Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSickShroomer
Retired Shroom Master
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
First Time WBS
    #14303808 - 04/16/11 10:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well A foaf had me help them with there WBS today. The only thing is we couldn't soak it over night.. We just rinsed it really well, then dumped boiling water over it and let it simmer for 3 hours, adding more hot water to keep it hot. It looked pretty wet when we PCed it @ 15psi for one hour.. Any thoughts?? I've done alot of rye but my first time with wbs. Have 7 quart jars shot up with B+! Send good vibes my way. Any comments? What are my friends friends chances of contams bc of lack of soak??

Post pics in a week or 2 letting them colinize around 5 days before i even look.

--------------------
Going to miss the PNW gatherings.

I'm not here trying to make anyone feel stupid or to make myself feel good by putting ppl down. I am just here to help fellow shroomerites in there grows. I do this to keep my own knowledge fresh, and to help everyone succeed!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: First Time WBS [Re: SickShroomer]
    #14303921 - 04/16/11 11:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Suboptimal grain prep. Next time do a three step soak, simmer, strain. and always use a wire mesh strainer with WBS.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineSickShroomer
Retired Shroom Master
Male User Gallery

Re: First Time WBS [Re: Doc_T]
    #14304230 - 04/17/11 12:55 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I read a few teks, and I kinda went with the Simmer tek, also from looking at the grain for simple minds looks like it should work.. Like I said if this was my grow, I would of used rye with the 24 hour soak as i have done in all my previous spawn runs, i have amazing results with that stuff! I'll just cross my fingers and hope. As far as the moisture content, i think my wbs is the perfect moisture. But i am worried about endospores. Will incubating it at a lower temp discourage baddy growth?? Its going to be incubating at about 71 - 72 for the first week until we get the heat pad next week.. Can't wait to see how this goes!! Sorry if I'm rambling, just very excited about getting back to what i love to do.

Feel free to rant and rave about WBS grows that you didn't soak overnight if anyone has had any success, and i know at least a few ppl have!!

--------------------
Going to miss the PNW gatherings.

I'm not here trying to make anyone feel stupid or to make myself feel good by putting ppl down. I am just here to help fellow shroomerites in there grows. I do this to keep my own knowledge fresh, and to help everyone succeed!

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #14304270 - 04/17/11 01:06 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I"ve done this many times with good results.:mushroom2:

I started ouy soaking my grains for 24-36 hours , straining and then PC'ing . I switched to a 3 hour simmer and got the same results as soaking .

Peace,Love and Happiness

:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #14304698 - 04/17/11 04:54 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I don't soak any grain for longer than 12 to discourage all that extra endo-spore germination that occurs after the first 2 hours of the soak, doubling every 2 hours for as long as the soak is allowed. 

Include a proper boil/simmer step in the preparation of WBS to be loaded into jars for sterilization and WBS won't need to be soaked for longer than 24 hours to become properly hydrated.

No moisture pooling on the bottoms of containers after the WBS has been sterilized is a symptom of proper moisture content.  The lower end of the colonization temperature range is more of an idea temperature for the growth of mushroom mycelium at the same time being an unideal temperature range for the germination and growth of invader spores.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Edited by liquidmyce (04/17/11 05:01 AM)

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #14304893 - 04/17/11 06:51 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I still use THIS method and it still works for me. eatyualive and several other members here use that method with great success also. You don't need to soak for the sake of avoiding contamination. Endospores don't need to germinate, they need to be killed in your pressure cooker.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time WBS [Re: FooMan]
    #14304924 - 04/17/11 07:10 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It makes endo-spores easier to knock back by sterilization if you first germinate them from your grains since there's no such thing as 100% sterile medium. 

I'm not saying your grain prep tek don't work and agree that soaking is not needed for the sake of avoiding contamination.  It's just best to soak your grains to germinate the endo-spores from them so there's less endo-spores in the grains to be knocked back by the PC form the beginning, as well as, to gain that slow hydration that comes from longer grain soaking periods.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinedrosmoka
Stranger

Loc: Titletown
Re: First Time WBS [Re: hamloaf]
    #14305106 - 04/17/11 08:43 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Gonna try this later this week.  likewise my first time with WBS.  wish meh luck!

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time WBS [Re: hamloaf]
    #14362870 - 04/27/11 06:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hamloaf- My only contamination issues with WBS prepared that way have been due to contaminated inoculant and I've literally cooked several thousands of pounds of WBS like that. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky or it's because WBS grains are smaller and easier for the steam of a PC to penetrate than rye. I actually had far more contamination issues when I would soak my WBS overnight. And man, if you've ever smelled WBS that was left to soak for too long you know it isn't anything nice! :puke:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag