Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlineurbanwolf
Male

Loc: Universe; TX
Re: Chicago Schools banning homemade lunches... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #14293594 - 04/15/11 12:32 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

CLASS WAR

--------------------
"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that, an unjust law is no law at all.” -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"Seek not abroad, turn back into thyself, for in the inner man dwells the truth." -- St. Augustine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNormal Flora
Female

#14294631 - 04/15/11 09:01 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
3 grams is 3 grams but 22 grams is still a shitload but now what I find
even more shocking is the gatorade, soft drinks and energy drinks, I
challenge you to find me a nutritionist that says any of those is a
healthy part of a balanced diet, I can show you many that will say these
things can lead to obesity, they really have no place int he schools

Agreed.  I would think, at the VERY least energy drinks would be banned from being brought to school.  Those things will make you tweak out!    :crazyeyes:

Quote:

if the school year starts without the flavored milks I guarantee the milk sales will start higher
and remain high throughout the year

:brilliant: I may have to suggest that! Although, I'm personally not one to compromise. I can't stand plain white milk.  While I was preggo, my nutritionist told me to at least drink chocolate milk if nothing else.  My son, however, loves white milk.

Quote:

add cheese and you have 600mg of sodium, add in the bun and you kick it up
another 200mg so you're almost back to the level of the pizza and a an
normal amount of salt in a diet is between 1000mg-2500mg

We don't add cheese to our sandwiches (other than the philly steak that's served once a week and the chicken/marinara/mozzarella was just an experiment) We have quite a few lactose intolerant children, so we try to not add cheese where it can be left out.

Quote:

one of my biggest problems is that so much of the dietary guidelines are put together and provided for by the packing industry, they lobby the FDA to make their foods available, as was stated it's about the $$$

Agreed again. I know for a fact that our director would like to have more choices, especially more local choices (I interviewed her for my speech communication class:grin:)

Quote:

I certainly cant trust Zartic or AdvancePierre foods to sell me the food and tell me they're really looking out for my health especially when
neither will list ingredients, processes or nutritional contents of their
products on their website and most of the hundreds of suppliers will
supply the information unless you're buying their products, it's on the labels

They don't even print it on the boxes honey! Yesterday, at work, I was gonna look at the nutritional values (just for yooooou:datass:) and get back to the thread, but they weren't fucking there.  I was pissed!  What if a parent come in and wanted that info? I'd be embarrassed to say we don't have it.  Our school system's main webpage has a link to our food service department, which then has a link to the nutritional info. So at least it's printed SOMEWHERE...

Quote:

when I was in school the food was cooked on the premises, most was still packaged foods like the potatos, fries, pizza and stuff, now I'm seeing prewrapped microwave junk like the uncrustables cheese or PB&J sandwiches, cases of pancakes, etc...

We do have quite a few things that are made. Our wheat rolls that are served with a lot of the main menu meals are made from scratch, the cinnamon rolls for breakfast are made from scratch, chili and taco soup is made in the school (the meats come frozen, but hey, at least it isn't ALL defrosted). We serve baked potatoes with steamed broccoli, spaghetti with green beans, and we serve beans and rice (brown) a lot as a side.  We add salsa, fresh cut tomatoes, onions, and green peppers. (It's delicious, too! I eat it all the time)

Quote:

my kids BTW, fresh meals every night, all made from scratch including the pasta, breads and anything else they're served, my waffles and pancakes start with flour, eggs, baking powder and milk. there's no TV dinners and the only reason there's a microwave is because it was included, I use it to heat water occasionally...

Props to that! I think this makes you a rare bird, sir!

I think instead of focusing solely on the nutritional content of school lunch(which I'm not saying EVERYONE is) they need to focus more on making kids more active.  They're already talking about cutting PE out of our school system.  It hasn't been done yet though...

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Chicago Schools banning homemade lunches... [Re: Normal Flora]
    #14294681 - 04/15/11 09:14 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This has sadly devolved into a discussion about what constitutes healthy eating when the real issue is authoritarian over-reach.  Maybe they should just confiscate the little children.  Zappa knows what the stupid fucking parents are feeding the poor little fuckers at home.

--------------------

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Chicago Schools banning homemade lunches... [Re: zappaisgod]
    #14295484 - 04/15/11 12:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I dont even know why people are discussing milk, its not even natural after a certain age. youve just been OWNED! boom. bam. a whammy bammy.

Well the government tells YOU what to eat. The food pyramid isnt even right. Its complete BS.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Chicago Schools banning homemade lunches... [Re: dshow]
    #14295544 - 04/15/11 01:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

They don't tell me what to eat.  Never have.  Michelle would be appalled.  Also jealous of my shapely glutes.

--------------------

InvisibleSamuel L Jackson
Bad Motherfucker
Male

#14295554 - 04/15/11 01:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
This has sadly devolved into a discussion about what constitutes healthy eating when the real issue is authoritarian over-reach.  Maybe they should just confiscate the little children.  Zappa knows what the stupid fucking parents are feeding the poor little fuckers at home.

isnt that the point of politics? to herd the people like cattle while making them think its for the best, and as a result taking the attention off the fact that theyre being herded?

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Chicago Schools banning homemade lunches... [Re: Normal Flora]
    #14295588 - 04/15/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Laurelei said:
Quote:

one of my biggest problems is that so much of the dietary guidelines are put together and provided for by the packing industry, they lobby the FDA to make their foods available, as was stated it's about the $$$

Agreed again. I know for a fact that our director would like to have more choices, especially more local choices (I interviewed her for my speech communication class:grin:)

one of the things a neighbor and I will be working on in the near future
is supplying the proteins and produce to the local school, a few schools
have already started moving this route and are learning that it actually
saves them money, some private schools and even a few law makers are
trying to make this move for the public schools. it's a real boost for
local economies and it allows for a better look with younger students at
where their foods come from...

http://www.ajc.com/hotjobs/content/eveningedge/stories/2008/10/30/local_food_lovett_cafeteria.html
http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x712226616/More-NH-schools-buy-locally-grown-food
http://oregoncapitolnews.com/blog/2011/03/10/lawmakers-look-at-funding-locally-grown-food-in-schools/

Quote:

We do have quite a few things that are made. Our wheat rolls that are served with a lot of the main menu meals are made from scratch, the cinnamon rolls for breakfast are made from scratch, chili and taco soup is made in the school (the meats come frozen, but hey, at least it isn't ALL defrosted). We serve baked potatoes with steamed broccoli, spaghetti with green beans, and we serve beans and rice (brown) a lot as a side.  We add salsa, fresh cut tomatoes, onions, and green peppers. (It's delicious, too! I eat it all the time)

baked potatoes weren't even an option when I was in school, in fact when I
was in 10th grade they decided to try a salad bar, it went over pretty
well with about 20% of the students opting for the salad, what I've seen
in the local school is most being heat & eat and the occasional made from
scratch foods like the days they do the pinto bean lunch, though that's
actually used to draw in parents

Quote:

Quote:

my kids BTW, fresh meals every night, all made from scratch including the pasta, breads and anything else they're served, my waffles and pancakes start with flour, eggs, baking powder and milk. there's no TV dinners and the only reason there's a microwave is because it was included, I use it to heat water occasionally...

Props to that! I think this makes you a rare bird, sir!

I think instead of focusing solely on the nutritional content of school lunch(which I'm not saying EVERYONE is) they need to focus more on making kids more active.  They're already talking about cutting PE out of our school system.  It hasn't been done yet though...

agreed, my kids are pretty active, both considered underweight for their
age but they're small kids by any standard, they had to check my son's
birth certificate to make sure he was old enough to go to school when he
first started. Phys Ed is one of the more important aspects of school
today because there's so many kids that dont get any activity after
school, parents letting the Xbox raise their kids or those that sit in
front of the TV or computer all day

Offlineeritas
ilovedrugs
Male

Loc: brooklyn NYC
    #14295601 - 04/15/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

not really relevant but i read this as chicago schools banning homosexual lunches
and i thought they were banning gay kids from eating
and i was like holy shit thats fucking horrible how the fuck is that legal what the fuck is wrong with this country

...i think i need to start getting more sleep

--------------------
heres to our lives being meaningless
and how beautiful it is
because freedom doesnt have a purpose

check out my art :smile:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14505741&page=0&vc=1#14505741
and my goggles and jewelry
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15209555

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Chicago Schools banning homemade lunches... [Re: dshow]
    #14295603 - 04/15/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dshow said:
I dont even know why people are discussing milk, its not even natural after a certain age.

what age would that be?

InvisibleSamuel L Jackson
Bad Motherfucker
Male

#14295613 - 04/15/11 01:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

dshow said:
I dont even know why people are discussing milk, its not even natural after a certain age.

what age would that be?

weaning. (im not sure of the "usual" age that occurs in nature, for humans)

as you age (assuming you got weaned off milk like happens in nature) you lose the ability to produce lactase (which is a major enzyme to digest milk).

people who are lactose intolerant lost the ability to produce lactase (as happens if you stop drinking milk at a young age) regardless of the fact that they continued drinking milk; or they stopped drinking milk for a while when they were a kid at some point, then tried to drink it again and realized they were fucked.

but now people pump themselves full of milk all the time throughout their life, so their body never gets the message to stop production of lactase. but it happens naturally if you stop drinking milk when youre a kid.

--------------------

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
Re: Chicago Schools banning homemade lunches... [Re: Samuel L Jackson]
    #14295617 - 04/15/11 01:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I think this is a good idea because the schools know what is best for the children and feed them accordingly.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#14295619 - 04/15/11 01:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SamuelLJackson said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

isnt that the point of politics? to herd the people like cattle while making them think its for the best, and as a result taking the attention off the fact that theyre being herded?

No, that isn't the point of politics and how can you be so sure you aren't being herded yourself?

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#14295641 - 04/15/11 01:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SamuelLJackson said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

dshow said:

what age would that be?

weaning. (im not sure of the "usual" age that occurs in nature, for humans)

worldwide that's about 4 years old, in non human primates it's when they
start getting molars at around 5-6 years old, in the US it's around the
age of 2 which is irrelevant given that many kids are never on the tit or
their mothers have to wean them at 6 weeks because they have to return to work

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#14295664 - 04/15/11 01:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

SamuelLJackson said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

No, that isn't the point of politics and how can you be so sure you aren't being herded yourself?

right, the point of politics is to dictate and control the actions of
other humans and to piss away billions of dollars while whining that they
need more money to spend... frankly, I want a divorce, I'm sick of being
married to a spendthrift congress

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order