Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars?
    #1431694 - 04/05/03 06:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hello!

I'm still an unexperienced mycologist (in fact, i'm not sure if I do deserve this title yet) but so far, I made around 11 jars following the basic PF-TEK. I made 7 jars the first time and 4 the second time.

When I prepare my substrate, I use 1/2 Verm, 1/4 BFR and 1/4 water (I also remove excess water if needed).

I have an incubator where my jars are stored in dark at 84F.  After a couple weeks, I flip the jars and remove the tapes on the 4 holes.

I lost around 5 jars with contamination (i know that my techniques could be still easily improved). 

My point is that with the 6 uncontaminated jars left, the fastest one was 100% colonized in 8 weeks!! Most of em takes 10-12 weeks to fully colonize.  It is said in most faqs I read that a cake will fully colonize in optimal conditions in 3 weeks.  I know that optimal conditions are hard to achieve so that's why my objective is to get 100% colonization in 5 or 6 weeks.

As far as I  know, the most important factors for this are :

1- Temperature around 84-86F
2- Dark place
3- No contamination
4- Flipping  jars after a couple weeks and removing tapes.

I follow these and still can't get a 5-6 weeks colonisation rate. It's around 10-12 weeks!!

I do have patience and it's ok as long as I get some good cake at the end.

But how can i expect some better results?

thanks... :confused:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1431763 - 04/05/03 06:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Another variable that affects the colonization speed in the PF tek is the size of verm used. My friend has noted that while fine verm is better at water retention, it also colonizes more slowly than the larger diameter verm.

Place your substrate loosely in the jars. Packing it down will slow things considerably.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars? [Re: dog]
    #1431786 - 04/05/03 06:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

How big are your jars? Eight weeks for a quart jar is pretty good.

Also, too much water seems to slow things down.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

OfflineMetaMountain
New hand

Loc: FromSoFarAwayYouWontBelie...
Re: Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars? [Re: dog]
    #1431810 - 04/05/03 07:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Dog has the problem pinned.....
Quote:

Another variable that affects the colonization speed in the PF tek is the size of verm used. My friend has noted that while fine verm is better at water retention, it also colonizes more slowly than the larger diameter verm.

Place your substrate loosely in the jars. Packing it down will slow things considerably

asides temp...this is the most common error i usually colonise my jars in 3 weeks..i pack them like dog says and use medium grade verm (only one available here  :laugh:

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars? [Re: MetaMountain]
    #1431966 - 04/05/03 08:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey,

I use 250 ml jars (that's half-quart ?)

Yeah, I also knew that I must not pack the substrate so when I prepare my jars, I just fill them without packing at all.

I don't know what kind of verm I'm using. The bag says class 3 vermiculite but I don't know if it's related to the size.

I remember seeing a faq somewhere with some pics of different kind of vermiculite. I should find this back and see if I could get some larger verm.

Maybe I should try to use a little less water and then use the dunk tek when it's time to birth to make sure shrooms will get enough water to get full maturity!

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1432284 - 04/05/03 09:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

fine verm is fine if you get your water content right
as a matter of fact kramer says it is better for invetro substrates

yes after you get it all mixed up feel it :shocked:
if it feels wet it is too wet remember that your gonna be putting more water in.
you want it to feel moist oh ya nice and moist
thats why kramer loves his wbs :laugh:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars? [Re: george castanza]
    #1432336 - 04/05/03 10:16 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you have a pressure cooker just move on to grains or popcorn and case.  It's not hard, and it may save you another 3 months.  Some people may say that you should master this first, but maybe you would have better success with a different tek.  Remember insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. :wink:

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Advanced Tips for a faster colonization with BRF jars? [Re: ClosetCase]
    #1432586 - 04/06/03 12:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

THIS DOCUMENT has awsome tips for speeding up jars. They are mentioned in the adaptations section.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation