Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepuff4200
Natural born lever puller

Oven drying
    #14310992 - 04/18/11 08:55 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I've been searching now for a little while on oven drying but I can't seem to find a definite answer about it. I've noticed some people say oven drying is good and some say not to do it. I was wondering if anybody here uses an oven drying method to dry out there booms, and if so could also tell me how exactly they do it or on the flipside if someone has good evidence of why someone should not oven dry that would be welcomed too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePerun
Mahapralaya...
Male User Gallery

Re: Oven drying [Re: puff4200]
    #14311016 - 04/18/11 09:04 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Some say heat kills psilocin(that might be true with very high temps)but i think that oven drying is just fine! 99% of a time i use air drying(fan),but somethimes when in rush i use oven with no potency loss! I put them in,set the oven on minimum,crack open the oven door and put the fan in front of it(facing inside).

--------------------
First:                                                        Then:

Invisiblepuff4200

Re: Oven drying [Re: Perun]
    #14311021 - 04/18/11 09:07 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

you use fan drying for the whole thing? I usually fan dry for roughly 24 hours then put into a container with some damp-rid, but damp-rid is beginning to cost a little to much. I always thought a fan wouldent get them 100% dry though they always feel leathery to me after fanning

OfflinePerun
Mahapralaya...
Male User Gallery

#14311040 - 04/18/11 09:12 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I do same thing as u do...fan and then dump-rid! It works fine with silica gel too and is cheap as hell! :smile:

--------------------

Offlinebbt0009
Stranger Lover
Male User Gallery

#14312124 - 04/18/11 01:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I put a batch of B+ in the oven a few years back and my low setting was too high.. we ate them and nothing happened. Pretty shitty experience. Now I let them fan dry for a few days.

--------------------
It was all a dream...

OfflineSlightlyStoned
On a Mission From god
 User Gallery

Loc: between a rock and a hard...
Re: Oven drying [Re: bbt0009]
    #14312145 - 04/18/11 01:41 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

dood dont use heat when you dry. i mean theres a chance it wont have too much of an affect but psilocybin is a very unstable chemical.

--------------------
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Great minds discuss ideas, mediocre minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

The number of times I edit my post is directly related to the number of times I've hit the bong.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

Loc: I'll be where I'm at
Re: Oven drying [Re: SlightlyStoned]
    #14312160 - 04/18/11 01:44 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I tried to oven dry it seemed i lost potency and the shrooms all turn brown from the heat and that was with the door open and the oven on its lowest setting:shrug:

Fuck the fan get a dehydrator

Invisiblepuff4200

Re: Oven drying [Re: UnnamedGrower]
    #14312469 - 04/18/11 02:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

doesn't a dehydrator use heat to dry the material also though? I actually am about finished drying them in my toaster oven I guess I'll figure it out when its finished. I just set the toaster oven to 150 and i checked the temp and its not even that hot its only doing 140 so I'll report back with what happened.

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14312496 - 04/18/11 02:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yes it does use heat on the most part(there are models you can turn it off on, or even disconnect the heat source)  I have never noticed potency loss due to a dehydrator

Invisiblepuff4200

#14312570 - 04/18/11 02:41 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm a little confused, if both an oven and a dehydrator use a low amount of heat why is the oven so bad? seem like as long as you have a method to remove the humidity in the oven all would be well

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Oven drying [Re: SlightlyStoned]
    #14312582 - 04/18/11 02:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SlightlyStoned said:
dood dont use heat when you dry. i mean theres a chance it wont have too much of an affect but psilocybin is a very unstable chemical.

Dood u r sooo wrong. :tardpig:

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #14312587 - 04/18/11 02:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The thing about a dehydrator is that it is moving air because yes it is heated but there is a fan to blow the warm air around..  Where an oven your using still hot air to dry/cook your shrooms..

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14312588 - 04/18/11 02:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

puff4200 said:
I'm a little confused, if both an oven and a dehydrator use a low amount of heat why is the oven so bad? seem like as long as you have a method to remove the humidity in the oven all would be well

:shrug:  All I know is that when i used the oven the mushies were not that good and I have never had that issue with a dehydrator

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#14312598 - 04/18/11 02:44 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

puff4200 said:

cuz lowest setting on the oven is 250 which is a lot higher than the max on the dehydrator which is usually around 150.

So as guy above noted, you can leave the oven door ajar and get some air goin thru there and you'll be golden.

--------------------

Invisiblepuff4200

Re: Oven drying [Re: anonjon]
    #14312613 - 04/18/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well this is real good info thanks for all the responses.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14312614 - 04/18/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Personally I would fan dry or buy a dehydrator..  Those are the best 2 ways I have found for drying cubes..  But give the oven a shot and see what happens :shrug:

Invisiblepuff4200

Re: Oven drying [Re: Damion5050]
    #14312629 - 04/18/11 02:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There actually in the oven and about dry, I'll know tomarrowish

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14312646 - 04/18/11 02:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

How long do you plan on having them in there ?

My dehydrator does them in about 4-6 hours.  And that is 5 trays full of them..

Invisiblepuff4200

#14312657 - 04/18/11 02:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

they've been in there for a couple hours or so already and about done, I should add I fan dried them prior to this its just to humid to get them totally dry with that method which is where this dilemma came from. I imagine they'll take a minute though looks like its a few zips dry. If they get messed up it will be sad but my second flush is coming in right now anyways so not a huge lose.

Edited by puff4200 (04/18/11 02:56 PM)

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14312674 - 04/18/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You should be find then..  You shouldn't get any potency loss because honestly I cook my shrooms into food sometimes and they are just fine.. As long as you don't allow them at extreme temps for extreme times your potency should and will stay the same..

Invisiblepuff4200

#14312691 - 04/18/11 03:00 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

no they'll never reach high temps I have them in a toaster oven thats 140-150 on the inside (not the oven reading my own personal oven thermometer reading) with the door cracked open to allow the humidity to exit. They haven't turned any weird colors, no excessive bruising or browning.

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14312707 - 04/18/11 03:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Loc: the universe, the milky w...
    #14312914 - 04/18/11 03:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I had a whole shit load of mushies. I had cookie sheets sitting in front of or below fans all over my house. My parents called me and said that they were coming over that day for dinner.

I immediately filled my oven with as many cookie sheets as it would hold, left the door ajar, pointed a fan at it and waited about 15 minutes. I did this until all of my shrooms were dry.

I ended up with about a pound and a half of dried shrooms. I tested them the next day and found out that I had ruined a pound and a half of mushrooms. They had no effect whatsoever :feelsbadman:

--------------------
Open mind, open heart, open book.

OfflinePerun
Mahapralaya...
Male User Gallery

#14313272 - 04/18/11 06:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

anonjon said:
Quote:

puff4200 said:

cuz lowest setting on the oven is 250 which is a lot higher than the max on the dehydrator which is usually around 150.

So as guy above noted, you can leave the oven door ajar and get some air goin thru there and you'll be golden.

YUP! Open door and my huge fan in front of it...work gr8!

--------------------

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Loc: The Downside of Up
    #14316451 - 04/19/11 10:19 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I split my stems down the middle and remove the caps when they are partially dried, then I sit them directly on my box fan. They are cracker dry in less than 2 days that way unless they are super huge then I have to split the stem in half twice. Fan works fine for me but it wont get them cracker dry unless you cut the stem in half no matter how small they are, they get a tough skin when the outside dries, I guess keeping it from releasing the inside moisture.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Oven drying [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #14316483 - 04/19/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This is what I mean about half assed advice Enigma. You come along after the good advice and say that you can get shrooms cracker dry with just a fan. Well maybe if you live in a very dry climate, but generally speaking, it's bad advice. If you half-assed dry your shrooms they will not keep long at all.

--------------------

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

#14317272 - 04/19/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Nobody asked what you thought anon, I stated that I split the stems down the middle after they are partially dry from fan and they finish drying to cracker dry the second day on the fan. I then check them one by one by snapping the stem at the top where it takes longest to dry and put them in a sealed container with food grade desiccant packs. I get my mush dry with a fan, it isn't the best choice, but it works.

Quote:

3n1gm4 said:
I split my stems down the middle and remove the caps when they are partially dried, then I sit them directly on my box fan. They are cracker dry in less than 2 days that way unless they are super huge then I have to split the stem in half twice. Fan works fine for me but it wont get them cracker dry unless you cut the stem in half no matter how small they are, they get a tough skin when the outside dries, I guess keeping it from releasing the inside moisture.

Quote:

anonjon said:
This is what I mean about half assed advice Enigma. You come along after the good advice and say that you can get shrooms cracker dry with just a fan. Well maybe if you live in a very dry climate, but generally speaking, it's bad advice. If you half-assed dry your shrooms they will not keep long at all.

Quit harassing me, I now have another screenshot of you rude behavior towards me and if you keep it up your ass will get banned for good without me even sending a screenshot because a admin will read your replies to my posts and we will have another vacation from you. Read the rules. Quit being a jerk and answering my post with non informative degrading banter and act your age. I have no problem with you except that you keep harassing me and your constant negative comments towards me.

http://www.shroomery.org/6284/Administrative-Rules-Guidelines

On Harassment & Respect:
Harassment of other members will not be tolerated at the Shroomery, and may result in an immediate ban depending on severity. If you have a problem with another member, please make your peace with them or simply keep your distance. If you cannot behave in a respectful manner, keep your words to yourself. Failure to comply will result in administrative action at the sole discretion of the staff. All members are encouraged to PM a moderator or administrator with relevant information if they cannot resolve their conflict privately.

So just don't talk to me unless you can keep you rudeness out of it and stay on the topic.:carl:

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

Edited by 3n1gm4 (04/19/11 01:03 PM)

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

#14317392 - 04/19/11 01:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

BTW I have tried the oven on low, but when you crack the door and point a fan at it, the oven never gets to temp so the heating element just stays on and keeps getting hotter so I pulled them out before I ruined them and sat them on the fan to be dissected later, and they will be cracker dry in a few days.

I agree that a dehydrator is the best option, I just don't have one.

I find it kind of hard to believe that fanning them and then placing in desiccant chamber would dry the middle of the stems because of the skin that forms on the outside when the outside dries first. Wouldn't the desiccant have to draw the moisture from the inside through the dry part to absorb it? Don't know have never tried it, I might test one or two out with it to see if the desiccant dries the middle of my stems as good as cutting them in half and fanning.:super:

--------------------

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#14317423 - 04/19/11 01:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not harassing you so you can quit with your ridiculous threats to tell on me. :blowme:

--------------------

OfflinePerun
Mahapralaya...
Male User Gallery

#14317438 - 04/19/11 01:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------

InvisibleLuger0815
noob
Male

Loc: @ Home
    #14317742 - 04/19/11 02:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by Luger0815 (07/04/11 11:40 AM)

Invisiblepuff4200

Re: Oven drying [Re: Luger0815]
    #14318299 - 04/19/11 04:07 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I fan dried them for 24 hours then dried them in the toaster oven set at 150 with the door cracked open no discoloration occured on a couple of the big ones seemed to discolor just a bit but nothing horrible look the same as when I used damp-rid. I didn't get to sample them yet but they look like they always have so I'm gunna have to imagine they'll be alright I'll report back if theres any issues

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Mycosphere( Blessed C...
    #14318344 - 04/19/11 04:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

anonjon said:
Quote:

puff4200 said:

My oven and most in my area start the temp at 150°f.

Quote:

healing said:
I had a whole shit load of mushies.

I immediately filled my oven with as many cookie sheets as it would hold,

I ended up with about a pound and a half of dried shrooms. I tested them the next day and found out that I had ruined a pound and a half of mushrooms. They had no effect whatsoever :feelsbadman:

I am curious if you had tested these before, were they MS?
It may be possible it was just bad genetics or "Set & Setting":justdontknow:

Quote:

3n1gm4 said:

I agree Great job and good advice 3N1gm4:super:
I used to dry with a fan as well but it does take time.

I also have tried other methods
like putting them in a nylon mesh paint strainer
in desiccant, I have even buried them in it...lol

I have never used a dehydrator for fruits yet...:shrug:

What worked for me the best was setting
my oven on the lowest setting which is 150°f.

What happens is the thermostat will kick on if it drops below 150°f

Downsides to oven drying have been expressed as:

Potency loss
blackening of the fruit body's

I remedy the blackening part like this
the cardboard absorbs the heat and
keeps the fruit that golden color
The foil deflects heat...

I use this to check the temps

here is what they looked like
after using my oven drying Tek
Nice and golden:grin:

A) I had 2 friends that took my oven dried...
person a was experienced and claimed to have high tolerance
person b had never "tri[[ed" before....

They each took 16 grams of my oven dried...I was not present and disagreed with the obvious mis-dosage

person a said he tripped for an hour and that was it
person b said he tripped "hard" for an hour and passed out and went to sleep

10 other friends said they were "awesome"
and had a great time normal potent trips reported all across the board....

heres a quote from another post that might help

Quote:

Barakanaten said:

Smokin jesus titty cinnamon! you just opened up a whole can of worms here, many many many n00bs, novice, TC's and old hands alike have been using heat for years. I have read posts dating back to 10 years ago. The really really safe and proven drying temp is 95F which many cheap dehydrators have that setting which makes them cheap wich is a bonus for us.:grin:

there are a few different sides to this argument and regardless of the arguments about the sciance it is now widely accepted and confirmed that dehydrators are tits and especially at the 95f mark and all the way up to 145-150f'ish.

the other side to that is that having the fruit bodies exposed to air for the length of time it takes to air dry is a major concern to loss of potency, some people think its the oxidation over time or evaporation or whatever..but the point is I doubt you will find a post complaining about potency loss do to a dehydrator other than n00blets who have a bunk MS crop or messed up somewhere else down the line.

the open part of this whole thing is the question as to at what point in degrees f/c the
Psiloscybin is broken down as a result of the heat, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? YES! but does it matter for practical use like drying shrooms, not really because dehydrators can be found for cheap and have been reported to be fine for years and years now.

So the conclusion is we need more studies on the melting points or break down of potency but for what we do here the matter is concidered closed by many many experienced cultivators as to is a dehydrator a good way to go without any noticable loss of potency. meaning nill or marginal.

:lol: and here we goooo....

:sunny:

Go to the hunting forum and most folks there swear by newspaper and a fan:shrug:

Go to MC and its all about the Dehydrator:shrug:

If I had the money to build one like in my sig I would
but for now i personally like the oven, I see nothing wrong with it..

Heres a post after I tested the fruits of my labor

Quote:

Barakanaten said:
I have the biggest smile on my face right now bro...:grin:

I just ate some yummy noms..:chew:...:lol: I feel all glowey and fuzzy

Lm, I better take this to PM but I have lots to talk to you about, Especially the synchronicity of life
and just how wonderful it is, I am totally just kicking back and pondering the wonderful thing that is the shroomery and what it has become and what it has done for me and so many other people

you know man, were not just avatars or a sig,
your not just the Leopard in a box in the corner of my screen

Were real people out her doin it man, were doin the thing you know
We are on this big beautiful stage of life,
playing out our roles
trying to hold on to the part we play, stall just long enough to enjoy the sound of the crowd,
the smell in the air, the taste of life..
before the credits role, before its curtains and we have to bow out

but for that moment, for this moment, the moment we all share, as one, but pretend is ours

Will we live that moment for ourselves with avarice?
Or will we live with charitable hearts and lift each other up and forget our differences and remember......

Will we ever remember?....will we remember where we came from...or what we were
I am trying to so desperately to get back to where I was,

to where I was before the schism,before the ego before the schism and ego that was foisted upon us,
dividing me into parts....parts that I cannot seem to pick up fast enough to make the puzzle complete

I fear We will spend our days picking up the pieces to this puzzle, with only hopes, hopes that maybe someday just before they call us back...maybe we will see the truth.......

:mushroom2:

:omgawesome::lmafo:

If that isnt the post of man trippin ballz then I dunno:grin:

:trippnballs:

Hope something useful was gleaned from all of this.

FYI: the dung dealer over at Mycotopia has been oven drying
and running back to back tests for years
and way before anyone who has posted in this thread ever registered here..
were talking like ten years experience and tests....
his conclusion...150f is is fine and even above is just marginal potency loss

Marginal=Acceptable, not worth mentioning:super:

:sunny:

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:New to cultivation? :sunny: Have a Question?:mushroomgrow:
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
:blueangel:
Official PNW Mushroom Hunting Season 2011
"...Though in all else he may be as Saintly as St. Francis, in the pursuit of these ends he is more
Satanic than Satan. He will betray his nearest and dearest without the slightest twitch of flesh or spirit.
He is amoral."
-Definition of a mushroom hunter by ~Angelo Pellegrini
:gallery: :omgawesome: :gallery:

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Oven drying [Re: Barakanaten]
    #14318383 - 04/19/11 04:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I should add that I leave the door to the oven all the way open
and just put the fan on the door and point it right at it:super:

--------------------
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
"...Though in all else he may be as Saintly as St. Francis, in the pursuit of these ends he is more
Satanic than Satan. He will betray his nearest and dearest without the slightest twitch of flesh or spirit.
He is amoral."

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #14318447 - 04/19/11 04:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Enigma :heart: Anonjon :getstoned:

anyway..

oxygen = bad :thumbdown:

heat is fine to a point, I personaly wouldnt go above F160*ish ever but my plug and play dehydrator runs at 130F +/-*5.:stoned:

drying quickly and completly is the key, I dont care how its achieved, store out/away of the light/oxygen for long term storage. :sun:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Oven drying [Re: 13shrooms]
    #14318491 - 04/19/11 04:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:

anyway..

heat is fine to a point, I personaly wouldnt go above F160*ish ever but my plug and play dehydrator runs at 130F +/-*5.:stoned:

drying quickly and completly is the key, I dont care how its achieved, store out/away of the light/oxygen for long term storage. :sun:

:werd:

--------------------
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
He is amoral."

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

#14318603 - 04/19/11 05:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:

anyway..

:facepalm3: LOL @ anonjon

About to :getstoned:

So are you saying that it is bad that it takes me two days to dry them or just long term exposure to oxygen?

--------------------

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #14318622 - 04/19/11 05:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

long term exposure is bad. :sun:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

#14318839 - 04/19/11 06:04 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

anonjon said:
I'm not harassing you so you can quit with your ridiculous threats to tell on me.

Once again I am trying to be nice and ask you to stay on the topic and you send rude off topic comments. I don't have to tell on you, you answer every post you see of mine with a rude harassing remark and eventually admin will notice what you are doing and you will get booted just like you did last time for flaming. I am done with it though, you can act like a child if you want, I will just ignore all the stupidity and stick to the topics even if you make rude comments and give untrue information about my posts being wrong.

Normal, room-temperature air can extract a considerable amount of water from the fruits. By placing them in front of a fan you increase the air circulation and help speed up the drying process. This is the same principle as drying your laundry. It dries a lot faster on a windy day than on a day with no wind.

Fan drying is also a faster process that drying with desiccant so you end up speeding the process up considerably.
For those of you lucky enough to live in climates with dry enough air (Relative humidity or RH below 40%) you might not even need to use desiccant as you may be able to achieve cracker dry mushrooms with just fan drying. If after 48 hours of drying in front of a fan the mushrooms are not cracker dry you will need to put them into a container with desiccant.

TIP: Even if your mushrooms appear to be cracker dry after fan drying there is often some residual humidity inside them and they will soften up a bit after a few days in storage (not good). It is a good idea to either store the fruits with a bit of desiccant or pop them in a desiccant chamber after fan drying for a few days just to make sure you have got every little bit of water out of the fruits. http://www.shroomery.org/10615/Desiccants-and-drying

This may be the case for whole mushrooms but the cap always dries first, if you wait for the cap to dry(12-24 hours), cut the stem long ways in half and remove it from the cap, and then place it all back on the box fan with the cut part of the stems facing down if possible.(A wire cage, like a window screen folded to keep them from falling into fan is a good idea unless you like fishing out stems from your box fan.)

This method of drying with a raised box fan blowing up works allot faster with a heat source under the fan, but it is taking two days instead of one now that I am not running my heat with the fan over the vent. Using this method with no heat takes me about 48 hours. It is always a good idea to store your shrooms with a food grade desiccant pack even if they are cracker dry.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14318863 - 04/19/11 06:07 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:picard:

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Loc: the universe, the milky w...
    #14319774 - 04/19/11 08:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Barakanaten said:
Quote:

healing said:
I had a whole shit load of mushies.

I immediately filled my oven with as many cookie sheets as it would hold,

I am curious if you had tested these before, were they MS?
It may be possible it was just bad genetics or "Set & Setting":justdontknow:

Nope, cloned fastest growing pin from the previous grow. I always save a little bit of fresh mushrooms for myself (I love fresh mushrooms :smile:) and those were potent.

Two of my friends and I each took 2-3g of the oven dried shrooms. None of us felt anything.

--------------------
Open mind, open heart, open book.

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven drying [Re: Barakanaten] * 1
    #14320131 - 04/19/11 10:04 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Barakanaten said:
I should add that I leave the door to the oven all the way open
and just put the fan on the door and point it right at it:super:

The heat issue stopped worrying me after I made tea.

212 F and :tripping:

I have a lot of fruits to try and used about 5 grams to
make tea.  Golden Teacher...well named.  ;0)

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven drying [Re: Javadog]
    #14320358 - 04/19/11 10:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Javadog said:
The heat issue stopped worrying me after I made tea.

212 F and :tripping:

JD

:yesnod: boiling water :super:

--------------------

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

#14321456 - 04/20/11 03:21 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I stopped using the oven when my stypes bled blue stripes from the stems and got all rubbery and squishy. Box fan on 4 quart jars does me good, wish I had a heat source that wasn't a light. I would point it under the fan and speed things up!

--------------------

InvisibleUnnamedGrower
The AMUiest
Male User Gallery

#14321558 - 04/20/11 04:27 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

3n1gm4 said:
I stopped using the oven when my stypes bled blue stripes from the stems and got all rubbery and squishy. Box fan on 4 quart jars does me good, wish I had a heat source that wasn't a light. I would point it under the fan and speed things up!

Dont worry about using a light bulb.  Before I got a dehydrator I used an old clu case with a computer fan and light bulb in it.  It worked wonders on drying my goodies out

Edited by UnnamedGrower (04/20/11 04:36 AM)

Invisiblepuff4200

#14323226 - 04/20/11 02:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I tested them, definitely magical did my normal dose got my normal trip I don't think it changed them in anyway, I would have to imagine that it helped that i fan dried them for 24 hours before hand they were already partially dry leathery but it was to humid for them to get all the way there. Point of the matter I'll probably be using this method more often seems to work.

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
    #14323306 - 04/20/11 02:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, well..if i used only a box fan and a light bulb
i'd have a lot of rotten shrooms. worked ok in arizona,
not so much in ohio.

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Re: Oven drying [Re: bbt0009]
    #14324951 - 04/20/11 08:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bbt0009 said:
I put a batch of B+ in the oven a few years back and my low setting was too high.. we ate them and nothing happened. Pretty shitty experience. Now I let them fan dry for a few days.

I just slice the stem down the middle when they are half dry and spread eagle the stypes right on the grill of the box fan, the small pieces go on a convenient square in the middle with less upward air. They dry faster if the middle of the stem is exposed. I also break the stems into 3-4 pieces when they are cracker so they will be easier to weigh and eat.

I am about to put a 100W light in one side of this and some poly or a SFD in the other side to block the light and make a drying box, I used sticky putty around rim to help get a good seal.
The tube concentrates the fans air pull just like a skirt on a radiator fan.

and I am also trying the convection toaster oven again at near the lowest setting this time instead of 150F with the "shroom" mostly dry and I will let it preheat forever.

--------------------

OfflineMadLabRat
Stranger

#15827528 - 02/18/12 11:57 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I got one of those little toaster ovens with a temperature setting that goes all the way to zero. I know its kinda random but watcha think?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract