Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDiacetylmentlegen
Gentleman
Male

Loc: Ireland Flag
Poisonous mushrooms that look like Semilanceata?
    #14165700 - 03/22/11 04:50 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Just a quick question...

I read a mushroom identification guide a while ago and it mentioned several actives that looked like semilanceata but I noticed it didn't mention any poisonous lookalikes in the appropriate section.

Being that it's one of the more well-known kinds of psilocybin mushroom, I'd expect them to mention any notable poisonous lookalikes.

So, are there any mushrooms to worry about that look like semilanceata? I certainly have seen mushrooms (only a few mind, it was out of season really I think, being summer) that looked like semilanceata to my untrained eyes and was wondering.

--------------------
"When I recall it and when I recall various other symptoms... I think the simplest explanation is... that I had these experiences, that they were real... and that they took place outside time." - Christopher Mayhew

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: Poisonous mushrooms that look like Semilanceata? [Re: Diacetylmentlegen]
    #14166766 - 03/22/11 07:55 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

to an untrained eye and in a newer field there is a chance you might confuse a smaller Galerina with a lib i guess. and maybe a Conocybe tenera which i am not sure if its poisonuos or not. then there is Entoloma sericeum , again i dont know if its poisonus but i wouldnt eat it myself. but there isnt all that many poisonous lookalikes in a lib field and it really all depends on the level of noob.there is many unactive mushrooms that you might confuse with what wont hurt you, like Stropharia semiglobatta, Deconica coprophila and physaloides, or Panaelous foenesscii and papilionaceus .

but being certain of mushroom id is always the key.

--------------------

OfflineDiacetylmentlegen
Gentleman
Male

Re: Poisonous mushrooms that look like Semilanceata? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #14177425 - 03/24/11 05:40 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:
maybe a Conocybe tenera which i am not sure if its poisonuos or not.

Yes... that does look quite similar. Entoloma sericeum... looks dark in most of the pictures on Google, and most look very different but some look quite similar apart from the colour...

Another thing I meant to ask: Are there any that look like semilanceata AND have a dangerously similar spore print colour?

--------------------
"When I recall it and when I recall various other symptoms... I think the simplest explanation is... that I had these experiences, that they were real... and that they took place outside time." - Christopher Mayhew

OfflineDiacetylmentlegen
Gentleman
Male

#14246236 - 04/06/11 06:11 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Want to give this another bump.

Had another little look around the web... still doesn't seem to be anywhere saying there are any dangerous lookalikes.

It's just that if there weren't any poisonous semilanceata lookalikes (at least where I am), then I guess it'd be safe to assume that any mushroom that looked reasonably like semilanceata from some amateur identification isn't poisonous.

EDIT: Someone mentioned this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galerina_marginata

Which looks a BIT... like an orange version of semilanceata... but honestly I can't see a great resemblance that would warrant any concern. It looks more like an umbrella shape and the spores are brown.

--------------------

Edited by Diacetylmentlegen (04/06/11 06:20 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #14246266 - 04/06/11 06:26 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Galerina marginata is a wood lover, and hence not likely to be confused with ps. semilanceata which tends to grow among grass.

To the best of my knowledge there are no dangerous species that are likely to be confused with ps. semilanceata as long as one is looking in the right habitat. Very often, panaeolus species are mistaken for liberty caps, but they will at worst give you a case of the runnies and nothing more. Conocybe albipes is also sometimes mistaken for semilanceata, but the species is not poisonous as long as it isn't administered intravenously.

OfflineDiacetylmentlegen
Gentleman
Male

Re: Poisonous mushrooms that look like Semilanceata? [Re: koraks]
    #14246288 - 04/06/11 06:41 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds good then :soundsgoodman:

--------------------

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
    #14246319 - 04/06/11 07:06 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

When I'm hunting, sometimes I'll catch a Mycena out of the corner of my eye, but once I get close and see the cap and stem texture are wrong and the gill colour is wrong, it's quite obvious that it's not a lib.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #14247428 - 04/06/11 01:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The term lookalike is very subjective, mushrooms that some people consider lookalikes other people would never confuse. 

If you pay close attention to the gill color and other features you won't have any problems.

Also there aren't that many toxic grassland habitat mushrooms.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #14248338 - 04/06/11 04:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

OP, I hope you aren't planning on hunting libs right now. Try in about 4-5 months.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom