Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
50/50 tek
    #1429489 - 04/04/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

my friend recently made a few casings using 50/50 verm/peat moss. he didn't add the crushed oyster shell or CaCO3 to it. he waited two days and went to patch it, but noticed there was very little mycellial growth in all three trays. there were a few spots in each one where some mycellium had grown onto the top, but that wAs all. he has never used this tek before (only used potting soil And pure verm in the past) and was wondering how it well it works compared to other casing layers. usually by 48 hours with potting soil he would notice considerably more growth.

another thing he was wondering about is the acidity of peatmoss. many people seem to recomend using a pH buffer with it. is peat moss more Acidic than potting soil? does it require more of a raise in pH? any feedback would be greatly Appreciated.

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: E Tard]
    #1429498 - 04/04/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The only way to be certain of your casings pH is to buy a test kit. They're cheap.

My friend says that in his experience coir/verm tends to be much closer to neutral than peat/verm.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineDim
The Embodimentof the Conceptof Fuck

Loc: some terrifying, cold, im...
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: dog]
    #1429573 - 04/04/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yes, peat moss is acidic... I actually did a titration with peat-water in chemistry class. I selected a few different brands for consistency and found that they were all fairly acidic. Don't give up on peat though... you can buffer it with crushed limestone and a variety of different substances. I personally like peat; it is (literally) dirt cheap, mixes well with other things, and has a nice smell to it...

good luck bro.

--------------------
"Once a nation bases its security on an absolute weapon, such as the atom bomb, it becomes psychologically necessary to believe in an absolute enemy." - P.M.S. Blackett

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: Dim]
    #1429620 - 04/04/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

does this mean someone would find it even more difficult to use peat than plain potting soil? My friend always ran into problems due to contamination with potting soil and was hoping to step around this by switching casing layers. is the pH going to be a significant factor? i already made my casings so adding the buffer now isn't an option, is it? thanks for the help man

--------------------
I am not stoned.

OfflineSailcheese
Farmer
    #1430876 - 04/05/03 06:28 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Don't use plain potting soil! Put the peat and verm togethe, make sure you by hydrated lime flour (Horicultural grade) Buy a tester! MIx all your stuff together including the oyster shells which do act as a buffer in the long run but will not change the acidity of peat because though very basic, the shells are obviously not water souable. Thats why hydrated lime flour is critical and a tester is too. Its a seems tedious at first but just add in a little bit of the lime and test, then repeat, you'll eventually get a feel for it

Didn't I already write this

Mescaline does weird things to people at 7:45 am

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: Sailcheese]
    #1431336 - 04/05/03 12:45 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the advice and im sure my friend will use it in the future. however, what about the three trays he's already made without using the pH buffer? will these still work out alright? does anybody have any experience with just peat and verm?

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Anonymous

#1431419 - 04/05/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

verm with peat without a buffer will probably be too acidic and may promote mold growth or diminish the crop. you can use straight verm or coir if you don't want to fuck around with pH buffers. they're very beneficial though, and it's not rocket science.

mycelial wastes are also acidic. a good casing includes a pH buffer, but it'll work without one, just don't use peat.

your casings will probably be alright, but they'd have been better with a pH buffer.

Edited by mushmaster (04/05/03 01:15 PM)

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: ]
    #1431442 - 04/05/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

alright thanks a lot. it's not that my friend is afraid of using a pH buffer - in fact it's just the opposite. given his lack of positive results in the past he's itching to try new things that may help him out. anyway, he had problems getting to the store to buy large chunked oyster shell and calcium carbonate and since his jars were already getting a bit old he decided to go ahead and case Anyway. well, i guess he'll just have to wait for the future and see what happens. thanks for the help

just one last quesiton...what would be more recommendable - a verm/coir mix alone or peat/verm with pH buffer?

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Anonymous

#1431459 - 04/05/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

you can use pretty much any combination of coir, verm, and peat, but if you use peat, it's especially important to buffer it. i think the actual material is a matter of personal preference. coir is easy to work with and sterile. verm and peat are cheap and available (jiffy mix)... i don't know. check out the grow logs... look what people are using and the results they've been getting. try out different stuff. you may as well try a coir\verm or straight coir mix first. it's simpler than 50/50+.

why have you been failing in your attempts at growing? what problems have you been running into?

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
    #1431532 - 04/05/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

the main problem is contamination. in the past i was able to see why it happened and what it was that shouldn't have been done. however, lately i've been rather stumped. i posted my latest setup in the contamination forum to see if anyone could point out something i did wrong that could have brought on the contam but i havent gotten any replies. maybe it was more of a cultivation question anyway.

i used to have more contam in the jars than should be seen, but now i havent seen a contaminated jar in a long time. After i got past that it seemed that while the casing was colonizing the contam would hit. now that's not the problem - it's after i initiate pinning. i keep getting one step further but i can't seem to be able to see where im bringing in room for contamination anymore. it always hits as i have a nice pinset forming and im expecting to harvest in just a few days...i just can't seem to get past the contamination. ive been trying to cultivate on and off (keywords) for over 3 years now. i've only gotten maybe 5-6 casings created (besides the 3 going right now) but each one of them ran into problems with contam (excpet one that my ferret got into...). it's really disheartening to fail time and Again, especially when you're running out of ideas as to why you're failing. id hate to double-post A thread, but i guess if my post in the contam forum doesn't get any replies soon then ill post it in this forum. it'd probably fit more here anyway.

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Anonymous

#1431538 - 04/05/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like you need to clean things up a little. i think your air is real dirty. get a HEPA filter for the room.

with casings, there are a few major considerations.

1. water content
2. pH
3. structure

you get them right and it'll be fine. i do think that your air is wicked dirty though. get the right water content and pH of the casings, combine it with proper exchanges of fresh clean air, and you'll do well.

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
    #1431578 - 04/05/03 02:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

well as for the last two trays that got contaminated, the Air is deffinately a viable option. i live in a college dorm room and im not exactly the cleanest person in terms of living conditions. however, i had the cases inside a larger, plastic tray used for storing clothes. whenever i fanned i sprayed lots and lots of lysol before i opened it up. however, the container itself deffinately isn't air tight so contamination would still be able to penetrate. the first case got contaminated two, maybe three days after i tried to initiate pinning. this second tray lasted A much longer time (7-8 days) and i was much more careful in dealing with it.

well, i guess there's always room for more sterility. luckily i normally do all my work at my friend's apartment and that is much cleaner than my dorm. hopefully with a bit more practice things will look better. thanks A lot for the suggestions you gave. ill put them to use

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1431599 - 04/05/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This may get some folks fired up , but it is possible to get a crop with out altering the ph of peat based casings . Yes peat is slightly on the acidic side of the scale , but you can and will get mushies either way , the yield may not be as big as one would like , but none the less mushies will grow , in fact the ones that do , and are harvested as print makers will have offspring that will do well in the same conditions .
Good Luck
PS Peat on an average has aprox a PH reading of 3-5 .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: tripndicular]
    #1431633 - 04/05/03 03:08 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Very true, in fact this crop came from a flush w/o the addition of any buffering or ph adjustment additive:

But, dude has recently been getting more green than wanted in his casings, and the addition of lime certainly does help.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: Olgualion]
    #1431639 - 04/05/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Most likely is not the acidic conditions causing the greens . Do not forget spring has sprung and all sorts of nasties are in full bloom , making all of us more frequent to contams of some sort .
Nice crop ....... though ! :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: Olgualion]
    #1431645 - 04/05/03 03:15 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

thanks a lot - that really boosted my confidence. i remember before i learned about 50/50+ i still saw a lot of good things about plain 50/50. anyway there are still a few more jars colonizing so the addition of oyster shell And CaCO3 will deffinately be applied in the near future.

hopefully there will be better luck with these current casings than i've had in the past...they're going to be in a cleaner environment to begin with, and im sure pasteurized peat/verm stands a higher chance at beating contam than unsterilized potting soil. thanks for boosting my spirit guys - hopefully someday soon i'll be rid of my misfortunes and able to use my experience to help people like myself

--------------------
I am not stoned.

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: tripndicular]
    #1431650 - 04/05/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Most likely is not the acidic conditions causing the greens . 

ha, if only i was able to blame all my problems with green on acidity...  :crazy:

--------------------
I am not stoned.

OfflineRobbyrob
Cubensis seeker

Loc: Earth
    #1446097 - 04/10/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

WHAT is the oysters job in here.. i see that the lime help bring up the ph but what is the shells for?

rob

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: Robbyrob]
    #1446161 - 04/10/03 10:16 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

If fine enough to become soluble in water, oyster shells act as a buffer just like lime. A friend has used a casing mix with coarse shells and gypsum for pH, everything worked well.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
Re: 50/50 tek [Re: no-tone]
    #1446166 - 04/10/03 10:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

In addition to raising the pH, coarse shells give the casing layer and irregular consistancy making great little crooks and nannies and what not.

I guess it also makes harvesting easier.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies