Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDeej3987
Deej3987
 User Gallery
Casing questions
    #14278687 - 04/12/11 03:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I am using RR's casing mixture 10 parts verm & peat moss, 1 part gypsum, 1/4 part hydrated lime at field capasity..

I pasteurize for 60 minutes at 140-160F.. sometimes it goes over this temp.. would that put a rain on my parade for later use? I mean how bad is it if this happens bc I went ahead and used it anyways and have had successful flushes.. eventually I get contams, white/green mold.

After pastuerizing how long is the shelf life before I should pasteurize again? sometimes the casings will sit on the shelf ready to use for about a month at the longest..

I know when you pasteurize the casing mixture you are to cover the jars with aluminum foil. What if I just sealed the jars with the regular jar lids, would it still pasteurize the casing like it should? I know in one of the jar lids I would have to drill a hole so I can put the thermometer in it to check the temp.. do you think I would still need aluminum foil of I pasteurized my jars like this? and if this method works do you think it would extend the shelf life?

I don't believe my trays are exhausted yet, there will be 2 flushes then signs of green mold, even if I pasteurized the soil at the right temp and the soil was used after cooled down from pasteurizing.. this problem does not always happen after the 2nd flush, but thats the soonest it happens if it does.. any reasons I might not know as to why the contams are showing up?

Is there any other mixtures that make picking a lot easier? my shrooms sometimes rip up some of the substrate when I pick them... the substrate is rye grains right now, soon to be grass clippings or straw..

I think this covers all of the casing questions as of right now..

--------------------
My Trade List

Printing

All info I post about myself, what I am doing, and what I have done is fake; and therefore, holds no truth and can not be used to prove any previous action of mine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Re: Casing questions [Re: Deej3987]
    #14278775 - 04/12/11 03:57 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just make up the amount of casing that you need and use it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Casing questions [Re: Deej3987]
    #14278851 - 04/12/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If the temp goes slightly over 160F, don't worry about it.  Some guides advise pasteurizing at 170F, but in my experience that's on the high side.

It's best to only make up the amount you need, rather than pasteurizing twice, which could have a negative effect on the microbes you're trying to save.

If you manage a cased or uncased bulk substrate properly, you're going to have 80% or more of your potential product in the first two flushes anyway, so don't worry about mold after that.  You'll get more production from your real estate by having a new tray ready to go into the fruiting area just as you harvest the 2nd flush from the preceding tray.  You can mix the spent substrates into some manure in your flower beds and they'll fruit again all summer when you water.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDeej3987
Deej3987
 User Gallery
Re: Casing questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14278895 - 04/12/11 04:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If the temp goes slightly over 160F, don't worry about it.  Some guides advise pasteurizing at 170F, but in my experience that's on the high side.

It's best to only make up the amount you need, rather than pasteurizing twice, which could have a negative effect on the microbes you're trying to save.
RR

Id say the highest ive had the temp is 200F, but now that ive been better about watching it id say 180F the highest.. Is 180F to high, I mean what would happen in the long run ?

I don't know about microbes I will have to read up about them, but I usually don't even pasteurize a second time.. I just leave on the shelf until I can use it again.. bad idea? what do you think about just using the jar lids instead of aluminum foil, will it still pasteurize correctly?

--------------------
My Trade List

Printing

All info I post about myself, what I am doing, and what I have done is fake; and therefore, holds no truth and can not be used to prove any previous action of mine.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags