Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Air Stone, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePhalanxx
Stranger
Loc: Europe
Air-to-cake ratio
    #1425793 - 04/03/03 12:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Guys,
My last crop was quite poor due to putting too many cakes into a tub and not airing them enough. I had 4 cakes in one 10 litre (2.5 US gallon) tub and 5 in another. I was only airing once a day. I had 1" of moist perlite in the bottom of each tub so humidity wasnt a problem and they were kept at the right fruiting temperature.
I tried putting 2 cakes into one 10 litre tub and aired them 3 times a day, and they suddenly sprang into life! I have some 25 litre (6.8 US gallon) storage bins, and I was thinking of using them instead, with 5 cakes per bin ( 5 litres per cake ). For airing just 3 times per day, would that be ok?
One other point. I have noticed that pins or small growing shrooms with wet ( not just moist ) heads usually seem to abort. I mean an actual glistening film of water over the whole cap. These wet heads usually grow from the base of the cake, especially when base-cased with moist verm or after dunking. Should cakes with wet heads be removed from the fruiting chamber to be allowed to dry out a bit, and then put back? It's as if they are oversaturated with water and can't "sweat" it off due to the ultra high humidity of moist perlite. Is it an issue?
I'm not misting the cakes at all. Paul Stamets in "The Mushroom Cultivator" says that if humidity is too high during the fruiting stage (not pinning stage) the mushrooms will abort or at least grow very slowly. I've read about mushrooms growing from cakes directly on the perlite being quite soggy and rotting. Maybe if they were allowed to transpire more they would fruit ok. Maybe the amount of airing needed depends on the moisture content of the substrate or casing. I've read that cased grain needs a lower humidity than cakes. Will shrooms on cased grain abort if the humidity is too high? Do aborted pins on grain due to high humidity look wet? It's hard to separate the carbon dioxide issue from the mushroom transpiration issue because fanning solves both problems!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Air-to-cake ratio [Re: Phalanxx]
    #1426006 - 04/03/03 01:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Try paragraphs dude... easier to read and more fun.

Don't leave your cakes on the wet perlite.. if they are real dry, then ok, but after a day, place a piece of foil under them so they don't get soggy.

A growing mushroom is a growing mushroom, if you caps are wet, glistening wet... then do something about it ,,, unless they have already abhorted *( black heads ). Then pick them. Otherwise.

Instead of fanning all the time, rig up a fish tank air pump ( 10 $ ) and run an air line .

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Edited by PooPs (04/03/03 01:39 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1427919 - 04/04/03 05:44 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblePhalanxx
Stranger
Loc: Europe
Re: Air-to-cake ratio [Re: Magash]
    #1428359 - 04/04/03 10:49 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for your replies.

Poops, what is the volume of the grow chamber u use, the number of cakes in it, and how many air excanges per 24 hours does the air pump give?

Magash, how many air exchanges per 24 hrs does your setup give? What is the volume of the bin, and how much air does the air pump give per hour?

I'm sure there is a limit on the amount of air exchange for cakes, even if the incoming air is humidified. Air flow dries the cakes slowly but surely. That's what worries me about using an air pump.

I will have to experiment. Putting an air diffuser under perlite/geolite isa good idea, but would the water in the bottom get stinky? Could a drop or 2 of iodine be used? Would the smell of it harm the cakes? Would it work ok in just a deep layer of perlite, without any layer of water? I presume the perlite would dry out quickly.

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

#1428454 - 04/04/03 11:56 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't do cakes. not worth the effort.

Casings all the way baby!!! ohhhhh yeah.

I never measured, i just run a vicks cool mist 24/7 inside a sterlite bin, piped with dryer hose, running current of air, you can feel it with your hand.

And my casings DON"T dry out.!! ( they are a bit too wet actually!!, i don't even have to mist them ).

i'll see if i can find the pic... got one in log forum. be right back.

--------------------

-----------
------------------

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Re: Air-to-cake ratio [Re: PooPs]
    #1428464 - 04/04/03 12:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

-----------
------------------

Edited by PooPs (04/04/03 12:07 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Air Stone, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation