrients the mushrooms need is plentiful. Whereas in the wild, shrooms usually pop up here and there and they're usually much smaller than indoor grows because of the lack of nutrients and ideal conditions. Genetics plays a huge part too though. So if you get a weak substrain in either situation it's just a shitty situation you can't do much about unless you can do agar work.

--------------------
“Let’s put it this way – to lump psychedelic mushrooms into the same group as methamphetamine is like lumping the Bible into the same group as Mein Kampf.
I mean shit; they’re both books, right?”

Joe Rogan

R.I.P. - "Bones" - One of the greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know and become friends with.

OfflineHobosapien
Mushmage

Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: cookeman]
    #6699483 - 03/22/07 02:34 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

cute cat.

--------------------
[img][url=http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/07-13/511364480-allseeingeye.gif]

Offlinesgtshroom
soldier
 User Gallery

Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: Hobosapien]
    #6699733 - 03/22/07 03:40 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

Also I ould like to note that the Ban nathons I am growing are with the "Homestead Books EZ-Grow kit" I realize that this kit especially is overpriced but I got more money than time so... I don't think that it will matter, potency wise, that they are grown from a kit. If anyone would disagree please do so. My main concerns are (a)What will the yield be like from my Kit experiment, and (b)What will the potency of this strain be compared to the only mushrooms I have ever had. Now that being said People I have shared my wild cubes with who have also had different strains have told my my local buddies are not weak by any means. I generally give newbies 8-10 fresh caps and watch them totally lose it. I myself however, have on several occasions ingested upwards of 25-30 fresh caps resulting in total ego breakdown and almost complete breach with reality. Fun stuff. My local shrooms don't always bring it with intense visuals but the body load is out of this world. I am hoping this Ban Nathon strain will bring me the more intense visuals that I look for as an experienced psyconaut. Please throw me some comments.

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #6699958 - 03/22/07 04:58 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

Greetings fellow Texan. My subjective response is that cultivated cubensis are regarded as more potent in general. Having grown my own in the past and hunted pastures hundreds of times before that, I almost always found my cultivated mushrooms to be of higher potency weight for weight. The actives in cubensis are water soluble so if you go out hunting mushrooms that have been exposed to heavy rain, there's a good chance that loss of potency can occur, no matter how minute. Just my opinion on the matter.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: SuperD]
    #6699963 - 03/22/07 05:01 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

I will never forget the time a friend of mine washed our freshly hunted mushrooms trying to clean them off with a water hose, using a strainer. :eek:  Needless to say, we hardly tripped at all from them.  I was inside while he did that or I would have stopped him. :lol:

--------------------
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinesgtshroom
soldier
 User Gallery

#6700221 - 03/22/07 06:21 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

I love the hunt. It's one of my favorite things, but do to drought I can only assume the past couple of years I've noticed a extreme reduction in the number of wild shrooms in the area. thats what got me thinking about cultivation. I hastily bought this kit out of desperation. Sinse I bought it I have done as much online research as possible. I now realize that i'm not too stupid to grow them in any one of the techniques I have read about. The Tek's on this site and many others are just great and very easy to understand. I'm thinking about taking some of the inoculated rye seed from my kit and using it the spawn some PF cakes. I'm hoping I can make the best of my speedy purchase and grow beyond the parameters of my kit.

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #6700236 - 03/22/07 06:26 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

I am an avid hunter, but I don't eat cubes out of the field, there is that much more of a difference.
As to yeilds, what is the substrate and how much? Doesn't take much, if all goes as planned, you'll probably get about a years worth.
As to the desired effects, ya gotta leave that to chance. I've had a few batches (on hpoo even) that were just about 0 0n the visuals, still good. I've had a b+ on uncle benz with some of the most intense visuals.
Field cubes just feel different to me, seems like the sensation fluctuates alot throughout :shrug:

Orrissa India is my favorite. :mushroom2:
Sounds good with the transfer, go for it :thumbup:

GL

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineFrosty_Storm
Wandered off inwonderland
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #6701629 - 03/23/07 12:42 AM (17 years, 29 days ago)

SPeaking of strain potency, I am just now growing the very forgiving B+ strain as my first grow, and I am wondering what strain I should move on to next. Some of them are really interesting and when I move to where I can feel safe displaying them I want to grow some of the more interesting ones in a decorated terarrium of sorts (Fishtank / trippy posters/ possible black light). On the other hand I also want a strain that I can hammer out in a bulk substrate.

--------------------
Shrowded in an angelic white veil of darkness
~Frosty Storm~

Offlinesgtshroom
soldier
 User Gallery

Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: Frosty_Storm]
    #6702368 - 03/23/07 08:09 AM (17 years, 28 days ago)

I'm obviously not the person to listen to but I keep hearing good things about the Golden Teacher strain. I could be wrong but it is one I am considering for future projects.

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6702389 - 03/23/07 08:16 AM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Strain is moot to some people, but FWIW my Golden Teachers did well, Penis Envy is fun to watch grow, and my Koi Sumi Super Strain (sp?) colonized and grew much quicker than the others.

They were all grown on the same substrate at the same time.

EDIT: Here's a pic of my nicest GT cake. :flowstone:

Edited by RoosterCogburn (03/23/07 08:23 AM)

Offlinesgtshroom
soldier
 User Gallery

#6702428 - 03/23/07 08:36 AM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Thanx man but one question... what is this green stuff in the picture?

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6702447 - 03/23/07 08:45 AM (17 years, 28 days ago)

That's a green sharpie marker I used to label which cake was which.

The green line you see in the pic is the "T" of "GT" written on a tinfoil covered CD, which I used to seperate the cake from the Perlite.

EDIT: This pic is before I used CD's... That's actually just a piece of tinfoil. :smile:

Edited by RoosterCogburn (03/23/07 08:46 AM)

Offlinesgtshroom
soldier
 User Gallery

#6702469 - 03/23/07 08:58 AM (17 years, 28 days ago)

I'll have to remember that in the future. thanx for the pionter

--------------------

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #6703745 - 03/23/07 04:14 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
The actives in cubensis are water soluble so if you go out hunting mushrooms that have been exposed to heavy rain, there's a good chance that loss of potency can occur, no matter how minute.

Is this correct? Anyone? If so PNW Cyans, Beos, Semis and, Azures are pure Nitro.

Here in the PNW during the prime picking months it rains and pours the shrooms are tiny and pack a Wallop. I have eaten a 1/4 or more of great home grown Cubes and had a wonderful time. I have eaten 2 grams of Beos that had been in the rain a week + and had a near Death Experience

Up in this neck of the woods nothing beats Mother Nature!

Respect,

IHS

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #6703773 - 03/23/07 04:24 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Well, psilocybin/cin is definitely water soluable. I can only attest to personal experience that cubes I've gathered after heavy rains have always been very weak in comparison to those picked that haven't been exposed to heavy rain. Would love to hear others' input and opinions as well however. It may have just been a coincidence but it happened multiple times over the years. I eventually stopped picking them if it continued raining throughout the week. Mainly because I already had enough of a supply to last me until a field produced more at a later time.

I envy you IHS, wish I could get a hold of some of the PNW actives. Maybe some day I'll make my way up there. Those species you listed are definitely more potent by weight regardless of rain or no rain, so that may also be a factor.

--------------------
Manoa said:

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #6703809 - 03/23/07 04:44 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

I must say I learn something new on the Shroomey everyday. My reason for reply was not to boast about the PNW strains. I never knew that the reason for the degradation of potency the Psilocybe species undergoes in the wild is because of water solubility. I thought it was due to oxidization. Meaning the active ingredient just decomposes with the fruiting body. I had no idea it washed off.

If you ever get up this way look me up. I'd be glad to be your tour guide.

Respect,

IHS

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: Strain Potency? Indoor cultivation VS. Wild picking [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #6703860 - 03/23/07 05:19 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

No worries here, I didn't take your post as you boasting at all.  I would have to agree oxidation would also play an important role in degradation of potency in wild specimens, along with the other factors that mother nature controls.  There are no doubt cases in which wild specimens have been more potent than cultivated but I'd say the majority would be the complete opposite (speaking of cubensis only).  I'll gladly take you up on that offer if I do make my way up there, which I will eventually :thumbup:

--------------------
Manoa said:

Offlinevelvetmagician
Brewer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere
    #14318616 - 04/19/11 05:15 PM (13 years, 12 hours ago)

Are these Golden Teachers?

--------------------
Q: How many Micheal Jackson's does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: NONE, he screws kids!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale