Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethrice
Stranger
Who keeps humidity high for pinning?
    #1395898 - 03/20/03 03:54 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Im curious who keeps humidity high until pinning is complete, and then drops the humidity for cropping? It seems to me a lot of people just keep it the same during the whole process. Thanks.

Also, is fanning twice a day good enough for compost/straw substrate cased? Thanks.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: thrice]
    #1395911 - 03/20/03 03:59 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

this guy i read about in a book kept the rh as high as possible after the case run, and continuing until pins have defined cap formation (when the cap is larger in diameter then the stem)

and 2 air exchanges per day will work, and do "fine", but for perfect mushrooms more air exchange = better... =)

-doc

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1396568 - 03/20/03 10:03 PM (21 years, 13 days ago)

i do. i have two terraria, one at 95-100%, and another at 90%. casing tubs more from one to the other. :grin:

--------------------
buh

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Trusted Cultivator
    #1396722 - 03/21/03 12:48 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

I don't really pay enough attention.. I just mist and fan.. mist and fan.. when it starts to pin I just fan, only lightly spray it if looks dry. I used to moniter this when I did casings in shelves, but since I do bulk in separate bins now, theres no way to moniter all the containers, so I just wing it.

I like to pretend I drop the humidity during cropping by not spraying. They still fruit.

--------------------

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1396766 - 03/21/03 01:12 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

A friend of mine is on his first grow.  He has cakes and a casing in a rubbermaid/perlite terrarium.. he's keeping the humidity the same... both the cakes and the casing seem to be doing well... stems might be a lil fat on the casing and might have mycelium crawling up them but this doesn't really bother him :smile: Hope this helps. 

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1396824 - 03/21/03 01:46 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Im curious who keeps humidity high until pinning is complete, and then drops the humidity for cropping? It seems to me a lot of people just keep it the same during the whole process.

Although you could technically optimize your yields by varying the humidity depending your casings' stage of development, most people find it's not worth the trouble. Your yields will still be near optimal if you keep things at ~90% RH. Also, if you have only one fruiting chamber and several casings at different stages, you pretty much have no choice but to pick one compromise RH and stick with it.

Good luck!

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: Diploid]
    #1396882 - 03/21/03 02:20 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Also, if you have only one fruiting chamber and several casings at different stages, you pretty much have no choice but to pick one compromise RH and stick with it.

This is one of the benefits of cold shocking! Keep them in the fridge until the last addition has been in for 24 hrs. Then put them all in the fruiting chamber. Keep air exchange and humidity optimal, and all of them should be ready for harvest within 6 hrs of eachother.

**Note** this will not work with multiple strains (unless they have very similar growth characteristics). Isolates work best! and strains showing little variability come in second.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlinepalmer
Stranger

Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: Olgualion]
    #1397742 - 03/21/03 06:58 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

i have a friend who used the alian tek for a grow chamber and seemed to have to much humidity with the perlite, hand spraying and water pump. the friend turned off the air pump when the mushrooms would start to grow but abort at about 5mm. a few did get nice and tall, but you can see over the hole of the casing there were alot of pins and very little yeild. :mad: was this the right choice, this friend started this a week ago and still there is not much change. how much is too much humidity? :confused: 

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: palmer]
    #1397829 - 03/21/03 07:43 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

how much is too much humidity?

For casings, above 90% RH is too much. Cakes are easy because it's hard to over-humidify them, but casings need more controlled humidity.

The best solution is to use a humidifier and a humidistat, but that's expensive. A less expensive option is to buy a good hygrometer and adjust your misting/fanning routine to average 85% to 90% RH.

Good luck!

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (03/23/03 02:08 PM)

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1397852 - 03/21/03 07:51 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Also, if you have only one fruiting chamber and several casings at different stages, you pretty much have no choice but to pick one compromise RH and stick with it.

This is one of the benefits of cold shocking! Keep them in the fridge until the last addition has been in for 24 hrs. Then put them all in the fruiting chamber. Keep air exchange and humidity optimal, and all of them should be ready for harvest within 6 hrs of eachother.

**Note** this will not work with multiple strains (unless they have very similar growth characteristics). Isolates work best! and strains showing little variability come in second.

passive humidification :
you can cover the casing tray loosely with seran wrap,and it will trap humidity .
lift the seran wrap once a day to let the condensation roll off, or you can flip it over .
when pins start remove it .

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1397880 - 03/21/03 07:58 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

For casings, above 90% RH is too much

This is not true.  My buddy uses a semi-closed system to control his humidity and air exchanges.  It consists of the standard cool mist and a sterlite tub with holes in it. A piece of tubing connects the two.  The tub has holes punched in various locations.  I believe he has 10 3/8" holes poked in the tub.  8 of the holes are taped up until 24 hrs or so after pins are noticeable, then all but 2 of the holes are uncovered for fruiting.  This gives ~95% humidity when covered and ~85-90% when uncovered.  He leaves the cool mist on 24-7 to keep air exchange constant throughout the entire process.

He doesn't use a hygrometer, and judges humidity mainly by condensation.

**Note-  the number of holes you need covered/ uncovered at any time will vary considering your local environment.

Quote:

passive humidification :
you can cover the casing tray loosely with seran wrap,and it will trap humidity .
lift the seran wrap once a day to let the condensation roll off, or you can flip it over .
when pins start remove it .

This is at the expense of optimal air exchange...  But if it works for you :smile:

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Edited by Olgualion (03/21/03 08:00 AM)

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: deanofmean]
    #1397887 - 03/21/03 08:02 AM (21 years, 13 days ago)

nevermind, i see what you are saying, that is a good idea..

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1399689 - 03/22/03 03:47 AM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

A friend of mine is on his first grow.  He has cakes and a casing in a rubbermaid/perlite terrarium.. he's keeping the humidity the same... both the cakes and the casing seem to be doing well... stems might be a lil fat on the casing and might have mycelium crawling up them but this doesn't really bother him :smile: Hope this helps. 

my friend is gonna be doing the exact same thing....cakes and casings of creeper in terrarium with perlite for humidty, with the rubbermaid turned upside down on the lid slightly tilted so fanning isnt necesarry 

Anonymous

Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1399825 - 03/22/03 04:58 AM (21 years, 12 days ago)

I don't really pay enough attention.. I just mist and fan.. mist and fan.. when it starts to pin I just fan, only lightly spray it if looks dry.

this is all you do for humidity? and it works? no perlite or anything? what sort of terrarium do you use?

OfflineBikeCourier
Bikecourier

Loc: Canada
    #1399882 - 03/22/03 05:29 AM (21 years, 12 days ago)

Picture please, please, please  :grin: 

--------------------
tanstaafl (or maybe there is)

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: BikeCourier]
    #1400190 - 03/22/03 08:12 AM (21 years, 12 days ago)

I looked, but couldn't find it. I know I posted the setup a few times. You could try to sift through my old posts, as im sure there's at least a couple pics of the setup in there.

Not to sound like a smart ass or anything, but just think about what is needed, and you will often come up with a better solution on your own than asking someone...

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #1412985 - 03/27/03 01:16 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

i believe when you said "hygrometer" you meant hydrometer, at least i hope. 

Quote:

For casings, above 90% RH is too much.

:confused: i disagree, from other people's experience, i stand by: more humidity = more pins.

Quote:

adjust your misting/fanning routine to average 85% to 90% RH.

definitly not, 85% humidity would be detremental to knots. (REF=the mushroom cultivator)

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: amyloid]
    #1413016 - 03/27/03 01:43 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

>i believe when you said "hygrometer" you meant hydrometer, at least i hope.

hygrometer = measures relative humidity

hydrometer = A weighted, hollow glass bulb with a long, graduated tube attached for measuring the density of a liquid. A hydrometer is placed in the liquid and the bulb sinks according to the density of the liquid. Graduations on the tube indicate the density.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: Anno]
    #1424692 - 04/02/03 10:30 PM (21 years, 14 hours ago)

err.  :grin:

--------------------
-Al Einstein

OfflineSailcheese
Farmer
Re: Who keeps humidity high for pinning? [Re: amyloid]
    #1426950 - 04/03/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

My casings are in a terrarium where the relative humidity is running around 98%, and its been 10 days. Th casings look fine, very healthy, but no pins should I drop the humidity? My terrerium has an air bubbler with a hepa filter box running by tubes into the terrarium, the air tubes then flow into smaller containers filled with perelite and water with lids with holes on it, is this too much humidity

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds