Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Fighting back against the government
    #1430060 - 04/04/03 10:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well, there are lots of ways to fight against tyrannical oppressors. I'm not too fresh on my history, but I think for the depth I'm going to be going into this what I say will be true for practical purposes.

So, colonies got mad at Britain. Canada very slowly weaseled their way from under British rule by treading lightly away for a really damn long time. We were practically free from them for a lot longer than we were completely independant on paper. The paperwork took a long time to get done. Similiar to how things are going with marijuana legislation. For all practical purposes, in some areas in the country anyway, marijuana is legal, but isn't so on paper. Police arrest growers and send them to court where they are not punished other than the confiscation of their grow equipment (this goes on in Vancouver). The people oppressing Canada's freedom to legalize marijuana are the Americans, and we're going to have to tread lighter and lighter in the future (so it seems).

In the USA, they wanted freedom from Britain so they got a whole bunch of weapons and soldiers and shot the fuck out of their oppressors. It was effective, although it did involve a lot of death, which could be seen as a downside.

And then there's India. I don't really know anything about them, which I realize now is a little disturbing. Their independance movement started and ended within a lifetime, unlike Canada's, and they didn't use guns, unlike the USA. What I like about Ghandi's independance movement is that you don't need military might to win. Wow.. that's pretty cool, and right now I'm pissed off that I wasn't taught about this in school. What a fucking joke the Canadian public school system is. Vanquishing your oppressors nonviolently is such an important skill for the poor, weak, and the badly armed, and I see all kinds of practical uses for it. I'm going to read about Ghandi. Anybody reccomend any books?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Fighting back against the government [Re: Dogomush]
    #1430102 - 04/04/03 10:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

How is USA stopping legalization in Canada? Don't the liberals and greens run things instead of republicans and fascists?

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

Re: Fighting back against the government [Re: Dogomush]
    #1430174 - 04/04/03 11:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Gandhi

the movie wan't too bad either, a little long, and a little hollywood, but hey, arn't they all?

--------------------
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." -Buddha
www.impeach-bush-now.org

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Fighting back against the government [Re: RadioActiveSlug]
    #1430232 - 04/05/03 12:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The USA is threatening Canada with econonomic sanctions.. or something.. It's hard to know exactly what they mean, cause they're being vague, but something about clamping down hard on our borders and slowing our economy. They're sending people like John Walters up to Canada to talk American propaganda. The majority of Canadians want at least decriminalization with a fairly good portion wanting full legalization, and yet our government is continuously stalling.. why?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion