Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera
    #1425440 - 04/03/03 04:28 AM (21 years, 4 hours ago)

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Loc: derby city
Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1425561 - 04/03/03 07:15 AM (21 years, 1 hour ago)

Al-Jazeera is the most untainted press in the region of the Middle East. But, this is besides the point. You can't really put the "Iraqi people" into one marginalized group. Iraq is made of many different racial and ethnic groups. Nationalism is a western ideology that has only been in the Middle East for about fifty years. So you can't really say accurately that the "Iraqi people" don't like Al-Jazeera.

--------------------
The times are good. The living is easy. The vibes are zingy.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: Prodijal_Son]
    #1425582 - 04/03/03 07:47 AM (21 years, 42 minutes ago)

Quote:

Al-Jazeera is the most untainted press in the region of the Middle East.

i'm sorry but i can't stop laughing..he he. I needed that.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1425627 - 04/03/03 08:24 AM (21 years, 5 minutes ago)

Please explain yourself. Notice how I said that Al-Jazeera is the most untainted news ... in ... the ... region ... of .. the ... Middle ... East ...

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1425654 - 04/03/03 08:34 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

what was funny is that they are the ONLY one in the middle east. But i could be wrong.

They make things up. Period. I trust CNN more then i would Al Jazeera, and that's hard for me to say.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1425660 - 04/03/03 08:38 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I trust CNN more then i would Al Jazeera, and that's hard for me to say.

For a Fox man :wink:

--------------------

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

#1425661 - 04/03/03 08:39 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

They're not the only ones. They're just the only ones that aren't state run. I'm sure they have an agenda of their own, and I don't agree with the showing of the pictures and what not, as it only perpetuates the stereotypical image of the violent MIddle East. But, for me there's really not an issue of trust, as no one really says anything about the extensive and complex issues that lead up to "terrorist" acts of the United States and other fundamentalist groups.

BTW ... George Bush is a religious fundamentalist. He'll tell you this a few years from now.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1425684 - 04/03/03 08:52 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

They're not the only ones. They're just the only ones that aren't state run.

That's debateable....

Quote:

I'm sure they have an agenda of their own, and I don't agree with the showing of the pictures and what not

That really didn't bother me at all. I just don't like them making up claims and creating news that isn't there.

Quote:

But, for me there's really not an issue of trust, as no one really says anything about the extensive and complex issues that lead up to "terrorist" acts of the United States and other fundamentalist groups.

Does it really matter? I mean if i call you a name and you hit me does it make it the fact that you assulted me ok? They kill people because they don't get their way, (ie: religion acceptance) or out of plain ignorance.

Quote:

BTW ... George Bush is a religious fundamentalist. He'll tell you this a few years from now.

Why are you telling me this? I couldn't careless about the religious aspects of this war. I do care about the deaths that are caused because radical muslims can't accept the fact that the whole world doesn't agree with them.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1425804 - 04/03/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"it only perpetuates the stereotypical image of the violent MIddle East"

Yeah, they've been getting a bum rap all along... they're the most peaceful region on the planet.

Al Jazeera is no more biased than say, CNN.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1425807 - 04/03/03 10:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Oh yeah, something to point out.

It's the Iraqi government that kicked Al Jazeera out. Not the Iraqi people.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1425813 - 04/03/03 10:24 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Inn- Are they making up claims, or are they just reporting information that turns out to be false.

I guarantee that every single piece of news from a western source has at least one piece of misinterpreted, or outright false information in it.

I could list off a good handful of completely false information that CNN or FOX have reported in this war alone.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: Phluck]
    #1425821 - 04/03/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I could list off a good handful of completely false information that CNN or FOX have reported in this war alone.

I'm sure you can. I have seen a ton of bad coverage, but it was all just mistakes or misinterpretations and not outright lies.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

Loc: England
Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: z@z.com]
    #1425828 - 04/03/03 10:30 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Why do you assume the same isn't true in the case of Al-Jazeera?

--------------------
This post has been brought to you by:

www.thedarkunderbelly.com/phpbb

Never give up, never surrender.

If you're seeing bitterness, perhaps the time has come to clean the shit from your eyes.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1425831 - 04/03/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I do care about the deaths that are caused because radical muslims can't accept the fact that the whole world doesn't agree with them.

You honestly think they're actually willing to fly a plane into the WTC just because we don't agree with them? Don't you think it might be an act of revenge for some harm we've caused in the region? It's exactly this kind of arrogance that makes the world hate us.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: Phluck]
    #1425837 - 04/03/03 10:33 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

there is a huge difference between reporting wrong or misinterpreted information than out and out lies. If you can't see the difference then i can't help but wonder why.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: friartuck]
    #1425838 - 04/03/03 10:33 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Why do you assume the same isn't true in the case of Al-Jazeera?

I should have been more specific. I don't know anything about Al-Jazeera. I have never watched it nor have I read much about it. I didn't mean to imply that they were telling lies.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1425846 - 04/03/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

there is a huge difference between reporting wrong or misinterpreted information than out and out lies. If you can't see the difference then i can't help but wonder why.

Can you name any of these "out and out lies" or are you just assuming that they're lying because of the bum rap they've got here in the U.S.?

--------------------

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

#1425874 - 04/03/03 10:50 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

In what position are you to determine what news is and isn't there?

Does it really matter? I mean if i call you a name and you hit me does it make it the fact that you assulted me ok? They kill people because they don't get their way, (ie: religion acceptance) or out of plain ignorance.

Killing people because they don't get their way? This is extreme simplification of the issue. First off ... they kill people because their way of life is being marginalized and extenguished by imperialism, colonialism, Westernization, and modernization.

First you have to differentiate between the Baath Regime and Islamists. If you're talking about the Baath then you're not talking about Islam. The Baath regime uses words like jihad to provoke and evoke Arab Muslims against the West and is a tactic that the Baath regime has been using for about two weeks old.

If you're talking about Islamists, try not the generalize them into a one big group of extremists. If you want to talk about radicals, such as bin Laden, Khomenei, etc. then you have to realize that this is not a religiuous issue. They use religion for their own purposes.

Yes it does. If it didn't people would go around formulating opinions without any knowledge to base it on.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Seems the iraqi's don't like al-Jazeera [Re: silversoul7]
    #1425877 - 04/03/03 10:51 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Can you name any of these "out and out lies" or are you just assuming that they're lying because of the bum rap they've got here in the U.S.?

Reports that american soldiers are beating and toturing POW's is completly false. I don't believe it for a second. We treat our POW's better than we do some of our own people. We DON"T kill civilians as a primary objective, etc.

This is a pretty good article on the differences between american media and Al-Jazeera

NEW YORK — When Americans turn on their televisions each day to learn the latest details about the Iraq war, they get a story vastly different from the one broadcast to the Arab world.

Millions in the U.S. see a version of the war in which coalition forces are fighting to disarm a vicious dictator and liberate an oppressed people. But in the Middle East, the mostly state-run Arab media represents Operation Iraqi Freedom as a push to expand American power.

"The invasion of Iraq has been portrayed as an act of American colonialism and the application of brutal force against the poor Iraqis," said Middle East analyst Richard Dekmejian.

Media experts say that in general, the Arab press has a strong anti-American bias.

In San Francisco, Jamal Dajani — director of WorldLink Middle East Programming — monitors 16 Middle East newscasts. He then compiles a daily summary called "Mosaic" that's translated into English and aired on the WorldLink channel.

"They're portraying this as an invasion, (saying) it's a war for oil, it's a war for colonization," said Dajani. "Only Kuwait television is portraying it as the liberation of Iraq."

Iraqi television has shown armed civilians cheering the deaths of American soldiers and has gone to great lengths to present property damage and civilian casualties.

"We are hungry and our house was destroyed," said an elderly Iraqi woman on TV. "Why are they hitting civilians?"

And Al-Jazeera's new English-version Web site includes pictures of American prisoners of war and headlines like "U.S. 'Precision' Bomb Destroys Civilian Bus."

The U.S. has set up its own media outlets to bring the Western point of view to the Middle East.

Radio Sawa, broadcast in Arabic and based in Washington, D.C., has become a weapon in the battle for the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people — offering a mix of American and Arab popular music and news updates 24 hours a day.

After just a year on the air, the station — which targets youth — is broadcast in every Arab country, reaching 25 percent of the world's Arab population.

Even though Sawa (Arabic for "together") is funded by the U.S. Congress, station managers and staff say their goal is to communicate effectively without sounding like American propaganda.

"We need to create a channel of communication with these people if we are ever going to work on changing opinions," said Bert Kleinman, programming consultant for Radio Sawa.

The strategy seems to be working, at least among some Kuwaitis.

"It's a good channel because now we are looking for facts and it gives us the facts," said Kuwait City youth Bander Al Saqry. "Al-Jazeera is not good. They don't tell the truth."

Additionally, under the direction of former U.S. Ambassador to Iraq David Newton, a Prague-based American radio station called Radio Free Iraq — whose staff is composed of mostly Iraqis — offers a perspective different than that of the state-run Arab media.

Newton told The Prague Post that the station tries to report news accurately to the Iraqi people.

"As a surrogate radio station, we are supposed to be giving them the kind of responsible journalism that they would be getting if they had a democracy," he told the Post.

The Post reported that some American media organizations, as well as the Iraqi government, have characterized Radio Free Iraq as U.S. propaganda, an accusation Newton refutes. The station was created in 1998 by former President Bill Clinton as a way of dealing with growing tensions between Iraq and the U.S., according to the Post.

But despite these efforts to bring another side of the story to the Middle East, when all is said and done, America and the Arab world could be left with two completely different perceptions of how and why the war was fought.

"We are broadcasting to a very sophisticated and skeptical audience," Kleinman of Radio Sawa said. "We are going to have a huge job to do to re-establish and continue the good will toward the U.S. and the Middle East."

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1425892 - 04/03/03 11:00 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that no POWs we've captured are being beaten and tortured by American soldiers? I'm sure that 99% of them are being treated just fine, but there could easily be an exception to this.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags