Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists
    #1426018 - 04/03/03 11:39 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists
(Reuters) - An Oregon anti-terrorism bill would jail street-blocking protesters for at least 25 years in a thinly veiled effort to discourage anti-war demonstrations, critics say.

The bill has met strong opposition but lawmakers still expect a debate on the definition of terrorism and the value of free speech before a vote by the state senate judiciary committee (news - web sites), whose Chairman, Republican Senator John Minnis, wrote the proposed legislation.

Dubbed Senate Bill 742, it identifies a terrorist as a person who "plans or participates in an act that is intended, by at least one of its participants, to disrupt" business, transportation, schools, government, or free assembly.

The bill's few public supporters say police need stronger laws to break up protests that have created havoc in cities like Portland, where thousands of people have marched and demonstrated against war in Iraq (news - web sites) since last fall.

"We need some additional tools to control protests that shut down the city," said Lars Larson, a conservative radio talk show host who has aggressively stumped for the bill.

Larson said protesters should be protected by free speech laws, but not given free reign to hold up ambulances or frighten people out of their daily routines, adding that police and the court system could be trusted to see the difference.

"Right now a group of people can get together and go downtown and block a freeway," Larson said. "You need a tool to deal with that."

The bill contains automatic sentences of 25 years to life for the crime of terrorism.

Critics of the bill say its language is so vague it erodes basic freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism under an extremely broad definition.

"Under the original version (terrorism) meant essentially a food fight," said Andrea Meyer of the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) (ACLU), which opposes the bill.

Police unions and minority groups also oppose the bill for fear it could have a chilling effect on relations between police and poor people, minorities, children and "vulnerable" populations.

Legislators say the bill stands little chance of passage.

"I just don't think this bill is ever going to get out of committee," said Democratic Senator Vicki Walker, one of four members on the six-person panel who have said they oppose the legislation.

from yahoo.com

mjshroomer.

More bulshit from the fucking republicans

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1426031 - 04/03/03 11:42 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Looks like John Ashcroft has some fans in Oregon.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1426071 - 04/03/03 11:58 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

What the fuck is going on?  I cant beleive how fast america is sliding... :tongue:
I mean if protesters are truly causing problems in cities, you'd think someone might listen to them...? :tongue:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1426083 - 04/03/03 12:01 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I am less likely to listen to people causing problems.

I think that proposed law is a piece of shit BTW

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1426093 - 04/03/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ouch! I don't like the sounds of this one. It's one thing to be sent to jail for doing something like blocking traffic(which I agree with), it is another to be labeled as a terrorist and be sent to jail for 25-life. It's almost MrCarthyism all over again.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1426123 - 04/03/03 12:12 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Exactly. It is a terrible thing. It will never pass though and if it does it will be quickly struck down by the courts.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists [Re: z@z.com]
    #1426124 - 04/03/03 12:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Just like the Patriot act?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists [Re: Rono]
    #1426129 - 04/03/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The main difference is that this is state law. Much more easily struck down than federal law.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1426132 - 04/03/03 12:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, i didn't mean "causing problems", in terms of blocking traffic or general vandalism...or anything....

I meant if the mass of people who are protesting this war are causing problems (through thier numbers) often, then somethings wrong with the leaders. :tongue: :grin:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1426141 - 04/03/03 12:21 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Unless the big groups of people are wrong. In that case a good leader will ignore them. We should not be governed by popular opinion.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1426167 - 04/03/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Your right....thats not how "democracy" works... :tongue:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1426173 - 04/03/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This isn't a democracy.

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1426289 - 04/03/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

That is scary... Its just like the book 1984. You will be punished if you have thoughts or views that are different.

I can't believe it. This is horrible. Now our own government calling the American people who love their country, terrorists?! What the FUCK is going on!!!!!

Its just freedom of speech, we are against this war because it is unncessary. It is unjustified. Just because we dont like the living of another country doesnt mean we should just go in there and blow them up.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists [Re: angryshroom]
    #1426297 - 04/03/03 01:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I feel I should point this out before everyone has a panic attack:
Quote:

Legislators say the bill stands little chance of passage.

"I just don't think this bill is ever going to get out of committee," said Democratic Senator Vicki Walker, one of four members on the six-person panel who have said they oppose the legislation.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1426363 - 04/03/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

On the other hand, a fellow co-worker just told me he heard this was going to be passed in more than one state! :shocked:

But im pretty sure thats just panicky gossip.....
...and hes not know for his sources... :smirk:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1426579 - 04/03/03 02:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ouch! I don't like the sounds of this one. It's one thing to be sent to jail for doing something like blocking traffic(which I agree with), it is another to be labeled as a terrorist and be sent to jail for 25-life. It's almost MrCarthyism all over again.

100% right.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Oregon Law Would Put Protestors in Prsion as Terrorists [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1426590 - 04/03/03 03:03 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Whoa! You agreed with something I said.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1426673 - 04/03/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Whoa! You agreed with something I said.

I'm not sure why that would surprise you. I don't agree with EVERY stance the right takes. Many, but not all.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineBowlKiller
----
    #1427348 - 04/03/03 10:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

right left, it doesnt matter. Man, come on people America is being taken over by evil men. WE the People have to, must, come together to fight this. I am so serious. Why does it take a crazy bill like this to wake people up. There are many bills being passed that totally destroy the Constitution. But people are just so uninformed about how these laws really work, our freedoms are being taken away.

Don't think Nazi style control of the people will not and can not happen in America because we are so "free". If you dont know know your rights, they can be taken away.

Do not let your mind be corrupted with the thought that if you give up your freedoms for security, you will somehow be more secure.

So, for anyone who does not understand how America can be sliding down hill so fast and so quickly.... It is NOT taking place quickly, its just that most Americans dont pay attention to what is going on. It is little be little people. Now your kind of waking up and wondering whoa what is all this. I mean have you not read patriot act 2 ??

Seriously dont get caught up in the right vs left stuff. If we dont work together to fight the power grabbing politicians there will not be any America left.

When I say fight, I guess I am thinking educate your self as to what the constitution says, spread the word about these crazy bills, and think.

--------------------
----

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1427497 - 04/03/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmm....fair enough.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom